Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemup604 View Post
    Did you think about having a little ring engraved where the FA sear pin would be, and the auto marking? On that Troy XM apparently that was enough for the RCMP to consider it prohibited...lol
    I did, and I do remember the Troys....really $hitty what happened to those, because they were really neat clones. But because of what happened to the Troys, I decided against having the third pin engraved. Besides, the engraving would not be deep enough and it would look just as bad as the rest, lol!

A rifle I borrorowed from the island while on ex.

My clone, which when compared side by side to the real deal, looks pretty far off.

The D mark is off, and the SA20 is also missing the French.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

2. The Following User Liked This Post By mister donut

joe6167 (07-09-2019)

Finally got to shoot my clone!

I zeroed it at 25m using the target included in the ELCAN manual PDF, with the optic set to 400m. The zeroing process seems to work quite well. I shot one group, made my adjustments, shot a second group and just adjusted the windage over 1 click, and a 3rd group showed it was good to go.

IMG_4302.jpg

I was hoping to keep the Troy/CC BUI on the last rail, and while it did fit under the ELCAN, I couldn't get the right LOP and eye relief combination so I caved and mounted it in front of the scope... kinda like what the CF does. At least you still get to see the Colt Canada logo (from the front, of course!)

Has anyone in the history of warfare ever needed to yank off their ELCAN and use the BUI?

I also notice that with the ELCAN on, working the (Standard) charging handle has become rather awkward, so now I understand why the CF switched to the "new and improved" charging handle.

IMG_4311.jpg
    Successfully escaped this crazy quack s***hole country ALIVE - 12/26/2017!!!

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

The new charging handle sucks. It snags on everything. I never had problems with the old one. I've never seen BUIS on a rifle with a C79 installed. I've used them for FIBUA a bit.

I'm curious about what peoples thoughts are on the advantages and disadvantages of the C79 vs Irons in the rifle's role as a "Battle Rifle".

So far I'm seeing more disadvantages to the C79 right now, in terms of unsuitability for FIBUA, and I suspect that having an optic isn't magically going to make guys better shots compared to irons, at least for the 0-300m range. Plus the added weight and cost. I guess it does have some "cool" factor, having the radioactive sign on it. That's important.

What are the pros of the C79 over irons?

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

It gives you about a half hour more visibility at dusk. It turns lousy shooters into ok shooters. It turns good shooters into ok shooters.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Grimlock

joe6167 (10-12-2019)

Joe,

The C79 is definitely better than irons, as every soldier with one will out-shoot themselves with irons on marksmanship-related tests.

If you're talking about close-range shooting then to be honest it's instinctive anyway. If an enemy threat comes around a corner 5-10m away from you and he's moving, you're just going to shoulder the rifle and start firing whether you have irons or an optic, and you're going to hit the target.

Keep in mind that the C79s is essentially using 1980s technology, however, as they were designed in that decade and came out into service in the early 1990s, so it is well behind other optics you can get. I wouldn't chose a C79 at all if I had the choice, not because it's junk, so much as there's just so much better you can do.

Pros:
    - It actually is quite rugged. Troops throw shit around like crazy, and it still works fine (although it's a good habit to keep ensuring the two mounting screws are tight).
    - The mil-based lines in it are good for range estimating, particularly against a person.
    - The picture is very clear.
    - It is a good magnification for what it does (0-300m)

Cons:
    - It's super heavy, but so is the ACOG.
    - The range wheel is the worst feature on the entire thing, adding both weight and complexity, both of which are pointless because soldiers don't use it in combat anyway.

Future Sharpshooter rifles and general Infantry rifles hope to get a max effective range out to the 500-600m band, which will require slightly more magnification, but not too much that it makes close up shots difficult. Our technical people are going to Shot Show soon to see what's out there, and they're always watching industry closely anyway. Range dots right on reticle pattern will be the biggest change on future optics, getting rid of that horrendous wheel.
    I have no signature block.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Petamocto

Billythreefeathers (05-26-2020), joe6167 (12-06-2019)

Last edited by joe6167; 11-06-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Last edited by joe6167; 11-06-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Larry Vickers meets the C8. Check out the slow motion footage at [5:08]

Recent changes by the CAF over the last few years include new tac latch, rear sling plates, and the "bug eye" ARD for the Elcan.

My Diemacos are gathering dust thanks to JT.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314