Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I just talked to a safety guy and he told me to use a filter N-100.... said it was the best for lead and lead gases...Steve O
    N-100 is your common dust mask, for painting, wood working etc. Mild protection from lead dust.

I smelted using a P-100 without and P-100 with carbon insert. I can tell you I didn't smell nothing with the P-100 with the carbon insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I just talked to a safety guy and he told me to use a filter N-100.... said it was the best for lead and lead gases...Steve O
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    seems like 5% of lino added to a soft lead bump it up 3-4 bhn.lets say your PB is about 7 bhn,you might be able to hit 10-11 bhn easily with the added lino.

as for hardening your lead enough for a 30 caliber......we routinely shoot 2400fps with range scrapp PC'ed boolits .the RS is like 7-8-9 bhn. i don't worry at all for anything inside the 3000fps mark. you won't need that hard lead to get accurate boolits.on top of that, you probably already knows that a too hard lead is bad for accuracy. we need to have our lead soft-hard enough for the riflings to get a '''grip''' on the boolit , so it stabilize as soon as it leaves the barrel. also, a too hard lead may drives to leading as the barrel obturation isn't maximal.....while gas checks is a good protection against barrel foulings.
    So 5%? old guy that gave me lino said 25%.

I found a 308 load using trail boss powder that isn't anymore than 1400 FPS, and only other 30cal I'd reload for is my 30 carbine at 1900 FPS. And these guns I barely shoot more than 40rds at a time.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

I found out what stays in my pot. It's sand, just very fine sand. No matter how much I fluxed with wax/saw dust. It would not suspend.

So If I continue to use range scrap from the back stop. I'm going to need to make a sifter first.

86lbs of range scrap. Got me 17 usable mufflin tin ingots. Being 2 are full of that sand.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

blacksmithden (08-31-2018)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456