Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Casting Lead whats the best flux? and burner?

So I decided to start casting my own bullets. I have a supply of lead. And necessary safety gear.

Some questions. I like to keep the cost low. I'll probably be using a cast iron skillet pan, dollar store muffin tins.

Whats better burner to use? camp stove or a lobster pot burner? Or does it matter?

Whats the better flux? candle wax or saw dust?

I have a good supply of both. Wife's stupid candle collection ( mainly paraffin wax ) and step father a wood worker.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Despite having done some fun stuff with old water pipe when I was a kid, I really know next to nothing about casting lead but will throw in what I learned from survivalblog.com, the site John Westley, Rawles used to run in the good old days of 10 years ago. He cautioned against improper ventilation and also against using things like wheel weights to make bullets, saying the toxic hazards were plentiful and not worth it. And that is all I know and now I will go away.
    Last edited by Ruff; 04-29-2018 at 04:18 PM. Reason: correction
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Despite having done some fun stuff with old water pipe when I was a kid, I really know next to nothing about casting lead but will throw in what I learned from survivalblog.com, the site John Westley, Rawles used to run in the good old days of 10 years ago. He cautioned against improper ventilation and also against using things like wheel weights to make bullets, saying the toxic hazards were plentiful and not worth it. And that is all I know and now I will go away.
    Well I'm getting range scrap. And I got a approved lead respirator, plan to wear coveralls, gloves and goggles when I do. Plus plan to use fans and do it outdoors.

Actually I am qualified to clean ranges. Had to do so when army decided to use the old ranges at the Armories as storage. And DND condemned them for lead. Took courses to do so.

I learned my lesson with welding galvanized metal, that I did not know it was.

I got as far as melting plumbing scrap lead into ingots (cut open beer cans).
    I cut the top off a small propane tank for a pot, and used a coleman campstove for heat.
    I bought a bullet mold, but i haven't got to that stage yet. (It was supposed to be a Christmas holiday project. Still haven't got to it yet)
    I did buy a cast iron "soup bowl" from princess auto for this project. It's a small pot with a handle and a pour spout on each side. Looks like something you'd pour lead out of.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Damn these buckets of range scrap are heavy.

^^ I'm still waiting for another demo job with lead shower pans.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

In total I collected 158lbs of range scrap. I asked permission before I did. I was going to grab a 3rd bucket. But just the 2 hauling it to my coupe made me winded.

And I have a coupe, so trying to lift them and place them in the back was kinda hard. I didn't attempt to put them in the trunk being I knew they would go thru the chip board tray in the trunk.

The white bucket was 73lbs, the orange was 85lbs.

But still no answer.. whats a better flux to use? Because I know I'll have the flux alot seemed like they have a sand base.

Will need to make a sifter.

The little chunk of wax is to get everything to mix together and the sawdust keeps it in suspension. If I don't use sawdust I have skimmed all the tin out off the top. I did the range scrap melt and scooped the lead into liquid graphite coated muffin pans, outside. Then it is easier to make bullets with that, with a bit of tin added. Stir it a lot. Scoop out lead into pans don't pour it into pans. Pouring gets more grit in the final product. I carried about 2000 lbs out of a range. Never again.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    The little chunk of wax is to get everything to mix together and the sawdust keeps it in suspension. If I don't use sawdust I have skimmed all the tin out off the top. I did the range scrap melt and scooped the lead into liquid graphite coated muffin pans, outside. Then it is easier to make bullets with that, with a bit of tin added. Stir it a lot. Scoop out lead into pans don't pour it into pans. Pouring gets more grit in the final product. I carried about 2000 lbs out of a range. Never again.
    Thanks. So Ill grab some saw dust from my stepfather.

I was planning on smelting into ingots. Than using a Lee Pot cast bullets from that.

As you can tell 100% new to this. But I spent a lot on bullets. Not manufactured ammo, just bullets. Just spent 227$ for 2000 bullets. Heck for 20mins of work I probably grabbed enough lead to do 3000.

Recovered memory: I was nervous of lead when I was a kid but not because of lead itself, which was everywhere including dissolved in all gasoline, but because arsenic was used to harden lead shot and I of course knew arsenic was dangerous. Anyway, I had an old musket ball mold and made a lot of musket balls a la Jim Bridger until a family member used the thing as pliers and broke it. After that I was working on a shot tower, where you dribble molten lead into water through holes of various sizes and from different heights to make bird shot. Then I guess girls came along for a while.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast