DCRA and the AR15 Classification

The story I always heard was that the ar15 was supposed to be re-classed from non-res to prohibited during c-something(I forget which one... c68?)
    but the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association stepped in/lobbied to make it at least restricted due to competition use.

It's been years since I heard that, and I have no actual source to back it up.
    Is there any truth to this, or should I drop it from my stories.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

I heard the same story, but it was before my time.

Perhaps this will help you decide.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/ar...113_blk-e.html

and

1994. Liberal Government and gun control lobby prepare legislation against firearms under the leadership of Justice Minister Allan Rock, Bill C-68, for the first time including mandatory firearms licensing for simple ownership or possession of firearms, ban on half of the registered handguns in Canada, universal registration of all firearms including rifles and shotguns. Majority of semi automatic firearms restricted and registered under Bill C-17 declared prohibited under Bill C-68.
    During hearings on what quickly becomes very controversial legislation, Dominion of Canada Rifle Association (DCRA) declares Service Rifle Competitions with military and civilian competitors in Canada will be ended if AR15 is prohibited under the legislation. By this time C7A1 is Canada's military service rifle, AR15 is civilian semi automatic equivalent and is used in competitions.
    Liberal Government relents, allows AR15 to remain "restricted" but promises Gun Control Lobby they will be prohibited "at a later date".
    -- Dr van Nostran;12734248

3. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

awndray (04-25-2018), ESnel (04-25-2018), lone-wolf (04-25-2018)

Excellent! My fellow association members will like to see this for sure
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

If you read some of the committee transcripts, mags were originally going to be 10 rounds across the board and 20 for competition use.

Bill C-68 also made any .32 calibre handgun prohibited. Until the Canadian Olympic committee said, um, excuse us but we use expensive .32 calibre pistols. That's why there's a list of specific non-prohibited .32 calibre target pistols.
    The DCRA had to be very careful about their wording too. They're basically operating at the government's whim and expense. PO anybody and they can lose access to CF ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Bill C-68 also made any .32 calibre handgun prohibited. Until the Canadian Olympic committee said, um, excuse us but we use expensive .32 calibre pistols. That's why there's a list of specific non-prohibited .32 calibre target pistols.
    The DCRA had to be very careful about their wording too. They're basically operating at the government's whim and expense. PO anybody and they can lose access to CF ranges.
    Yes, C-68 also prohibited any handgun of .25 caliber, along with any handgun with a barrel of 4 inches or less, regardless of caliber. Curiously, along with the pocket revolvers and autos, Lugers and police service revolvers became prohibited.

These .38 Special Colt and S&W revolvers were very popular, obviously, with police forces at the time, and it meant that police officers and detectives were now carrying prohibited weapons.

Supposedly ALL Benelli M1 Super 90 shotguns were on the chopping block, too. But they had to backpeddle and make a list of variants that were exempt because of all the sporting variants and hunting/field models that use the Benelli action.