Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going up to medium quality, likely CZ 453/455

I don't want to become a competition shooter or even pretend to be in that area. However, I've come to the point that I'd like a 22 rimfire that can do something fairly consistent for accuracy. I've had a taste for this with my 223 Weatherby and I know what I am capable of shooting for groups. To take a 22 to the range and have it seemingly spray rounds in the general area rather than group together is just not satisfying. Why go through the efforts of setting up sights or scope, experimenting with ammunition, shooting style, etc., when the rifle is going to add randomness to the results? I'd like one 22 that makes this worthwhile to practise and shoots better than I do.

I'm thinking of going to some sort of CZ, depending what I can find in local stores. I want something better, but something that could also travel to the woods if I wanted to. Iron sights don't do the trick for my eyes after 50, so it should be scope or red dot.

Scopes can be a challenge to set up for accurate and comfortable shooting. The last set up I had for a 22 was with a pair of small 48012 weaver rails. It allowed for one scope ring position for front and back. Pushing the scope towards me as far as it went, I still had to lean forward hard to get good eyebox. I'm just learning there are rails out there called extenders which it seems would slide into different positions. One which is supposed to be geared for the CZ 455 is by EGW. I'm pretty sure if I want that I'll need to fork out $100 to order online. Bit of a gamble to see what fits best. Ordering something not specified for the model but fitting the dovetail might not work well with the bolt angle or shell ejection. Without modifying the rifle from original, what have others found works for a rail with the bolt action CZ 22s and provides a good range of scope positions?

Another way to extend is having it extend via the rings, but I'm having trouble finding anything online in Canada.

I have used EGW rails (20MOA) on several rifles and had good success.
    http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-...-mount-20-moa/
    Although I have never owned a CZ, I hear nothng but good things about them from people who do have them- although I do like Savage Mark II's

What kind of accuracy are you looking for?
    "So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.." - George Orwell
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the younger
    FTrudeau

I found no need to use a rail on my 452 or 455, both have leupold rings and scopes on them. The fit for me is very good and keeps the scope reasonably low.

I have cz rings iirc and a nikon rimfire scope, another ideal match. Scope is low enough that the cover/cap doesn't fit correct.

the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    I have used EGW rails (20MOA) on several rifles and had good success.
    http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-...-mount-20-moa/
    Although I have never owned a CZ, I hear nothng but good things about them from people who do have them- although I do like Savage Mark II's

What kind of accuracy are you looking for?
    Thanks for the nod on the EGW, good to know. I'm looking for shots landing in the size of a squirrel head at 100 yards, or reliably able to hit a shotgun shell casing at 50 yards with 4 out of 5 shots. Something like that.

I have a CZ 512 (semi) and a 455 (bolt). Using CCI Mini Mags, I can put a 10 shot group into a dime size area at 25 m with my 512. The rifle can do better, a friend did the same grouping at 60 m with my rifle, but I have to cooperate and I am still working on that!

I have yet to shot the 455 but I have every reason to think it will do better than the 512, one thing to be aware of with the 455 is the bolt handle to scope clearance, some scopes will need high mounts. I like lone-wolf's setup, it's surprisingly low but most scopes will not be able to go that low because the bolt handle will contact the scope.
    We were told he wasn't ready, now we know he will never be!
    Rewarding 4 years of incompetence and corruption with 4 more years, says a lot about our electorate.

The bolt clearance is really tight on the 455 for sure, I can't have mine as low as lone-wolfs or the bolt hits the scope. With my medium rings, I think I have about 3-4 mm of clearance from bolt to scope. The 455 is a great shooter and if you choose to go with it you won't be disappointed.
    How do I change my signature to something about Bacon?

My 452 could meet the shotshell challenge. I've not shot it at 100 yards, though.

I picked up a Savage B22 FV a few weeks back that is looking pretty promising as well. Accutrigger on it is nicer than my CZ is.

This is all with standard velocity ammo

I did do well with stingers in the CZ for one group and one outing. Gent gave me a few. But then I bought a box and the next week found them mediocre, or perhaps I was.

The dovetail rails on the CZ work fine for me, but I am going to have to either get a rail for the savage or a set of low rings with a forward offset, as I cannot get the proper eye relief with it as it is now.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

My Savage MkII FV will hit clays fairly reliably at 200m if the wind is not too hard and is consistent. The 20MOA rail helps to bring the target to the center cross hair at longer range. The rail also allows good forward placement of the scope. Eggs are fairly consistently hit at 100m , shooting prone off a Harris bipod, -I do shoot shotgun wads at 100m regularly so I thing shot gun hulls at 50m would quite realistic.
    "So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.." - George Orwell
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the younger
    FTrudeau

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    The dovetail rails on the CZ work fine for me, but I am going to have to either get a rail for the savage or a set of low rings with a forward offset, as I cannot get the proper eye relief with it as it is now.
    I am associating the rifle/scope/rings/rail fit for eyebox in with the iron sights problem I've mentioned before here.

Not speaking to CZ, but in general, sights come from factory with poor accuracy and fixing that is
    very imprecisely done with brass punch for many rifles (CZ I think are screw adjustable). I boggles the mind why this is
    set up is OK. It is like delivering a new car without wheels aligned, and you're expected to do the alignment
    yourself using a sledgehammer and hope to arrive at a position down to the millimeter. Some vice do-hickeys
    exist for certain pistols, but in general for rifles it is brass drifting and guessing.

Scopes, rails, rings are possible to dial in accurately, but we are left guessing what gear to get. On top of that, at least in my experience,
    the stores selling guns don't have stock in rails, scopes, and rings I need. If they did - problem solved, get the shop to open the parts up
    and ensure the alignment to the rifle, bolt and ejection clearance, and fit to my shoulder/arm/eyeball are ideal.

In place of that, I am dealing with Amazon, Brownells, Cabelas and Canadian Tire and information from other owners.

On one site, someone started compiling a spreadsheet of parts that work well together. Seemed like a good idea, but half the stuff they can get in the U.S.
    is not easy to find here, and the odds of a particular scope/rifle pair being in the list is not good.

Here is the page I saw before with the good combinations:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=336921

Edit:

Link to the final spreadsheet on google docs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...z2w/edit#gid=0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast