Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IJ22 View Post
    Haven't you heard? Laws don't grant or revoke rights, they uphold them or violate them.
    Ok, sure. But our rights have to be written somewhere, in order for the law to uphold or violate them.
    If there is no written right, then it is not legitimate.

People cannot spew the same "We have a right to...." as the American's do, here in Canada. Because it does not apply here.
    MetisWolf

Part Wolf, Part Metis - All Gun Owner and Canadian

Natural rights MetisWolf, natural rights. Governments recognize or infringe upon natural rights.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Pew pew pew

3. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

3MTA3 (03-04-2018), Coke (03-04-2018), IJ22 (03-04-2018), infidel29 (03-06-2018), Swampdonkey (03-05-2018)

peoplekind have the right to pay tax and um wear socks. uh, they have the right to um, wave gay pride flags. there will never be a right to defend yourself because if you kill your enemys... they win
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Steveo9mm

infidel29 (03-06-2018), RELOAD (03-04-2018)

That's ok. The phrase "stupid people win stupid prizes" comes to mind. So on that note, if being dead is the prize for "winning" then I'd rather lose.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Jay.ec

Swampdonkey (03-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by MetisWolf View Post
    Ok, sure. But our rights have to be written somewhere, in order for the law to uphold or violate them.
    If there is no written right, then it is not legitimate.

People cannot spew the same "We have a right to...." as the American's do, here in Canada. Because it does not apply here.
    Worked for LGBTQ... Worked for gay marriage. Worked for women in the army. You have to stand for your rights and press for the law to be changed. If you resign yourself to not having rights until something is written somewhere you'll be in a virtual gulag forever.

Worked for LGBTQ... Worked for gay marriage. Worked for women in the army. You have to stand for your rights and press for the law to be changed. If you resign yourself to not having rights until something is written somewhere you'll be in a virtual gulag forever.
    And how do we exactly decide what those rights are? Where do we find these rights? Thus kind of my point, how can the law infringe on or enforce rights, if we don't even know what they are. I know someone mentioned "Natural Rights", but how do you define those too? Where do they end? If there is no written "rights" other then those already defined, how do you define them? What makes it so i cannot make something up?
    MetisWolf

Part Wolf, Part Metis - All Gun Owner and Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by MetisWolf View Post
    And how do we exactly decide what those rights are? Where do we find these rights? Thus kind of my point, how can the law infringe on or enforce rights, if we don't even know what they are. I know someone mentioned "Natural Rights", but how do you define those too? Where do they end? If there is no written "rights" other then those already defined, how do you define them? What makes it so i cannot make something up?
    Of course. Make one up and plead your case, maybe you'll be successful at getting a law enacted to protect your made up right. It can happen. Lauren Southern is a man. That's her right. Sounds pretty made up to me.

Peoples idea of what their rights are is fluid. Usually as a society we come to some consensus on what constitutes a right, and codify them in law. It's not written in stone and we don't always get it right the first time. The Canadian charter of rights is a good example, someone decided those are our rights and wrote them down. Did anybody ask you if the list is correct or complete? Nobody asked me. So lets get it amended. The courts do that all the time. For example, the Supreme Court decided you have the right to not be offended. I see that as a made up right, yet there it is, in law. So let's get our right to defend ourselves codified.

For example, the Supreme Court decided you have the right to not be offended. I see that as a made up right, yet there it is,
    Do you mean the Whatcott case?

Speech capable of causing emotions that are negative but that fall short of full-fledged “abhorrence,” the Supreme Court dictated, cannot be banned. Another key detail is that truth is no defense: it is impermissible even to state demonstrable facts if, in the authorities' estimation, those facts might spark enmity toward a group. Yet another point worth mentioning is that any judgment rendered in such matters must, the Court posited, be arrived at in an “objective” manner.
    -- February 28, 2013, Bill Whatcott, https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/179...ch-bruce-bawer
    https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/sc...12876/index.do

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Do you mean the Whatcott case?

Speech capable of causing emotions that are negative but that fall short of full-fledged “abhorrence,” the Supreme Court dictated, cannot be banned. Another key detail is that truth is no defense: it is impermissible even to state demonstrable facts if, in the authorities' estimation, those facts might spark enmity toward a group. Yet another point worth mentioning is that any judgment rendered in such matters must, the Court posited, be arrived at in an “objective” manner.
    -- February 28, 2013, Bill Whatcott, https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/179...ch-bruce-bawer
    https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/sc...12876/index.do
    I don't remember, I think it had something to do with the Human Rights Commission controversy. I'll see if I can find it. That might be it.

laws, rights, not really relevant to me if you're trying to harm my family, I'm going to shoot you in the head, several times

it's a natural response to defend yourself and your family, that to me could define a natural right

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast