Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Remington 700 barrel

Last year I got a great deal on a brand new Remington 700 so I snapped it up thinking I'd take up target shooting. Only issue is it has a skinny barrel and I've since noticed that most of the new ones have bigger, beefier ones. I was going to buy a Hunter 700 stock for it and continue with other upgrades but now I'm wondering if the barrel will always be the weak point. I started looking at changing the barrel but by the time I buy the replacement and a barrel vice I might as well buy a new rifle.

Any thoughts? Shall I just sell it and start fresh?
    "Missed it by that much."

Aftermarket barrels will always be favoured over a factory one. "might as well buy a new rifle" does not apply - cause you'll end up replacing the barrel on the new one too!
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

IJ22 (01-16-2019), YVRguy (01-27-2018)

If you're going to do a bunch of upgrades, might as well sell the gun, buy a receiver and build from there

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Why dont you give the guys at EM Precision a call and see what they have to say ? Steve and Shane build one hell of a rifle. Im not going to give you any false impressions here. High end long range rifles arent cheap to build. It all boils down to how precise you want the gun to be. It doesnt cost anything to talk to them. If you were looking to spend say $1500 total, including what youve already spent, for a complete rifle start looking at selling yours and look for something off the shelf. If you want a true competition level precision rifle, then its going to be a bit more than that.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 01-18-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

6. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

YVRguy (01-27-2018)

I had very good results with my factory barreled 700. I started with a SPS 700 varmit in 308 (I think the SPS is some kind of abbreviation for spaghetti stock). Put a Timney under it set @ 2 lbs, dropped it into a MacMillain A2 with a pillar bedding job and with factory match ammo, I'm down to .5 MOA, it did take a fair bit to season the barrel to get down there though, probably a 100 rounds. Without glass, I'm into it for around $2K. The down side is tips the bathroom scale @ 11 lbs.
    Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Run 'n' Gun

killer kane (08-16-2018), lone-wolf (01-19-2018), YVRguy (01-27-2018)

Do not buy anything else until you decide on the barrel.
    "...and a barrel vice..." You have the other tools(like the headspace gauges) and the skill? Headspace gauges can be rented Stateside and brought across the border with no fuss though. It also needs a solid bench and a great big mallet(a 4 foot long, 2" Al bar works well.).
    Usually best to have a barrel put on by a smithy. Epp's smithy wants $150.00 plus the cost of the barrel. Local prices should be close to that. Contact Mystic Precision for Canadian prices for several 'name' barrel makers. http://mysticprecision.com/
    Alberta Tactical Rifle wants $700Cdn to gussy up an M700.
    "...buy a receiver..." Easier said than done. Remington does not sell 'em separately. Especially since YVRguy already has one.

Actually, Remington does sell them, Wolverines has a SS short action, not cheap though $640.
    Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Run 'n' Gun

Camo tung (01-16-2019)

A skinny barrel can still shoot good. The heavy barrels won't heat up as quick though

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Grey_Wolf

Suputin (01-17-2019)

The difference is that a heavy 'bull' barrel won't heat up as quickly. If you are using your Remington 700 for hunting then I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are using it for target shooting you will likely get frustrated as the barrel heats up and accuracy suffers.

15. The Following User Liked This Post By aharwood

YVRguy (01-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by aharwood View Post
    The difference is that a heavy 'bull' barrel won't heat up as quickly. If you are using your Remington 700 for hunting then I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are using it for target shooting you will likely get frustrated as the barrel heats up and accuracy suffers.
    Yeah, that's exactly the point. it will be primarily for target but with the possibility of hunting down the road. I'm thinking for what I want I need to change the barrel.
    "Missed it by that much."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast