Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: G19x anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Waynetheman View Post
    Id get one if I were in the market for another poly, although the fn guns have appeal too.
    I'm sure Glocks are great pistols; and there are some other very nice poly pistols out there (my Pastor as a M&P 9 mm that is honestly one of the nicest feeling polymers I have ever shot trigger, not so much). The main issue I have with poly guns is the poly and the injection molding process. I'm a process engineer and I am responsible for 5 injection molding lines making automotive. In the thermal plastic lines, we make high precision automotive components that like pistols have metal inserts, mechanical function, and are expected to have a long life span. I know how difficult quality control is to maintain quality control and keep these parts in spec. as they "dimensionaly settle" over the course of a couple days. Steel is steel, aluminum frames with steel inserts are stable too; and both can be built to tighter tolerances than inserted injection molded parts; likewise, metal parts will hold their tolerances better. In order to ensure repeatable function in molded plastic, wider tolerances need to be applied than are required for metal parts. Give me steel any day.

Another thing I don't get is I know how much cheaper injection molded parts are to make than steel, yet this is not reflected in cost to the end user. For a long running Glock frame model, even considering on going die maintenance, i would estimate a cost per unit of about $5.00 (that might be high) A steel frame made in Europe or North America would be $100.00+; polymers should be cheaper than they are in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    I'm sure Glocks are great pistols; and there are some other very nice poly pistols out there (my Pastor as a M&P 9 mm that is honestly one of the nicest feeling polymers I have ever shot trigger, not so much). The main issue I have with poly guns is the poly and the injection molding process. I'm a process engineer and I am responsible for 5 injection molding lines making automotive. In the thermal plastic lines, we make high precision automotive components that like pistols have metal inserts, mechanical function, and are expected to have a long life span. I know how difficult quality control is to maintain quality control and keep these parts in spec. as they "dimensionaly settle" over the course of a couple days. Steel is steel, aluminum frames with steel inserts are stable too; and both can be built to tighter tolerances than inserted injection molded parts; likewise, metal parts will hold their tolerances better. In order to ensure repeatable function in molded plastic, wider tolerances need to be applied than are required for metal parts. Give me steel any day.

Another thing I don't get is I know how much cheaper injection molded parts are to make than steel, yet this is not reflected in cost to the end user. For a long running Glock frame model, even considering on going die maintenance, i would estimate a cost per unit of about $5.00 (that might be high) A steel frame made in Europe or North America would be $100.00+; polymers should be cheaper than they are in my opinion.
    I think the cost is already reflected. Have you checked out the price difference between a Sig P226 and a Sig P320...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234