Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    Well it's because we are a gunsmithing shop foremost that allows me to take my guns to work to give them a nice bath while listening to some Barry Manilow.

But it all shows you how much of a joke the ATT system is.

"No your ATT does not allow you to keep your guns locked up inside your vehicle while at work for 8 hours. We don't care if you have to travel an hour to work, then back an hour, then drive again past work for another hour to go to the range! Oh you're traveling to a different city for a couple days? Go right ahead then!"
    Whole firearm system is a joke.

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By RobertMcC

Drache (09-15-2018), FallisCowboy (09-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    Well it's because we are a gunsmithing shop foremost that allows me to take my guns to work to give them a nice bath while listening to some Barry Manilow.
    So do you listen to Barry Manilow, or do you crank it for the benefit of your guns and leave the room?

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Grimlock

Rory McCanuck (09-15-2018)

"...never ask an RCMP Officer..." Or any other cop. What you'll get is their opinion only.
    Any conditions to your ATT should be on it. However, there are automatic conditions attached already. This RCMP 2 Sept. 2015 bulletin says, "...is reasonably direct for the specific indicated purposes." No mention of no stops at Crappy Tire or anywhere else as being evil.
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/n...-09-eng.htm#a2

Quote Originally Posted by Greglc View Post
    Rcmp freind of mine I shot with said, " direct route, no stopping at canadian tire for ammo "
    Your Rcmp friend really isn't a friend.

Reasonably Direct … stops
    There is no case law of which I'm aware. That doesn't mean there isn't a judge describing it, just that I've never written it down.
    To me, reasonably direct means that :
    - the route itself is not significantly longer in time or distance than the shortest route, including traffic issues (if the highway is rush hour, driving further down back roads is now the reasonably direct route).
    - anything necessary to the drive is ok. If you're running out of gas, you can fill up. If you need to pee, you can pull over someplace to use the rest room
    - all drive through's are fine. You never get out of the car, and might not even turn the engine off, and if you could you'd be rolling just like at a traffic light. (thermos of coffee for the duck blind, hot hamburgers for everyone before the afternoon's hunting/hiking begins)
    - for long trips, stopping at a motel to sleep for the night, is still transport and the most reasonably direct route.
    - stopping at Canadian tire to fix a flat, or deal with a dashboard indicator (low radiator coolant, low tire pressure) is ok. Otherwise the car would fail which would cause a situation.

Going a different direction (to work) is a no no.

Anything that in a judge's mind, or a reasonable jury of your countrymen, that would change it from 'transported' to some other state, is out. For example the lady who drove home but didn't take the firearm out of the car fast enough for the judge's liking (a couple hours I think), although she felt the firearm was still in transport, he decided it was being unsafely stored. Going food shopping for an hour always seemed to me to fall into that category.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Greglc View Post
    Rcmp freind of mine I shot with said, " direct route, no stopping at canadian tire for ammo "
    Doesn't mean nothing. We got a former RCMP officer that shoots with us. He stops for coffee and a bite to eat after we shoot.

Decided that being pink is in
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Whole firearm system is a joke.
    I'm not laughing. Did I miss something?

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by FallisCowboy View Post
    I'm not laughing. Did I miss something?
    And they say I don't got a sense of humor.

Correct me if I am wrong here but I just read the section of the Firearms Act on transportation of restricted. NOWHERE does it say ANYTHING about a route of ANY kind. it just says where you can take them.
    The reasonably direct is most likely a CFO thing like being a member of a range.
    If it was ONLY from home to the range and back with "thou shalt not stop" and "thou shalt not even leave the vehicle to pee" the Canadian RESTRICTED Firearms Safety Course wouldn't have the section on leaving a restricted in an unattended vehicle.
    I wouldn't go to the West Edmonton Mall and leave a gun in the car that's for sure BUT if you aren't going to have it out in the parking lot at work, showing all your friends, who is going to know?
    CFSC and CRFSC Instructor to Santa

12. The Following User Liked This Post By greywolf67nt

FallisCowboy (09-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    The reasonably direct is most likely a CFO thing like being a member of a range.
    I believe that's in Regulation SOR-98/206 s.4: "A chief firearms officer who issues an authorization to transport shall attach to it the condition that the firearm be transported by a route that, in all the circumstances, is reasonably direct."

and, here's a legal comment

Included in those regulations is a requirement that the route taken by the firearms owner, from home to range and back or from home to gunsmith and back or from home to border crossing and back, be reasonably direct in the circumstances. This is an area of law that has yet to be litigated, so there is no jurisprudence on it. All we have is that requirement on its face.
    If Mr. Trudeau were asking me for legal advice, I would tell him that going to the grocery store with your pistol in your trunk is not reasonably direct in the circumstance.
    -- Solomon Friedman, Firearms Law Expert, June 10, 2015, https://sencanada.ca/en/Content/Sen/...C/33ev-52219-e

The travel from your home to a shooting range or a shooting competition always has to be the most direct route. You don't have to map it out, but law enforcement will have to do what they do every day, which is exercise common sense in their judgment to map that out. But that's a requirement in law; it always has to be the most direct route.
    -- Kathy Thompson, Assistant Deputy Minister, Community Safety & Countering Crime Branch, Public Safety Canada, June 10, 2015, https://sencanada.ca/en/Content/Sen/...C/33ev-52219-e

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    If it was ONLY from home to the range and back with "thou shalt not stop" and "thou shalt not even leave the vehicle to pee" the Canadian RESTRICTED Firearms Safety Course wouldn't have the section on leaving a restricted in an unattended vehicle.
    Good point.
    Nonetheless, just because one law allows something, doesn't mean another law doesn't disallow it. We have to be in compliance with them all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast