Nikon M-223 or Similar for Mini-14 Ranch Rifle?

Has anyone had much experience with using a scope for .223 close-range quick acquisition plus mid range accuracy? I'm not in love with my scout mount red dot (relies on batteries & dot obscures the target at 200m+), and want to get the most out of my beloved ranch rifle. I was thinking about the Nikon M-223 2-8 x 32 with the bullet drop reticle. Seems compact, no batteries, and about the right price range at <$400. Any opinions on this scope or type of scope setup for AR-like applications?

Yep for it's price it's not a bad scope. Even more so when dealing with cyotee's.

www.canadianreloadradio.ca
    I'm really happy with mine. The only thing I wish it had was a mil dot type reticle so I would have some horizontal aiming points. The turrets have held up really well though. I've used it for service rifle competition so far.
    Andrew Craig
    Host
    CANADIAN RELOAD RADIO

Canadian Pro-Gun Internet Radio
    Find us on iTunes, Blackberry, Facebook & Stitcher

Quote Originally Posted by SPRTN308 View Post
    I'm really happy with mine. The only thing I wish it had was a mil dot type reticle so I would have some horizontal aiming points. The turrets have held up really well though. I've used it for service rifle competition so far.
    That's good to hear. Have you used the BDC reticle with much success? I assume it is magnification dependent, and you likely have to use their software if your cartridge of choice doesn't match Nikon's math.

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    Yep for it's price it's not a bad scope. Even more so when dealing with cyotee's.
    What sort of distances (short and longer) have you used it for, and could you pick out the varmints quickly and clearly at both?

It certainly seems more immediately gratifying than the traditional method of coyote control (leaving an ACME catalogue in a field and watching their hilarious self-destruction).

Quote Originally Posted by &14ALL View Post
    That's good to hear. Have you used the BDC reticle with much success? I assume it is magnification dependent, and you likely have to use their software if your cartridge of choice doesn't match Nikon's math.
    Only at 100 & 200, but it worked well. I use the turrets mostly. It's a good product, and, the Nikon spot on website is great for customizing and charts.
    Andrew Craig
    Host
    CANADIAN RELOAD RADIO

Canadian Pro-Gun Internet Radio
    Find us on iTunes, Blackberry, Facebook & Stitcher