Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: G19x anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Waynetheman View Post
    Id get one if I were in the market for another poly, although the fn guns have appeal too.
    I'm sure Glocks are great pistols; and there are some other very nice poly pistols out there (my Pastor as a M&P 9 mm that is honestly one of the nicest feeling polymers I have ever shot trigger, not so much). The main issue I have with poly guns is the poly and the injection molding process. I'm a process engineer and I am responsible for 5 injection molding lines making automotive. In the thermal plastic lines, we make high precision automotive components that like pistols have metal inserts, mechanical function, and are expected to have a long life span. I know how difficult quality control is to maintain quality control and keep these parts in spec. as they "dimensionaly settle" over the course of a couple days. Steel is steel, aluminum frames with steel inserts are stable too; and both can be built to tighter tolerances than inserted injection molded parts; likewise, metal parts will hold their tolerances better. In order to ensure repeatable function in molded plastic, wider tolerances need to be applied than are required for metal parts. Give me steel any day.

Another thing I don't get is I know how much cheaper injection molded parts are to make than steel, yet this is not reflected in cost to the end user. For a long running Glock frame model, even considering on going die maintenance, i would estimate a cost per unit of about $5.00 (that might be high) A steel frame made in Europe or North America would be $100.00+; polymers should be cheaper than they are in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    I'm sure Glocks are great pistols; and there are some other very nice poly pistols out there (my Pastor as a M&P 9 mm that is honestly one of the nicest feeling polymers I have ever shot trigger, not so much). The main issue I have with poly guns is the poly and the injection molding process. I'm a process engineer and I am responsible for 5 injection molding lines making automotive. In the thermal plastic lines, we make high precision automotive components that like pistols have metal inserts, mechanical function, and are expected to have a long life span. I know how difficult quality control is to maintain quality control and keep these parts in spec. as they "dimensionaly settle" over the course of a couple days. Steel is steel, aluminum frames with steel inserts are stable too; and both can be built to tighter tolerances than inserted injection molded parts; likewise, metal parts will hold their tolerances better. In order to ensure repeatable function in molded plastic, wider tolerances need to be applied than are required for metal parts. Give me steel any day.

Another thing I don't get is I know how much cheaper injection molded parts are to make than steel, yet this is not reflected in cost to the end user. For a long running Glock frame model, even considering on going die maintenance, i would estimate a cost per unit of about $5.00 (that might be high) A steel frame made in Europe or North America would be $100.00+; polymers should be cheaper than they are in my opinion.
    I think the cost is already reflected. Have you checked out the price difference between a Sig P226 and a Sig P320...

I can't believe I bought this stupid thing back in August last year and only now did I find time to take it out to shoot.

To tell the truth, I bought one of those Sig M17s recently and even had that out to the range a few times, even though I bought this Glock last year. The Glock just sat in the back of my locker, practically forgotten. I almost considered flipping it but a buddy of mine gave me some night sights for it (I cheaped out and opted for the regular sight version) so I felt compelled to keep it.

This is the first Glock that I actually kept and fired. I've had Glocks in the past, but never kept any of them, always sold them before I'd even fired them.

I actually got used to the Sig and got pretty comfortable behind it, so when it came to the Glock, it took a few mags to adjust. I found the Glock felt lighter (my imagination?), and I had to really focus on stabilizing the muzzle to make sure the rounds were on target. In other words, I felt like I had to work harder with the Glock, despite the better trigger and barrel.

I'll probably keep it. I found it challenging to shoot well, so it might be a good gun to practice with.

But remember, I'm a $hit shot, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

Easy to do mag dumps with though...

The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.

My biggest gripe with plastic guns is the price. IMO a Glock should be $400.00 maximum.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Roland Deschain

awndray (07-29-2019), firemachine69 (11-02-2019)

The G19x is pointless. You pay a premium for a full size G17 frame and a slide that's 1/2" shorter.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By jackrabbit000

glockfan (11-04-2019)

bought one 1000+ rounds not one failure its reliable enough said

Legendary Glock Reliability.

Shoot with confidence. Never any issues.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

never had an issue with my S&W or my CZ, shot anything I put in them

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234