Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

savage arms 10ba stealth evolution in 6.5 CM

hi all . wanted to know the opinion, of those who owns this rifle ,on it's value .

i'm looking for a sub moa gun for long range action in 6.5 creedmore ,and i was considering getting a custom build,when i noticed this new born in the savage family. i'm looking for consumer's reviews on the net ,but there's not much right now. i'm a savage fan to start with,i always liked their accutrigger system,and i consider that, savage produce some of the best barrels in the industry ; have yet to see a savage made on friday who shoot groups looking like a 12 gauge shot.

as for the rifle itself,well,i like what i see on it. the magpul prs gen 3 adjustable comb ,the fluted 24'' barrel with the brake and M-lok system running high on the forehand ,the cerakoted alu chassis and all that.

i know i could run away with the ftr model and call it a day, but i'd rather have the evo ;it looks great and is somehow compact compared to the FTR (32'' barrel ? ) .

but does it shoot that great?

is it really an ''all day long ''' sub moa rifle even with on the shelve ammo ?. (of course i'.m planning to reload for it)

thanks in advance for your comments .
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H® on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

I haven't shot the evolution model but I have shot the previous 10BA in the MDT style chassis and the 10BA before that which looked like a build. They both shot very well.

6.5 Creedmoor is a very nice round and if you're looking to shoot factory ammo I would try the Hornady Precision hunter, 143gr, ELD-X (if you plan on ever hunting with the rifle) or the Hornady ELD-M (Match). In my Tikka they put 5 of themselves into a grouping the size of a dime at 250 yards.

I've only ever had one Savage Precision rifle that shot bad groups and that turned out to be a warranty issue and they replaced the barrel. That is what I get for buying a gun that was on the market and owning one of the first batches that came to Canada.

I'm sure you won't have any issues with the Evolution if it has everything you're looking for it is worth the price in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    I haven't shot the evolution model but I have shot the previous 10BA in the MDT style chassis and the 10BA before that which looked like a build. They both shot very well.

6.5 Creedmoor is a very nice round and if you're looking to shoot factory ammo I would try the Hornady Precision hunter, 143gr, ELD-X (if you plan on ever hunting with the rifle) or the Hornady ELD-M (Match). In my Tikka they put 5 of themselves into a grouping the size of a dime at 250 yards.

I've only ever had one Savage Precision rifle that shot bad groups and that turned out to be a warranty issue and they replaced the barrel. That is what I get for buying a gun that was on the market and owning one of the first batches that came to Canada.

I'm sure you won't have any issues with the Evolution if it has everything you're looking for it is worth the price in my humble opinion.
    did you meant his predecessor,the 10ba STEALTH?

i was also looking at the tikka T3X TAC A1....but seems like the savage evo is as accurate for over 700$ less. of course i will build my own reloads...but the accuracy of a precision rifle can be measured by how it shoots on the shelve ammo. savage earned the reputation of building the best generic barrels in the industry. i like the tactical look of this rifle,the magpul PRS gen 3 comb....the integral chassis,the long M-lok system......i like everything about this rifle....on the paper. still,it has to meet the expectations. i could buy an FTR and call it a day; the FTR is a winning plateform.....BUT,i want something else than your traditional-classic rifle lol.
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H® on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

"...looking for a sub moa gun..." No company can give you a 100% guarantee of that without specifying the ammo used. Absolutely, not at all, ever, with "on the shelve ammo". If you're not reloading you must try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo that particular rifle shoots best. And neither the price of the rifle or the ammo matters.
    Since you are reloading, you must work up the load for that particular rifle.
    "...the Evolution..." Wouldn't worry too much about it. Savage's site doesn't show any such model. Doesn't show in a search of their site either. Despite several Canadian dealers saying they have 'em in stock. It's just a different stock anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...the Evolution..." Wouldn't worry too much about it. Savage's site doesn't show any such model. Doesn't show in a search of their site either. Despite several Canadian dealers saying they have 'em in stock. It's just a different stock anyway.
    Not to mention 5R rifling instead of the standard rifling of the original Stealth models

"...looking for a sub moa gun..." No company can give you a 100% guarantee of that without specifying the ammo used. Absolutely, not at all, ever, with "on the shelve ammo". If you're not reloading you must try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo that particular rifle shoots best. And neither the price of the rifle or the ammo matters.
    Since you are reloading, you must work up the load for that particular rifle.
    sorry,but i disagree. ..and yes,some companies proivides a guarantee on the performance,generally 1 moa or less. if
    not,you can return the gun no problems.

and this not ''just a different stock'' at all.....the action is blueprinted,the chassis is a monolithic one piece.it has a 20MOA full lenght top rail
    and picatinny side rails , the magpul prs gen 3 stock worth close to 300us alone....free foating heavy barrel 5R rifling...it is as close as a custom build as a mass production gun can be.far from your average FTR,or ruger RPR ; not in the same class at all.,and it is quite far from the original 10ba stealth.

in fact, at the beginning it's been designed to law enforcement teams ,then they decided to offer it grand public. i located couple here in canada. i've read couple raving review about the supposed fact it is a sub MOA all day even with shelve ammo(the 308),but i'd like to hear from someone with first hand experience with it.
    Last edited by glockfan; 08-22-2018 at 07:58 PM.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By glockfan

Lee Enfield (08-20-2019)

. Savage's site doesn't show any such model. Doesn't show in a search of their site either. Despite several Canadian dealers saying they have 'em in stock. It's just a different stock anyway.

no, not true .IT IS displayed on the savage website,under '''new products'''

NEW
    10/110 BA STEALTH EVOLUTION
    Blend pinpoint precision and torture-tested toughness to beat the most challenging targets and conditions. The Stealth Evolution pairs a heavy fluted barrel with a monolithic aluminum chassis finished in rugged bronze Cerakote®.

Ready for a short rant?

I have one in .308

This $2000 "factory blueprinted" rifle has such a burr/defect in the chamber that the bolt had to be hammered open and back to eject spent shells. A cursory visual inspection of the chamber, without using a borescope (I do not own one) reveals the defect as bold as the wrecked brass.

Grech has now had this gun in their possession for longer than I have had, with no news on when I can expect it back, or whether it is getting the new barrel that I feel I deserve (I'm sure it won't be)

Savage? Never again....unless it's a .22...and a cheap .22 at that.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    Ready for a short rant?

I have one in .308

This $2000 "factory blueprinted" rifle has such a burr/defect in the chamber that the bolt had to be hammered open and back to eject spent shells. A cursory visual inspection of the chamber, without using a borescope (I do not own one) reveals the defect as bold as the wrecked brass.

Grech has now had this gun in their possession for longer than I have had, with no news on when I can expect it back, or whether it is getting the new barrel that I feel I deserve (I'm sure it won't be)

Savage? Never again....unless it's a .22...and a cheap .22 at that.
    This is why I generally never try to buy a "new to the market" gun. I had this exact same issue with my Remington 700 Long Range. It would take a hammer to open the bolt. Took it to the shop I work at and ran a bore scope in the chamber to find a really nasty defect. Polished it up and it was fine although you could still see the defect.

But, respectfully, Savage has been making guns for over 100 years, this particular action for decades, and cutting chambers in barrels for how long?

They aren't a startup, new to serial manufacture, or have set up a new factory to make these

Poor QC and using bad tooling is a choice.

The same can be said for Remington and their "America's most popular" model 700

I bought the Savage because it was one of the Very few rifles of this sort to be offered in left hand configuration, at a price I could justify as a lifetime purchase.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast