Queries about moving to Lloydminster

My wife is entertaining a job in Lloydminster at the hospital, and I am supportive of moving the family there, but I have many questions.

Is Lloydminster a decent place? What kind of demographic composition? Prevailing attitudes and culture? Primary industries?

What is the good and bad of living in either Alberta or Saskatchewan? Hunting, vehicle regulation, taxation?

I have work experience in agriculture and upstream petroleum, so I figure employment will be easy, but correct me if I err.

What could I rent a large apartment or townhouse for?

Lloydminster is not a bad place to raise kids if you have any. There are upwards of 30,000 people most of which are good people, I would say majority of them lean towards conservative values. With the downturn of the economy there has been an increase in theft type crimes, like vehicle break in and theft, as well as things like bicycles going missing from yards, probably to help feed drug habits, of which there are an abundence. However like anywhere, if your not into that scene it likely will not bother you.
    Unfortunately other than sports and the crappy theater, there isn't much more for kids to do.I was fortunate in that both my kids played competitive sports which takes a lot of their time and keeps them connected to other like minded kids. There are 2 high schools here, one public and one christian, both of which are good schools with active sports teams (football, volleyball, basketball, soccer in the Christian school, plus a few more im probably forgetting). There is a pretty good community college with university transfer agreements with U of Alberta and U of Saskatchewan.
    The primary industry is oilfield which I hear is starting to pick up now (except spring break up is beginning now) agriculture is also a pretty big industry.
    Shopping is pretty bleak, but Lloyd is right in between Edmonton and Saskatoon, each about 2.5 hours away.
    There is pretty good hunting and fishing within a couple hours drive (Saskatchewan is better for both)
    Some things get weird because its a border city (vehicle insurance, hunting, fishing, the drinking age, just to name a few) but for the most part things run pretty smoothly.
    I haven't rented for a lot of years, but there are lots of options right now, as well as houses or basement suites to rent. It is a buyers market in the real estate market.
    There are 2 shooting ranges, 1 is outdoor with 25, 50, 100, 200 and 300 yard lanes, as well as an indoor range with 8 lanes for winter pistol shooting. lloydfishandgame.org . The other is an indoor range with 8 lanes for pistol and smaller caliber rifles (pistol caliber carbines and the such). Exile reloaded on Facebook for info. Both are very nice facilities, exile opened this past January and I shoot there as often as I can. I am a member of the fish a game club and it too is excellent, however not as convenient at about 12 km out of town.
    I hope this helps, sorry for being so long winded. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask, I will help where I can.
    P.s. from what I can tell, the hospital is a pretty good place.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Swingerguy

Swampdonkey (04-13-2018)

3 gunstores, including Profit River, Magnum, Exsile. I think there is a 4th called Sheps that dabbles in Firearms.

Oil and Gas production upgrading/refining asphalt shingle manufacturing plant railcar loading facilities, Agriculture including a canola crush plant, nearby handling facilities, an ethanol plant and several equipment dealers. A couple RTM house manufacturers. Lots of O&G manufacturing.

Trap and Skeet Range south of town on the highway, Hidden Ridge sporting clays SW about 10minutes.

New recreation facilities on the south end of town.

Lloyd is my go to when in need of shopping. The one thing it doesn’t have is a Costco, which I find a bit strange as Lloyd is a trading hub for a fairly large population.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Hillbillyreefer

Swampdonkey (04-13-2018)

SK or AB side? It matters.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I haven't been out that way for probably a year now, but did spend a little time there. The only thing that I know of that hasn't been mentioned is that there's lots of out of town oil field guys around all the time. Book your hotel rooms a couple of days in advance. Trying to get a hotel room at 4pm for that night doesn't often pan out well. There's all the typical stuff. Walmart, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Tim Hortons, etc. 2.5-3 hrs drive to Edmonton depending on how you drive. I wouldn't mind living there.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

8. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Swampdonkey (04-13-2018)