Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Crap like this really pisses me off and nothing will be done

So months ago we heard rumours of ranchers giving permission to a certain First Nations band to hunt elk on their property in Regions 5-13 and 5-14. There is no open season for Elk in those regions and there is maybe 30 elk in those regions total. Should be noted that this band is one of those that wanted all moose hunting stopped on their "traditional lands".

Fast forward to couple days ago and a Caucasian male admitted to myself that he (and a member of this band) had each shot an elk on one of these ranches. He argued that since he had permission from the band and the land owner, it was ok.

Later that night my dad was invited to a meeting at their band office for a matter of a washed out road and heard the First Nations individual bragging about shooting one of these elk.

To make a long story short, Conservation was called and somehow through the grapevine they had heard of what this individual admitted to me. The CO admitted that they knew one of these elk were hanging on the reserve, that the caucasian was known to them (been fined multiple times for various offenses), and that the hunt supposedly took place at night with spot lights.

It should also be noted that these people who each shot an elk were both "Land Rangers" for the band.

So I asked the CO what the punishment would be. He stated that the caucasian would face charges in court of up to $10,000 in fine and/or up to 1 year in jail, same with the ranchers who owned the land and have "permission". When I asked about the first nations man I was told that since he was First Nations and since he had "permission" from the land owner, he wouldn't face any charges for the killing the elk. He could face the charges though of shooting at night.

The only way he could face charges for killing the elk is if the band agrees that charges could be laid. Fat chance since his dad is the Chief....

Pisses me off that crap like this can happen and legally nothing will be done about it....

2. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Drache

6MT (09-22-2018), Mobusten (12-28-2018), Rory McCanuck (09-22-2018), Sinbad (09-22-2018), TRshooter (11-06-2018)

Same thing happens here with fish. 3 Native boats just sank last week in NB(or NS), while still tied to the wharf.
    They have the "right to make a moderate living" off the land, and the other fishermen do not. Strange.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Keepers of the land.......
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Decided that being pink is in
    Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    Keepers of the land.......
    Keepers????? Give your head a shake. I would use a better word to describe their relationship with the land, but then I would get infracted again. Try #metoooftheland.

Sarcasm is hard to convey in print, Fallis.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

7. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By GTW

coastal (09-22-2018), Doug_M (09-22-2018), Drache (09-22-2018), DuhBoredShooter (09-24-2018), FallisCowboy (09-22-2018), Mobusten (12-28-2018)

so what happens when they've completely over fished/hunted everything? ya know, cause you cant eat money....

64aa1fad13308302a12001ddc8c21ccd.jpg
    spelelluing

Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    Sarcasm is hard to convey in print, Fallis.
    Try using one of these at the end of your sentence.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By wolver

RangeBob (09-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by wolver View Post
    Try using one of these at the end of your sentence.
    Emojis are for pussies

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By GTW

Smc (09-24-2018), Turtlehead (09-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
    so what happens when they've completely over fished/hunted everything? ya know, cause you cant eat money....
    They used to move around, and let nature repair the damage over the next decade.
    They don't do that as much any more.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    They used to move around, and let nature repair the damage over the next decade.
    They don't do that as much any more.
    Need a permanent address for the cheques to be mailed to?
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

15. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By FALover

DasMauser (09-22-2018), FallisCowboy (09-23-2018), firemachine69 (09-22-2018), joe6167 (09-22-2018), Nick_O (02-25-2019), Turtlehead (09-22-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast