Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My AR Build

Thanks!

It goes bang every time! I assume it's 5.56 - How's it grouping for you? Is that Milverton?

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    It goes bang every time! I assume it's 5.56 - How's it grouping for you? Is that Milverton?
    .223 yes; a 20" Dominion .223 barrel from Canada Ammo in BC; great price at $99.00; 1:12 twist though, and slim, pencil profile so it is not front heavy. Uses a 5/8 gas block rather than 3/4 or larger.

I am using a cheap Chinese red-dot that moves about 1" per click at 100 yards; but I have fired a 3 shot group at just under 2"; considering my eyes are almost 60 years old, not bad. Should get better with a low powered scope.

Yes is is Milverton; where are you from? Are you a fellow member? If not, maybe you should be!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    Update...

Got a great old Tasco scope on it now. I found out that it is a 5.56 barrel. Federal American Eagle 55gr .223 gave me 4" groups at 100 yards; my home-load .223 55gr; my home-loads 1" or better groups.

Honestly, I was really disappointed until I tried some old home loads; I am now loading in earnest!

IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg

That bulk stuff never shoots exceptionally in anything I've seen yet either, I like the old tasco on it
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    That bulk stuff never shoots exceptionally in anything I've seen yet either, I like the old tasco on it
    Thanks! I love those old scopes, so much more solid and clearer than the new ones!

Bulk AE is more than "not exceptional"; I'd hardly even call it ammo. I had a lot of people tell me it was good or great; it does not shoot any better out of their guns; they were under the impression that their firearms are only capable of that level of accuracy. I had fired my cousin's AR back when we could hunt with them, and on paper it was as good a shooter with surplus ammo as mine is with homeloads. His was a genuine Colt.

I think a lot of the complaints regarding accuracy in various AR rifles is due more to ammo than to the rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    I think a lot of the complaints regarding accuracy in various AR rifles is due more to ammo than to the rifles.
    I think you're likely right, and with regards to more than just ar rifles.
    My old man's 30-30 has a old fixed 4x tasco scope on it, so I have a bit of a sentimental value to them.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12