Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Target Sports in Gormley robbed early this morning.

A gun range in Gormley was broken into in the morning of Jan. 23.

Several firearms were stolen from Target Sports Canada in Gormley at around 4:50 a.m.

The suspects forced entry into the building through a side door, York Regional Police said.

Police are appealing to witnesses and especially anyone with a dashcam driving near the area around the time of the incident.

The gun range is on 14 Stalwart Industrial Dr. Nearby roads were closed in the morning after the incident. The range is closed and surrounded by police tape while police investigate.

Target Sports Canada’s website said it had an “emergency range closure” for Jan. 23.

Anyone with information is asked to contact York Regional Police at 1-866-876-5423.

THAT's why they were suddenly closed on Tuesday. I wondered about that.

I was there on Sunday, and as I entered, I looked at the entrance to the place, and thought to myself that it would be impossible to drive a truck through their front window like had happened in some other gun shops that were robbed out west.

But yes, that side door by by the parking was an obvious security gap.

Damn. Bad news for the Toronto gun community, for sure. Are gun store robberies getting more frequent, or just more media attention?
    Last edited by TJSpeller; 01-24-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    CSSA CCFR CPC

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    And yet there are still idjit people who think all firearms should be stored in a centralized armoury. I hope they have a advanced video surveillance system.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

5. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By FALover

Coke (01-24-2018), Gaidheal (02-09-2018), Gunexpert007 (01-24-2018), Specter Arms (01-25-2018)

It is tough to stop a determined thief ; and I suspect the guns would be in the wind pretty quickly . I wonder what type of firearms were stolen , and if they went after certain firearms ?
    " Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ The warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm. " .... " And I looked , and behold a pale horse ; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."...." I will execute great vengeance on them with wrathful rebukes. Then they will know that I am the LORD, when I lay my vengeance upon them.” ; Ezekiel 25:17

From what I have seen guns get locked up in safes each night at the 2 local shops out here. Curious if that was the case.

The cops appealing for people driving by with dashcams doesn't make me think they had great security camera coverage...
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

Gun shops get broken into regularly. Fortunately, this time nobody was hurt. Stupid media can't get it through their thick heads that it's not a gun range. It's a business like any other that has become the victim of a crime.
    Does sound like Target has no alarm system though. Kind of surprised their insurance company didn't insist on that.
    "...centralized armoury..." It's your property they want to control. Gun shops they want closed altogether.

I never liked that place. Crowded, dirty, terrible ventilation, rude staff.and over priced shelf items.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By tdod101

DBenn (01-25-2018), Neil Burke (02-09-2018)

Disagree with above
    1) They do (or at least used to) have an alarm.
    2) I've been a member there for 7 or 8 years, and I've never had trouble with the staff, found them helpful. They let me borrow their "public" guns when I bring a friend to shoot. No charge.
    3) Ventilation was an issue, but fixed. ANY indoor range that sees high volume use will have issues with ventilation, no matter how much is spent trying to fix it.
    4) There is no other place anywhere near Toronto with a decent range you can use year round.
    5) No one is forcing you to buy their product. If I can get it cheaper online, I do. But I've bought ammo on sale there for reasonable prices, mags, IPSC gear, cleaning supplies, 5.11 stuff, rifle case, etc. Didn't feel ripped off, and buying in person is a lot more satisfying than buying online.
    6) Their facilities are as good as or better than the washrooms, sitting areas, etc in any other club I've been to in the GTA. Granted I haven't seen them all.

It's not perfect, but if Target Sports and the associated gun clubs (Grange, now Calibre) didn't exist, I doubt I would be active in shooting sports, because it's just too far of a drive from Toronto to get to any place where you can enjoy handguns year round.

The thing I most dislike about this range is having to shoot next to some idiots taking photos of each other, and always having to keep an eye on them because I'm worried that they are going to sweep me with their gun or something. Members someetimes bring friends to shoot, and don't supervise them adequately. But that can't be helped if Target is going to be a place where the general public comes to be introduced to guns, which is something that our society needs. I first fired a handgun there, before I got my PAL, and if Target Sports hadn't been there, I might never have started this hobby/sport.
    Last edited by TJSpeller; 01-25-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    CSSA CCFR CPC

To all,

Firstly, td0d101, I invite you to come in and see the place as I am sure it has changed significantly from when you were there last. Over the past 2 years alone, I have invested over 2 million into the facility and I am very happy with the results.

The shooting bays were completely rebuilt.

As to the robbery:

Yes we are alarmed, yes we secure the firearms and yes, the side door is a weak link. It was far more fortified, but the fire dept made us downgrade everything.

The system all worked and the police were there in under 5 minutes. We are told they have some serious leads as well.

We also have other layered security inside which I'm not debating on a public forum.

Please remember, we are the victim and took a lot of care to protect the goods. The people that broke in, knew what they were doing.

We've now taken added steps and the fire dept has backed down as well... too little too late. So, we are hoping we can prevent this in the future. However, some things are out of our control.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, please drop me a line offline: jr@theedgegroup.ca

JR

13. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By TSE JR

88 louie (02-09-2018), LB303 (02-09-2018), RangeBob (02-09-2018), Superfly (02-09-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast