Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation Norinco T97 Non-Restricted Coming in Spring 2013

I see there are pre-sales on a couple websites for the Norinco T97 in a supposed "new and approved" for Canada version. Hopefully they are able to stay in Canada this time. (Yes, I pre-ordered one)

Yeah, I saw those too. I'm going to wait and see what sort of problems come out of the first batch before I buy one.

I won't lie... I had a bit of a freakout when I saw SFRC was going to stock them. I was on CanAm's preorder list initially and I really wanted one (I even have a scope mount for one).

I'm not going to get faked out though and I don't think anyone else should either. Within 6 months of landing, I suspect these will be going for $700. Here's why:

• There's virtually no aftermarket parts for them.
    • The previous models were prohibed and the RCMP could still be DB's about it.
    • The quality is completely unknown - but my guess is they will be comparable to the Norinco CQ's which are going for $700 and the quality for them has actually improved substantially from their initial release.
    • Importers have to pay a huge initial fee to bring them in so the initial offerings I believe price in more of the import fee.

Don't get me wrong, a non-res .223 bullpup would round out my collection quite nicely and I WILL end up with one (or two) of these - I just think the initial hysteria is jacking up the price for them, in the same way they did for the Nork CQ's when they first landed (they were $1000 - and I was one of the first buyers).

Be patient and I bet you'll save a little bit of cash
    Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 12-04-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    “It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know what sort of disease a person has.” - Hippocrates

I was born a few days before 1984... but I never lived through it until 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by harbl_the_cat View Post
    ...Be patient and I bet you'll save a little b
    I suspect your right. They aren't supposed to be in country for 4-5 months (I suspect that is absolute best case), so I'm going to keep my ears open, and can always modify my order. This way I'm on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Grain View Post
    I suspect your right. They aren't supposed to be in country for 4-5 months (I suspect that is absolute best case), so I'm going to keep my ears open, and can always modify my order. This way I'm on the list.
    Who knows, it might be like the KSG Shotgun - you can sell it for more than you paid when they first hit the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Grain View Post
    I don't think you should second guess your decision. I could always be wrong.

A year from now, the global financial markets could collapse and there could be a huge economic disruption that would make new orders of the T97's unavailable or the prices for them even MUCH higher than what they are now.

The thing you have to realize that a lot of the knocking of Chinese made stuff (especially firearms) comes as hold-overs from the start of the Chinese industrialization era in the 70's and 80's. After shrugging off the worst elements of communism, Chinese capitalists have worked very hard at improving their means of production.

To that end, they have gotten VERY good at manufacturing stuff and there are ever increasing signs that the quality of their goods are improving at an alarming pace. Odds are, if these were originally designed for the PLA, they will be pretty good, quality wise.

The Chinese (people) won't put up with working for slave wages to produce the stuff we in the west consume for much longer. They WILL demand improvements to their standard of living, and when they do, EVERYTHING we consume that's manufactured in China will go up in price. Some people argue that them doing so, manufacturers would just move to countries where labour is cheaper - which is partially true. The problem though, is that factories, especially ones with fully tooled and staffed machine shops can't be build overnight.

Of course, that's not even considering potential action by the RCMP to prohibit these things.

Assuming there's not major financial crisis (which I'm cautiously putting at about 50:50), I would expect my price projection (decreased price, increased supply) to hold true.

If there is a major crisis, I wouldn't expect these to be any cheaper than their initial offering price.
    Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 12-04-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    “It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know what sort of disease a person has.” - Hippocrates

Love to get my hands on one, not sure if it's something I'd buy though.

I like how these are $1000 and the type 88 somehow is $3000
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Who knows, it might be like the KSG Shotgun - you can sell it for more than you paid when they first hit the country.
    I certainly had that in mind when I ordered. Would rather have another AR, but being un-restricted is a big positive.

Quote Originally Posted by harbl_the_cat View Post
    I don't think you should second guess your decision. I could always be wrong...
    To that end, they have gotten VERY good at manufacturing stuff and there are ever increasing signs that the quality of their goods are improving at an alarming pace. Odds are, if these were originally designed for the PLA, they will be pretty good, quality wise.
    I agree, Chinese manufacturing is considerably better than it used to be. I bought a M305 this past summer. Very solidly built. Cosmetic machining isn't on par with Springfield, but as it cost 25% of a Springfield, I can over look it. I'm a little concerned that the 97 may have teething issues, but it has been around in various versions for a while, hopefully it's mature enough to not have any.

If in a years time they drop down to around the 700 mark, and any little problems are fixed, I'll probably hop on board and get one. They kinda look cool lol.
    -Mr.Sexy

One thing I remember when I first pre-ordered one was concerns about the ergonomics - specifically about the safety.

I think it was located near the magazine.

It looks as if Norinco fixed it with later models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QBZ-95#Ergonomic_issues

Ergonomic issues

Some experts are concerned over the awkward position of the safety lever near the end of the rifle away from the shooter's hand.[8] This position makes it difficult to quickly select "fire" when it is in "safe" mode. This is resolved on the "G" variant where the fire selector switch is repositioned above the pistol grip, giving it a thumb fire selector switch for easy firing mode transition.
    I wonder which models they're bringing into Canada.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast