Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52
  1. #11
    Senior Member RobertMcC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia.
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Recovered memory: I was nervous of lead when I was a kid but not because of lead itself, which was everywhere including dissolved in all gasoline, but because arsenic was used to harden lead shot and I of course knew arsenic was dangerous. Anyway, I had an old musket ball mold and made a lot of musket balls a la Jim Bridger until a family member used the thing as pliers and broke it. After that I was working on a shot tower, where you dribble molten lead into water through holes of various sizes and from different heights to make bird shot. Then I guess girls came along for a while.
    And why I have a lead/gas approved respirator.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Ruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lost In Awe.
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    And why I have a lead/gas approved respirator.
    So is arsenic still used and also a significant factor do you know?
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

    CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

  3. #13
    Senior Member RobertMcC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia.
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    So is arsenic still used and also a significant factor do you know?
    I'm just getting started with casting. But as far as I know there isn't any shot in this backstop. Shotgun people can destroy the targets outside, Not inside. And everybody I know that casts never talks about arsenic and probably nobody uses it now.


    I just picked up a like new stand fryer and I realized I had a old propane tank in the back corner. That I can cut and use as a pot.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

  4. #14
    Senior Member glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,135
    im using the bayou S-10 burner(180k btu) in combo with a dutch oven-iron pot......good when the temps are warm outside...but watch for cracks if used in the winter colds , warming it up slowly will avoid you pounds of lead on the ground lol...otherwise steel is more desirABLE than iron. for fluxing i use parafin which is faster at remelting the tin and antimony in the lead evenly. i dont care about beewax and such other flux material.parafin is cheap and it gets the job done.....it even doesn't light up if the lead melted is half clean to start with.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Powell River, BC.
    Posts
    316
    I did 550 lbs of pistol range scrap into 1/2 and 1 lb ingots, I used paraffin, haven't gotten around to bullet molding, but a do have ones in 357 and 30-30

  6. #16
    Senior Member glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,135
    ^^^^

    as for the molds,i would avoid anything LYMAN....poor,poor service, and lyman won't tell to casters that they build their molds with lyman 2 lead in mind....so if you're using COWW or range scrap, your boolits will drop much lighter than what they're supposed to.....i'm using accurate molds only because they build your molds with your own specs as in ''what lead is used'''. i cast 9 and 40 without lube grooves . i coat with hi tek and i might gives PC a go . as for PC,seems like eastwood ford light blue is the best among the best PC money can buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

  7. #17
    Senior Member RobertMcC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia.
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    ^^^^

    as for the molds,i would avoid anything LYMAN....poor,poor service, and lyman won't tell to casters that they build their molds with lyman 2 lead in mind....so if you're using COWW or range scrap, your boolits will drop much lighter than what they're supposed to.....i'm using accurate molds only because they build your molds with your own specs as in ''what lead is used'''. i cast 9 and 40 without lube grooves . i coat with hi tek and i might gives PC a go . as for PC,seems like eastwood ford light blue is the best among the best PC money can buy.
    Yeah I plan on powder coating. Right now I'm just building a stock pile of lead. And range scrap the easiest to get. I just have to do some work around the club to get it.

    Went to the dollar store and got muffin tins, baking sheet, some spoons, good cheap gloves. I found a cast iron pan for 20$ and use that while I prep the tank. I should have looked for a bigger box fan for ventilation.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

  8. #18
    One Mile Mentor tigrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsefly BC
    Posts
    1,828
    Cutting propane tanks, I could write a book on that. Remove valve, fill with hot soapy water or steam clean, then cut it. 2 people I know have died from doing it wrong.
    I have 37 bullet molds. LIG
    Did you get the liquid graphite from Canadian tire for the bullet mold and the muffin pan? Bullets drop right out and the ingots drop right out if you use it.
    When your melting the contents of the bucket, keep stirring it to get all the lead in contact with the melted lead. When you figure you have all the lead melted start skimming off all the dross(garbage floating on top). Put it into a tin can because it is hot, think melts things and sticks to things. Clean all the garbage off the top and stir it a few more times to get the pieces stuck to the sides of the pot, then remove that. Then start making clean ingots.
    Last edited by tigrr; 04-30-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thats the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

  9. #19
    Senior Member RobertMcC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia.
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Cutting propane tanks, I could write a book on that. Remove valve, fill with hot soapy water or steam clean, then cut it. 2 people I know have died from doing it wrong.
    I have 37 bullet molds. LIG
    Did you get the liquid graphite from Canadian tire for the bullet mold and the muffin pan? Bullets drop right out and the ingots drop right out if you use it.
    When your melting the contents of the bucket, keep stirring it to get all the lead in contact with the melted lead. When you figure you have all the lead melted start skimming off all the dross(garbage floating on top). Put it into a tin can because it is hot, think melts things and sticks to things. Clean all the garbage off the top and stir it a few more times to get the pieces stuck to the sides of the pot, then remove that. Then start making clean ingots.
    Thanks. Yeah I did it how you said. I was just going to use this tank for a air pig.

    I think I got liquid graphite somewhere in the garage.

    Should I cut it more?

    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

  10. #20
    Member Comanchero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    So I decided to start casting my own bullets. I have a supply of lead. And necessary safety gear.

    Some questions. I like to keep the cost low. I'll probably be using a cast iron skillet pan, dollar store muffin tins.

    Whats better burner to use? camp stove or a lobster pot burner? Or does it matter?

    Whats the better flux? candle wax or saw dust?

    I have a good supply of both. Wife's stupid candle collection ( mainly paraffin wax ) and step father a wood worker.
    I have a fair amount of experience in bullet casting. I started out with a Coleman naphtha camp stove, a 10 pound small Lyman casting pot, and the standard Lyman egg ladle. I use an electric pot now, but still use the ladle since the pouring orifice is fatally plugged.

    The stove, pot, and ladle method works just fine. Scrap candles work great for flux chips, and an old soup spoon works okay to skim off debris and for stirring the tin and antimony back in to the mix.

    An old small 8" cast iron skillet will work okay for pouring ingots, but it will get heavy fast, and it may prove more difficult to skim off the impurities, during the fluxing process. Since I never had huge quantities of lead scrap to work with, I just used the pot. I melted, fluxed, skimmed, and alloyed if needed, and then proceeded directly to bullet casting.

    For ingot processing from a lot of scrap, the skillet and turkey burner seems the popular way to go. Muffin tins work as ingot molds.

    For actual bullet casting, a Lee electric pot will prove to be a better proposition than the camp stove.
    Last edited by Comanchero; 04-30-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hunters urged to use non-lead ammo as 7th lead-poisoned eagle found
    By Doug_M in forum Canadian Firearms News, Headlines and Polls
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-17-2017, 10:37 PM
  2. "Barrel burner" CCI Stinger?
    By Bittereinder in forum Rimfire
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-20-2016, 11:59 AM
  3. Casting 95 bullets using 7+ pounds of lead
    By tigrr in forum Reloading
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2015, 07:57 AM
  4. lead sheeting, any good for casting?
    By Farlsincharge in forum Reloading
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •