Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magnesium ribbon

I was browsing the accessories section and saw the magnesium ribbon.
    What's the main use for that? Fire starter? Fuse? Signaling?
    I'm only familiar with it from high school chemistry class when the teacher lit a couple inches of it and it burned bright like a welding arc.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    It's great for starting fires when things are a little wet. You can also light thermite with it.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    It's great for starting fires when things are a little wet. You can also light thermite with it.
    Care to share your thermite recipe?
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    Care to share your thermite recipe?

Basic recipe-

To make thermite you'll need powdered iron oxide, aluminum powder, and a thin strip of magnesium. Mix the aluminum and iron oxide powder together in a 27:80 ratio by weight, and pour the mixture into a cast iron container. Insert your magnesium strip, and then light it.

By varying the ratio and adding other materials you can adjust it. Google is your friend

5. The Following User Liked This Post By ESnel

FALover (07-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by ESnel View Post
    Basic recipe-

To make thermite you'll need powdered iron oxide, aluminum powder, and a thin strip of magnesium. Mix the aluminum and iron oxide powder together in a 27:80 ratio by weight, and pour the mixture into a cast iron container. Insert your magnesium strip, and then light it.

By varying the ratio and adding other materials you can adjust it. Google is your friend
    Yep...and you can buy the aluminum and iron powder on Ebay. 1000 mesh works well if I recall correctly. 2000 would be even easier to get going. Mix in a little amonium perchlorate and milled sugar for extra fun.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Don't know if they still are, but husqvarna chain saw cases used to be made of magnesium, hell of a fire when you get one of those going with a torch. Freind with the torch also had a 5 gallon bucket of aluminum, 10 lbs of mercury, etc, he had all the fun stuff.

Magnesium Ribbon was also used the in giant searchlights during the war(s). I saw one running for a grand opening when I was little. Impressive.
    I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well.
    Membership: CCFR, SAFGC
    Govít couldnít make sense if you gave them a recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Yep...and you can buy the aluminum and iron powder on Ebay. 1000 mesh works well if I recall correctly. 2000 would be even easier to get going. Mix in a little amonium perchlorate and milled sugar for extra fun.
    I know you already have someone watching you as a full-time job, but doesn't ordering powdered aluminum attract a lot of attention? Or is that only in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I know you already have someone watching you as a full-time job, but doesn't ordering powdered aluminum attract a lot of attention? Or is that only in the States.
    There are a bunch of other uses as well. I bought some a few years back when I was experimenting with metal plating. I was attempting to use it as a carrier in a solution. Unfortunately it didnt work very well. Played around doing some other experiments as well. I wound up giving most of my stuff away due to lack of space. If you order a 1 lb bag, nobody is going to get concerned. If you try ordering a truck load, youre likely to get a visit from the black helicopters. Lol.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

11. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Rory McCanuck (07-11-2018)

It is also fun to just toss small bits into a camp fire at night, just make sure to warn everyone as it gets really bright.

Tundra Supply LTD
    15355 116 Ave
    Edmonton, AB, T5M 3Z5

Hours of Operation:
    Friday: 11:00am - 7:00pm
    Saturday: 9:00am - 7:00pm
    Sunday: 9:00am - 7:00pm

Shop Online: www.tundrasupply.ca | Phone: (587) 557-1199 | E-Mail: sales@tundrasupply.ca

Facebook Instagram

13. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By tundrasupply

blacksmithden (07-11-2018), Dewey Cox (07-11-2018), Rory McCanuck (07-11-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast