Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

considerng a Ruger No. 1 build, caliber suggestions ?

Hi All,

Im considering a Ruger No 1 Build, for intermediate ( 500m to 800m ) use. I have a selection of Swedish CG series rifles, and enjoy the 6.5 X 55. and so, I am considering this caliber.

Any suggestions out there for different calibers that may be more suited to the No 1 ?

Thanks !

Nick

I'm pretty partial to the 7 mills, either rem mag or x57, but the 6.5x55 is a mighty fine selection for the #1.

I have a 1B, In 7mil mag. My father has the 1A. In 7X57. His rifle is 4" shorter then mine. He has nosler 160grns going at 2800fps. Nice rifle to shoot.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

6.5x55 would be a nice choice. The good thing about the ruger is you have a lot of options.

Personally I'd build mine in 375 H&H because it feels like it would make a good safari rifle.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

Rory McCanuck (04-09-2019)

"...suited to the No 1?..." Doing what? A No. 1 isn't a target rifle. It's a hunting rifle.
    Anyway, for 500 to 800 meters think .308. Bullet choice will matter a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...suited to the No 1?..." Doing what? A No. 1 isn't a target rifle. It's a hunting rifle.
    Anyway, for 500 to 800 meters think .308. Bullet choice will matter a bit.
    I'd argue that the Ruger No 1 makes a fine target rifle as many others... but thanks for spewing into the conversation again.

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By JustBen

Rory McCanuck (04-09-2019), ruger#1 (04-09-2019), Stew (04-09-2019)

I got one in 264wm, haven't shot it much but I do like it a lot.
    A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.
    -Jordan Peterson

I would suggest 7x57, but only because I don't own a #1 or a 7x57 and both intrigue me.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

thanks for the input all, some of your caliber ideas have me considering others now too LOL

Im doing up a rolling block in 45/70 right now, with a 36 inch Oct. Heavy Barrel, another long-ish range target rifle and the No. 1 is up after that. It will also have a longer, heavy barrel and my usual set up of Vernier Sights.

Ive been building mostly long range BP rifles the last few years, and have copied from the Wm. Billingham's version used in early long range competition

Im branching out into building cartridge rifles now, hense starting with a 45/70, and then moving on to the 6.5 x 55 as i use and reload that one already for my 1912 and 1900 CG's

Thanks again !

Nick

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By paleomechanic

JustBen (04-11-2019), ruger#1 (04-13-2019)

Limpskys did have a Ruger #1 in 6.5X55. Not sure how many they made. There were a few runs on a 30-30 in a #1 also. You want a 1A. It is a short and light rifle. There was a guy on CGN selling his collection of Ruger#1s.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast