Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1869 Vetterli

7BB79D31-AF7A-4A77-8032-0265B47FA55F.jpg

7532003D-19BC-45FC-AC6A-175C36F647D8.jpg

Moderate success! Shooting went off without a hitch. Primers were smacked just right, the air smelled like burnt cream of wheat and I had to shake a bunch of crap out of the barrel after three rounds. One case neck split. The other two came out well. Time to hit the reloading press again!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Mark-II (08-03-2019), Rory McCanuck (05-18-2019), Waterloomike (08-02-2019)

I guess it would be worthwhile hitting them with the torch before loading the next batch for fireforming.
    I've done a bunch just with a torch, holding them in my fingertips and dropping them into water.
    Not the most scientific, but I had good luck with it, and I don't think you're really going for 1000 yard groups.
    Not yet, at least
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

5. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By kennymo

2012Cvoguy (08-02-2019), JustBen (08-02-2019), Mark-II (08-03-2019), Rory McCanuck (08-02-2019), Waterloomike (08-02-2019)

Are you planning to load with black or use a light dose of something like Unique or SR4759?
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

I’m thinking of a smokeless gallery type load to start off with. I have a bunch of data bookmarked, I’ll go through it once I play around with trim length and maybe make up a dummy cartridge or two. It’d be nice to get to 2.2” overall so the Henry/Winchester style magazine will function. 300+ grain projectiles are supposed to be better for both achieving magazine function and accuracy, I’m hoping the large hollow point on these translates into a small amount of extra length. Then I’ll leave the case length a little long, since it’s largely irrelevant the way these chambers were cut.

Then maybe switch to Goex if I decide to go for full power loads. I hear it’s harder to blow yourself up with that stuff

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Mark-II (08-04-2019), Rory McCanuck (08-04-2019)

Good evening everyone. My name is GeoS
    I was given a Swiss Vetterli. I would like to know how to properly date this rifle.
    I am missing the front section of the stock. If anyone knows where I can locate one would be great.

Post #2 in this thread has a link to the Swiss Rifles site. I found an approximate date for mine with their info.

I have a second, incomplete rifle that’s also missing most of the forend. Looks like someone thought they’d cut it down for hunting without realizing there was a brass magazine tube in there running almost to the muzzle. At least judging from the hacksaw marks on the mag tube.... Looks like it was probably abandoned at that point and cannibalized for parts. Missing most of the springs, the firing pin and the lifter.

There are a few out there that someone had the brains and skill to cut the tube to half length and form a tasteful sporter with the front wood. I’m unsure if these are gunsmith one offs, or if someone was converting them for commercial resale.

Now that the hunting itch has been scratched, I think it’s time to prep some more cases for fire forming. I’ve got a .44 die that’s been waiting very patiently to stuff some lead.
    Last edited by kennymo; 12-06-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Thank You for the replies. I will check out that sight. As far as the stock goes I will have to make my own. The tube magazine has been cut off but I do not plan on firing it so all is good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123