Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    How's your eyesight? I ask because it could steer your buying decisions.

I have astigmatism and them red dots look like a little star burst instead of a nice little dot. Try out a couple at a local store and see how your eye reacts to them.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...w-astigmatism/
    University of Texas at Austin 2014 Commencement Address - Admiral William H. McRaven
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

2. The Following User Liked This Post By VooDoo

Swampdonkey (04-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
    How's your eyesight? I ask because it could steer your buying decisions.

I have astigmatism and them red dots look like a little star burst instead of a nice little dot. Try out a couple at a local store and see how your eye reacts to them.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...w-astigmatism/
    My eyesight is okay so far, kinda looking forward to having a red dot instead of iron sights or a scope this time.
    CCFR CSSA

I strongly recommend against a conventional holographic red dot for anything farther than 50m. To me it doesn't matter if you're talking about a budget TR-25 or a higher end EOTech, they're all garbage at 100m+.

If you want any form of precision at 100+, especially 200+, and you don't want to do a conventional scope, you're really into the realm of slightly magnified combat optics.

The unquestionable king of these is the Trijicon ACOG, and as the proud owner of one on my AR platform, I can hand-on-heart say it's the best thing you can get. I would get the battle ring and dot reticle, though, because the post reticle is almost comically small.

The one huge drawback is the cost. You're lucky to find a used credible one for $1200, and new ones from a reputable dealer are more like $1500+ tax and shipping.

Recently I have researched less expensive options, and I have been impressed with the Vortex Spitfire 3x line. Unlike the ACOG that uses a fiber optic light gathering post to illuminate the reticle, the Spitfire has a battery option. But unlike a regular red rot where if the battery dies you're SOL, on the Vortex Spitfire the reticle by itself still just looks like black markings on a normal scope so you don't absolutely need the battery; it just makes it even brighter if you turn the battery on.

All that to say, get a Trijicon ACOG if you can afford $1500. If you can only afford $500, get a Vortex Spitfire 3x. Both are useful, and you'll be able to hit targets with regular accuracy from 200m no problem, while still being able to maintain situational awareness of your immediate surroundings. The US Army chose the ACOG for a reason.
    I have no signature block.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123