Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ruger 10/22 and the infamous BX-25 magazine

Hi All,

Just a question for the rimfire guys. I'm looking at getting a Ruger 10/22 and from talking to the shop owner where i was at yesterday he mentioned that guys are preferring stick mags because they are easier to grab a hold of than the factory mags when doing a change. Which makes a lot of sense. Now here in lies my question, I know the BX-25's from reading are a prohibited device here in Canada but if i were to order them from irunguns or another importer would that make them legal to use since they have to "pin" all mags to Canadian restrictions before importing them? Or is that an avenue i shouldn't even be wandering down?

Thanks Guys,
    Jordan

the Butler Creek 10 round mags have plenty area to grasp for removal

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Stew

762shooter (05-30-2018), lone-wolf (05-27-2018)

Importers will pin them to 10rds for you.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/b...323-72-eng.htm

Example 2*: The Ruger BX-25 magazine, chambered for 22 LR calibre, is designed and manufactured for use in the Ruger SR22 rifle, the 10/22 family of rifles/carbines and the 22 Charger handgun. As a result, this magazine is a prohibited device unless modified so its capacity is 10 cartridges or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jfriedrich19 View Post
    Hi All,

Just a question for the rimfire guys. I'm looking at getting a Ruger 10/22 and from talking to the shop owner where i was at yesterday he mentioned that guys are preferring stick mags because they are easier to grab a hold of than the factory mags when doing a change. Which makes a lot of sense. Now here in lies my question, I know the BX-25's from reading are a prohibited device here in Canada but if i were to order them from irunguns or another importer would that make them legal to use since they have to "pin" all mags to Canadian restrictions before importing them? Or is that an avenue i shouldn't even be wandering down?

Thanks Guys,
    Jordan
    The are perfectly legal when pinned, even with the RCMPs flawed logic.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

IJ22 (05-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    The are perfectly legal when pinned, even with the RCMPs flawed logic.
    Flawed indeed. The RCMP is claiming because they fit both the rifle and handgun that they therefore must be designed and manufactured for use in both rifles and handguns. That in itself is a fail of elementary logic. But they go even further and claim that because they are designed and manufactured for both rifles and a handgun, that they must therefore be legally treated as though they were designed for a handgun. That's a spectacular failure of interpretation of the law. The law in fact makes no provision for magazines that are designed for both rifles and handguns, and therefore they must be treated as an uncontrolled device.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By IJ22

Specter Arms (10-25-2018)

As far as guns are concerned, the RCMP is the law. Just ask them, and the Feds.

Holy double thread Batman!

The law states that rimfire magazine's originally manufactured/designed for a rifle can have unlimited capacity. The law also states that rimfire magazine's originally manufactured/designed for a handgun must be limited to a maximum capacity of 10.

The BX25 magazines were manufactured after the 10/22 charger pistol came out. I believe they were manufactured for both the rifle and handgun. Thus are in some sort of grey area. I'm not a lawyer so others have more knowledge on this then me.

The Butler Creek magazines were manufactured and designed specifically for the rifle (the charger pistol had not even been manufactured yet). Therefore they are legal for use with or without being pinned. However, if you don't want to be bullied into compliance by an organization operating outside of the law, then keep everything pinned to 10 regardless of the law.

How's this for something to grab hold of? Notice how it has printed on the mag itself "Designed for Ruger 10/22 rifle". Pretty simple to understand where this magazine falls into the legal framework.

Decided that being pink is in
    This is the insidious nature of "punishment by process", it may be used to make anything they want too expensive to fight in court, since they drop the charges the moment it looks like there will be a ruling, then do it all over again to the next citizen who would dare to challenge them. IMHO, this is criminal misuse of process and should be dealt with, but it won't.

13. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By FallisCowboy

2012Cvoguy (06-17-2018), Hidyn (05-28-2018), Liberty357 (05-28-2018), Marcel (06-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by jfriedrich19 View Post
    ...I know the BX25s from reading are a prohibited device here in Canada...
    Not so fast. I know from reading that the RCMP thinks the mags should be prohibited, but I think they should not be.

Since neither the RCMP nor myself are responsible for making laws in Canada, I will wait for a court's decision or the elected government's clarification on this matter.

Until that day comes, I will keep buying and using them because they were obviously made for a 10/22 rifle.
    I have no signature block.

15. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Petamocto

Camo tung (09-20-2018), Canuck (09-22-2018), Liberty357 (05-28-2018), Marcel (06-17-2018), Newbgunner (07-15-2018), RELOAD (05-29-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast