Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member Dmay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Elk Point, Alberta
    Posts
    643

    H-50 BMG Discontinued

    For anybody interested:

    Just off the phone with a fellow at Hodgedon. Rumor is true as of yesterday.
    Apparently US 869 outsells it so the decision was made to drop H50.
    Still some stock in Canada....but I imagine it may disappear quickly.
    Hiigginsons still had as of an hour ago.....I ordered 16 lbs...

  2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Dmay

    6MT (07-10-2018), blacksmithden (05-06-2019)

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SWOntario
    Posts
    2,281
    Decidedly limited market, even Stateside. Expensive stuff compared to other powders too. SFRC wants $50 per pound. Over a half ounce of powder at max loads. YIKES! snicker.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
    For anybody interested:

    Just off the phone with a fellow at Hodgedon. Rumor is true as of yesterday.
    Apparently US 869 outsells it so the decision was made to drop H50.
    Still some stock in Canada....but I imagine it may disappear quickly.
    Hiigginsons still had as of an hour ago.....I ordered 16 lbs...
    869 is cheaper which is probably why it sells better, HOWEVER US869 is not nearly as temperature stable as the H50BMG is, from experience.
    Guess it is time to switch to Vit powders on yet another caliber.

  5. #4
    Canadian ForcesMember 6MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,671
    Thanks Darrell for the heads up. I also just ordered another 16lbs. Should have enough (26lbs) for a couple of seasons before I have to do development with US869.

    After my order, Higginsons has 224lbs of it left.
    Last edited by 6MT; 07-10-2018 at 11:07 AM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Dmay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Elk Point, Alberta
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 B.M.G. View Post
    869 is cheaper which is probably why it sells better, HOWEVER US869 is not nearly as temperature stable as the H50BMG is, from experience.
    Guess it is time to switch to Vit powders on yet another caliber.
    Yes, that's the trouble with 869....temp stability.
    I've actually been thinking of switching to V 20N29 anyway....but doesn't hurt to stick with the old faithful for a while too....

  7. The Following User Liked This Post By Dmay

    50 B.M.G. (07-10-2018)

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
    Yes, that's the trouble with 869....temp stability.
    I've actually been thinking of switching to V 20N29 anyway....but doesn't hurt to stick with the old faithful for a while too....
    I am leaning towards the Vit 24N41 as they claim it does better with the 750 gr projectiles, but as you know every gun has its preferences.

  9. #7
    Canadian ForcesMember 6MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 B.M.G. View Post
    I am leaning towards the Vit 24N41 as they claim it does better with the 750 gr projectiles, but as you know every gun has its preferences.
    Rick, when the time comes and I need to switch, I may look to you for charge advice.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    Rick, when the time comes and I need to switch, I may look to you for charge advice.
    Well hopefully I will have had more time for load development by then. Last time I got out was when I saw you. Still waiting for your spring to come in.

  11. #9
    Senior Member Dmay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Elk Point, Alberta
    Posts
    643
    Well, sounds like Hodgedon got a lot of feedback and have decided to bring it back into production. Good news for lots of folks.

  12. The Following User Liked This Post By Dmay

    Rory McCanuck (05-06-2019)

  13. #10
    Canadian ForcesMember 6MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,671
    Well if I sell my .50, there will be around 48 pounds up for sale.....

Similar Threads

  1. Browning Hi-Power discontinued
    By 6MT in forum Handguns
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-20-2017, 08:08 AM
  2. Discontinued Browning BLR
    By J-Rod in forum Hunting & Sporting Rifles
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-25-2016, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •