Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red dot for 200yd rifle?

Would it be a good idea?

I am wondering if I can put a red dot instead of a scope on a 5.56/.308 Ruger American Ranch(16") for range use mostly from the bench out to 200yards max. If so, which red dot under $300? Trying to keep the total cost under $1000 if possible for a compact rifle.

Thanks!
    CCFR CSSA

Senior Member Weekend Gunslingers's Avatar
    I am by no means a precision shooter, but I have a Vortex SPARC AR on my Tavor X95. It is my go to Coyote gun. If you practice with the dot and know your holds, 200yds is a breeze with it. Just my opinion.

Just keep in mind a red dot will never produce the groups you can get with a variable optic for example if you are shooting for groups. Dropping a coyote at 200 with a dot is very doable.
    "Never step in anything soft"
    Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYm...-sW1YrMRwIkTaQ

RobertMcC
    Well you might need a under 3 MOA dot. Bushnell TRS25 are decent red dots for around 100.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

Hidyn (04-04-2018)

Just aquired a marlin 336 in 30-30, sort of an overall goal is this;
    daily-man-up-20150504-11.jpg

I dont see why a red dot or an mrd would be much different than iron sights(except ease of use/visability). As noted an actual scope will give tighter groups, but even an 6" group at 200 is a dead deer
    Last edited by Haywire1; 04-02-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Haywire1

Rory McCanuck (04-02-2018), Weekend Gunslingers (04-02-2018)

Senior Member Weekend Gunslingers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Well you might need a under 3 MOA dot. Bushnell TRS25 are decent red dots for around 100.
    Fully agree about the little Bushnell. Have one on my AR and its very good for the price point.
    "Never step in anything soft"
    Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYm...-sW1YrMRwIkTaQ

Also have TRS 25 on my AR had it for 5 years, just changed battery for first time, and it's been left on at least once in safe, cant go wrong for $130.00

I agree TRS-25 is great combination of price/performance. I prefer them for close and quick acquisition targets less than 100 yards. With red dot you don't need to worry about eye box and parallax and taking time to set up the shot. However there is no magnification, so at distance that red dot starts to cover more or all of the target. I also like red dot as a substitute for iron sights where older eyes don't see near and far clear at the same time. If shooting mainly 100 to 200 yards and at a range, I'd go with a regular scope. With red dot you'd put it on the paper but there wouldn't be much satisfaction with working at precision. Vortex, Bushnell and Nikon make options that are not too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by BaBam View Post
    Would it be a good idea?

I am wondering if I can put a red dot instead of a scope on a 5.56/.308 Ruger American Ranch(16") for range use mostly from the bench out to 200yards max. If so, which red dot under $300? Trying to keep the total cost under $1000 if possible for a compact rifle.

Thanks!
    I wanted to do the same thing with the same rifle. I was going with a vortex sparc or a eotech(which might sit too high)
    I'll probably never get around to it.

The sparc or eotech dots will cover 4" or 2" at 200yrds. Tag a coyote, I likely wouldn't try a fox sized target.
    A realistic sized target and range time will tell you the limits. I am curious.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I wanted to do the same thing with the same rifle. I was going with a vortex sparc or a eotech(which might sit too high)
    I'll probably never get around to it.

The sparc or eotech dots will cover 4" or 2" at 200yrds. Tag a coyote, I likely wouldn't try a fox sized target.
    A realistic sized target and range time will tell you the limits. I am curious.
    Problem is most of those products would cost $400 or more and the goal is < $1000 for rifle set up.
    Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier seems within the price he would look for. Couldn't vouch for it myself - no experience at all with that line.

Sparc can be had for under $300
    The magnifier won't be any good without a red dot, so the combo would certainly be a bit more than he's looking to spend.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast