Moncton Cabelas just closed!

Just got word Cabelas in Moncton sent the staff home this morning and media relations said the store is closing for good

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Seriously? Is this because the Cabelas/Bass Pro merging..?
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...tore-1.4546733

Cabela's in Moncton has closed.

The hunting and fishing store closed indefinitely on Thursday, officials confirmed to CBC News.

When the store opened in 2015, about 150 people were hired.

It was the American retailer's first location in Atlantic Canada.

Since then, the company Bass Pro Shop purchased Cabela's.

Halifax is slated to get a new Cabela's store.

Moncton city council voted to rename the street from Portico Court to Cabela's Court.

The company isn't offering any more details about the closure at this time.

With files from Gabrielle Fahymy
    Last edited by RobertMcC; 02-22-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Dont have any more details. Guess it was a suprise to most of staff. I will no more later today.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

My guess is that Moncton isn't big enough to support both stores and seeing Bass Pro bought out Cabelas the decision to close the latter was the "obvious" choice. Reminds me of the Future Shop/Best Buy thing. My guess is that Cabelas days are numbered everywhere. It's too bad.
    Make the Afghanistan War Memorial publicly accessible https://afghanistanwarmemorial.ca/
    Don't let the public forget about #LAVSCAM https://lavscam.info

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

labradort (02-22-2018), Swampdonkey (02-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    My guess is that Moncton isn't big enough to support both stores and seeing Bass Pro bought out Cabelas the decision to close the latter was the "obvious" choice. Reminds me of the Future Shop/Best Buy thing. My guess is that Cabelas days are numbered everywhere. It's too bad.
    There's a local rumour that all the Cabela's branded items will go on blowout sale soon and the name will be changed. Always from someone who knows someone that knows someone else who knows though....
    I've also heard rumours of the gun library and bargain cave disappearing in favour of boats and Arctic Cats. The bargain cave has gone to absolute shite since shortly after the change in management..... Gun library seems to still be bringing in more guns. It was getting a little dry in there, they restocked in the last week or so.

Locals should keep an eye on their dumpsters. I may or may not know of some people who emptied the dumpster from the mail order warehouse when they left Winnipeg for Alberta. They toss everything that is deemed not worth the shipping cost to another store. Tents will be slashed, but other items are harder to destroy.....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's not just Moncton, though, you almost have to see Moncton as a draw for the entire 2 million people in the Maritimes because of their location.

It's entirely different than a city like London Ont that's surrounded by a ton of other similar cities. Even Fredericton and Saint John don't have anywhere near as much as Moncton.

I think this has more to do with the buy out than it does with it not being big enough.

I hope they at least open for a big sale, I'd spend a shitload.
    Don’t order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    It's not just Moncton, though, you almost have to see Moncton as a draw for the entire 2 million people in the Maritimes because of their location.
    I know but it is mostly just the Moncton and surrounding area on any given day that is shopping there. Not too many people drive 4 to 6 hours just to go to Cabelas. With Cabelas opening in Halifax this spring you can eliminate nearly half that potential customer base for the Moncton store as well.
    Make the Afghanistan War Memorial publicly accessible https://afghanistanwarmemorial.ca/

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

lone-wolf (02-22-2018)

I know but it is mostly just the Moncton and surrounding area on any given day that is shopping there. Not too many people drive 4 to 6 hours just to go to Cabelas. With Cabelas opening in Halifax this spring you can eliminate nearly half that potential customer base for the Moncton store as well.
    no different than cost co. They wont build one in the Valley. But people from the South end and the Valley drive all the way to Halifax to shop at Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    no different than cost co. They wont build one in the Valley. But people from the South end and the Valley drive all the way to Halifax to shop at Costco.
    The population dispersion is different. From Windsor to Digby is just 80,000 people and the drive to Halifax is only 1 to 2 hours.

Just hit CBC. It's closing because of my theory in post #8. I want a chicken dinner.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...tore-1.4546733

Cabela's closes Moncton store after less than 3 years
    Hunting and fishing retailer has no plans to close any other Canadian locations 'for the foreseeable future'

Cabela's, the retail giant whose presence thrilled Moncton so much it named a street after the store, closed Thursday after less than three years in the city.

The hunting, fishing and outdoor gear retailer believes it can "better serve" its customers in the region with the existing Bass Pro Shops location in neighbouring Dieppe and the new Halifax-area Cabela's store, scheduled to open this spring, said Cabela's Incorporated spokesman Nathan Borowski.

"We have no plans to close any other Canadian locations for the foreseeable future," he said in an emailed statement.

"Most" of the 25 full-time employees in Moncton are being given the opportunity to transfer to Dieppe or the Halifax area, said Borowski.

When the store opened in May 2015, about 150 people were hired for full time, part time and seasonal work.

Staff were sent home on Thursday morning.

Brown paper and closed signs now cover the windows of the 50,000-square-foot store at 100 Cabela's Crt.

A security guard was turning customers away and directing them to Bass Pro Shops at 1 Promenade Bass Pro Dr., about 10 minutes away in the Champlain Place shopping centre.

Len Bryden said he was disappointed to find the Moncton Cabela's closed, but he would probably stop at Bass Pro Shops in Dieppe instead. (CBC)
    Bass Pro will honour Cabela's gift cards, returns, warranties and promotions, said Borowski.

Len Bryden was one of the turned-away customers. He was driving back home to Halifax from Fredericton and was looking forward to doing some shopping at Cabela's.

"It was a bit of a shock, for sure," said Bryden, adding he was disappointed.

Bryden said the loss of jobs in the city is also "unfortunate."

"I hope that the workers find suitable employment soon."

A security guard was breaking the news to Cabela's customers in Moncton on Thursday and directing them to Bass Pro Shops in Dieppe instead. (CBC)
    Bass Pro bought Cabela's in a $4.5 billion US deal announced in October 2016.

Moncton was the American retail giant's first location in Atlantic Canada.

Cabela's has 10 locations in Canada, including Calgary and Edmonton, where it has two stores, Abbotsford and Nanaimo in B.C., Barrie and Ottawa in Ontario, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg, according to its website.

The closed signs tell customers to call a 1-800 number for information regarding returns, exchanges or gift cards. (CBC)
    The Moncton store's website has already been disabled.

"We're sorry. The resource you were looking for could not be found or is not available," it states.

The closed signs on the store windows instruct customers with questions about returns, exchanges or gift cards to call a 1-800 number.

When the store opened, Moncton city council voted to rename the street from Portico Court to Cabela's Court.