Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do I need a gunsmithing torque wrench? How badly?

I have a high-accuracy .22 on the way, had a bit of an unsuspected delay going on thanks to some bizarre behaviour at the new gun store in town that I thought I would favour, but it should be here soon now. Especially as the store has now proved unreliable, I'll be mounting the scope myself and am contemplating buying a specialized torque wrench to use doing it (sells for around $80 at Cabelas for instance). In years past, I was doing a lot of work on relatively delicate items like bicycles and had a fairly good sense around manually setting reasonably correct torques (at least I never stripped things), now I' m pretty sure I've lost that touch (and what's more I did use to have home-installed scopes drift loose after a while and that was despite using Loctite and all, so I believe I was under-tightening even then). Just wondering if people use and recommend them, I don't have that many scoped rifles and mounting one isn't something I'll be doing all the time.

Here's a photo of the unit I can easily buy:

Last edited by Ruff; 05-04-2018 at 05:53 AM. Reason: spelling again
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

It's for more than scopes. I have a couple rifles that have to be accurately torqued when the stock comes off.

Allow our Rightful Liberty or .....

3. The Following 7 Users Like This Post By Waterloomike

Grey_Wolf (05-03-2018), kennymo (05-03-2018), lone-wolf (05-03-2018), Rory McCanuck (05-03-2018), Ruff (05-03-2018), speedloader (05-04-2018), Stew (05-03-2018)

The Wheeler torque screwdriver you've posted works acceptably well. I have it as part of their scope mounting kit, which is occasionally invaluable, especially on older rifles that don't have tolerances quite as close as new stuff made on CNC equipment. I torque all my scope rings and mounts to manufacture's specs now, as well as the odd rifle stock and other doohickeys...

There are more expensive units that will torque a little more accurately, but I believe the Wheeler is good enough for the hobbyist, or anyone not using it to make a living.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Ruff (05-03-2018), Stew (05-03-2018)

It's the go to torque driver here! We've only had one of the bits break on us and that was only at 18 inch pounds so it was probably a defect in the metal. Got a replacement and haven't had one break since

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Drache

Stew (05-03-2018)

If I was only doing scopes, I seem to have a decent feel for it I wouldn't get one.
    Now I'm doing stocks and gas blocks so I went and got the same but digital torque wrench.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    It's the go to torque driver here! We've only had one of the bits break on us and that was only at 18 inch pounds so it was probably a defect in the metal. Got a replacement and haven't had one break since
    I assume the bits are standard fit one and not specially made for this wrench?
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    I assume the bits are standard fit one and not specially made for this wrench?
    Yes any other bits you have work with it.

Have one works very well

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Codyg14

Drache (05-04-2018)

Ruff,

For the money they are asking at Cabelas in Canada it seems like a useful tool to have.

At the factory we used to beg the workers to 'unload' their torque wrenches at the end of the shift - to keep them in calibration.

Stewbud

13. The Following User Liked This Post By stewbud

Ruff (05-04-2018)

i have this wheeler unit and i worked on hundreds of scopes,rings, stocks with it......it's the perefect tool for what you intend to do . mine worked perfect for 5-6 years of intense work,still going strong , then i figure a good advice would be '''good buy'''.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

15. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By glockfan

Rory McCanuck (05-04-2018), Ruff (05-04-2018)

I'm looking into purchasing a wheeler soon. Has anyone here used the digital fat wrench? I see they are only 30 dollars more or so and I was wondering if there are any thoughts on them.
    How do I change my signature to something about Bacon?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast