Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

C-71 will prohibit Swiss Arms and CZ858 Rifles - Sign the Petition

Parliamentary Petition e-1608 to stop C-71

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-1608
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

To show that public safety isnít hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

We need some way of rekindling the drive to sign this petition, I was thinking the hunting organizations would have provided a lot more encouragement but I guess I am naive.
    Remember May 1, 2020 when they say: "we don't want your guns."
    The Turd Reich, where the law abiding get moistly shafted!

Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    We need some way of rekindling the drive to sign this petition, I was thinking the hunting organizations would have provided a lot more encouragement but I guess I am naive.
    If you know of one that doesn’t seem to be doing anything, you can contact them and ask that they get the word out.
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

To show that public safety isnít hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

https://www.ofah.org/firearms/billc71/
    doesn't appear to have a link to the petition.

At that url, a CHAT popped up.

Paige - Individual Membership
    Customer support

Chat started

OFAH Membership Dept.
    Hello, is there a membership question I can help you with today?

You [RangeBob]
    No. I was just checking to see if your Bill C71 page had a link to the petition. https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-1608

Paige - Individual Membership joined the chat
    No we do not provide the link to the petition on our website.
    For further questions please contact Brian by email at brian_mcrae@ofah.org or by phone at 1-800-263-6324 Ext. 246.
    Is there anything else we can help you with today?

You
    No thank you. Thank you for your assistance.
    I'm not a member of the OFAH, so it doesn't seem appropriate for me to contact.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW .45 View Post
    If you know of one that doesn’t seem to be doing anything, you can contact them and ask that they get the word out.
    I did, hence my disappointment. I don't think it's too demanding to expect organizations that are even remotely connected to gun ownership to try and move their membership to sign the petition. Al that's needed is that they send the membership something as simple as: As a member of XYZ we support and encourage you to stand with all gun owners and sign petition e-1608.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Magi

Doug_M (04-24-2018), stewbud (04-25-2018)

I'm really trying to understand why there is so much inertia against posting/advertising this petition and/or info about C-71 by so many groups and stakeholders. Is there some kind of rule about lobbying or the appearance of lobbying? Is there fear about partisanship (even though any government can be wrong about a Bill, though admittedly from my perspective, some much, much, more often than others...)?

At 70,000 signatures in just a few weeks, the anger/frustration is certainly evidenced, but the lack of numbers relative to the number of firearms owners shows the message isn't being broadcast as much as it should be.

CSSA believes that petitions are not as effective as letters. So the CSSA might mention the petition, but they'll stress the letters over and over.

The argument goes
    - when the petition is read into the House Of Commons there will be 3 MPs there. The rest won't notice at all, and the 3 MPs and their staffs will spend a grand total of 30 seconds thinking about it. They dismiss it entirely.
    - when 1600 snail mail letters a day or a week come into an MPs office, they count them and do electoral calculus, and it takes an entire man-week just to open 1600 letters. Which is why they've abandoned replying to them -- they're just swamped. They can disagree, they can oppose, but it can't be ignored. It's in their face.
    - CSSA provided a technique they believe should take about a minute per letter. Take one of their 30 or so 10 word talking points, quote it exactly, write it on a page with very little else but your signature, stick it in an envelope and write the address, and drop it in the mail. Using this technique it's about the same amount of time as signing a petition, yet 100s of times more effective each time you do it.

Which reminds me. Time to write another letter. It takes me all day to write a letter, because I don't do it the way the CSSA recommends, because I'm an idiot who likes to type.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    https://www.ofah.org/firearms/billc71/
    doesn't appear to have a link to the petition.

At that url, a CHAT popped up.

I'm not a member of the OFAH, so it doesn't seem appropriate for me to contact.
    I joined (or rather was drafted) the OFAH because it is a requirement at the shooting club I recently became a member of.
    Results is the biggest and to be quite honest the only criterion I use when deciding to join or remain a member of an org.
    The OFAH seems to have some 'pull' with the Ontario government and was instrumental in getting our spring black bear season re-instated after Mike Harris sh!t his pants and caved to the Schad group of do-gooders and cancelled the spring bear season in the 90s.
    Didn't see any other org stepping up to the plate and doing that.
    Now that and the c42 'back-stabs' are all forgotten and Andrew Scheer's CPC & Doug Ford's PCs are the new panaceas for Canadian & Ontario gun owners & hunters though history and the facts belie that conclusion.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    CSSA believes that petitions are not as effective as letters. So the CSSA might mention the petition, but they'll stress the letters over and over.

The argument goes
    - when the petition is read into the House Of Commons there will be 3 MPs there. The rest won't notice at all, and the 3 MPs and their staffs will spend a grand total of 30 seconds thinking about it. They dismiss it entirely.
    I do not doubt this to be true, my concern is that if the numbers are not there then the same "3 MPs and their staffs" plus many more, will make sure they get all the mileage they can from the low signature count by pointing to it as proof of little opposition. +70,000 of +2,000,000 does not represent much opposition in my view, at least not enough to ever make a difference, it's a double edged sword and they will use the edge that best suits their cause.

Commit to the cause or abandon all hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    I do not doubt this to be true, my concern is that if the numbers are not there then the same "3 MPs and their staffs" plus many more, will make sure they get all the mileage they can from the low signature count by pointing to it as proof of little opposition. +70,000 of +2,000,000 does not represent much opposition in my view, at least not enough to ever make a difference, it's a double edged sword and they will use the edge that best suits their cause.

Commit to the cause or abandon all hope!
    At least 20,000 of the 70,000 names are probably fake.

Visits, phone calls, are the only 'sure' ways of communicating with MPs or MPPs.

Petitions are at best ignored and letters & emails are either intercepted by flunkies or caught and deleted by anti-spam software and never seen by the targeted politicians.

Signing a petition or a mass emailing program is 'placebo activism' so the person can justify his apathy and say 'I did something' even though the net effect in regards to affecting a political goal (stopping c71) is zero. But if doing these things satisfies a personal need to feel useful then by all means.

As a poster said the poor 'turn out' (70,000 out of 2,000,000 gun owners) on the petition might do us more harm than good if other on the fence MPs take that as an indication of a general apathy on the part of gun owners in regards to c71.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast