Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many government workers does it take to buy a TV? About 39 public servants and 300 emails

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...and-300-emails

Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, in the CD Howe Building, decided just before the end of the last fiscal year to buy big TVs. And someone whose identity is secret did an Access to Information Act search of the details. Those details are now public.

The price isn’t a big surprise: About $40,000 for the 65-inch TVs (the number of TVs is a secret), and $65,000 to install them on 11 floors of the building at 235 Queen, with new LAN connections.

But this required written input from at least 39 public servants, not counting everyone who was CC’d, and more than 300 emails.

The end-of-March time crunch added some urgency, and some of the emails are invoices and inquiries from a construction company that did the installing.

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    hell,, I was in a military department and had a $1000 limit of spending limit no questions asked,, BUT be ready to answer questions ,, always what is best for the solider, tax papers money, best interest of Canada,, some how I struggled through with a grade 8 education,, how did we get here?
    Last edited by Billythreefeathers; 10-19-2018 at 07:12 PM. Reason: i cry for my decedents
    CSSA

3. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Billythreefeathers

blacksmithden (10-19-2018), FallisCowboy (10-19-2018), firemachine69 (10-20-2018), Lee Enfield (10-20-2018), Rory McCanuck (10-19-2018), Waterloomike (10-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Billythreefeathers View Post
    hell,, I was in a military department and had a $1000 limit of spending limit no questions asked,, BUT be ready to answer questions ,, always what is best for the solider, tax papers money, best interest of Canada,, some how I struggled through with a grade 8 education,, how did we get here?

Pretty normal across the board.

When my dad was a junior engineer, his drafting printer died, went out, price-shopped, and had one delivered at work the next day ($50k+ back in the day). From what he tells me, no one batted an eye.

By the time he made senior, he was down to a $1000 account overseeing multiple employees - and if he was spending a dime of it, there better have a long paper trail.

And by the time he was finally downsized out of a job, he had a $5 account. Just barely enough to pick up a pack of pens should someone forget on the quarterly bulk order.

Decided that being pink is in
    I would really like to know how many TV's this was. $105,000 for say 100 units is not too bad; $105,000 for 11 units sounds about right for government and our tax dollars.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by FallisCowboy View Post
    I would really like to know how many TV's this was. $105,000 for say 100 units is not too bad; $105,000 for 11 units sounds about right for government and our tax dollars.
    Gotta pay 20 people. For the only person, doing the actual work.

imagine if there was no maintenance workers and they had to screw in a lightbulb
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Unreal. I used to work in a muni government doing parts and purchasing in stores for a fleet repair shop. If I had to buy parts for equipment, I had a full green light for anything justifiably related to a repair. So like if a CAT D8 dozer needed an $80,000 engine, no problem: here’s your PO #. Tech needs a $10,000 scanner to work on a new piece of gear, no problem here’s your PO. If I was buying just random stuff (and that did happen periodically and was fully authorized), I could buy whatever was signed off on by a superintendent. Simple, clear cut 2-3 person process, a short conversation or two, maybe an email or two and it was a done deal. To hear that they complicated things this much just boggles my little pea brain lol.

Looked through the article, and in the emails was the model # of the "TV", QM65H.

Samsung QM65H 65"-Class UHD Commercial Smart LED DisplayU, and it's a "commercial display", not technically a TV.

MSRP pricing is $2,769 USD, or about $3,632 in Canuckistanian doll hairs.

The article said the TVs cost $40,000, but don't say how many. Assuming they paid full MSRP ($3,632), that would be 11 TVs. Which would make sense, because the article said they were installed on 11 "floors" of the building.

The installation cost for these was $65,000. That's an installation fee of $5,909 PER TV!
    http://www.youtube.com/battlebeaver
    ** Member CSSA, NSSF and NRA ** Why aren't you?

Decided that being pink is in
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Beaver View Post
    That's an installation fee of $5,909 PER TV!
    Sounds about right for government; somebodies second cousin, first removed, got the fat, no-bid contract.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By FallisCowboy

M1917 Enfield (10-20-2018)

I remember the time our department “had to have” 14 wired internet time display devices (clocks) so that everyone at all locations were on the exact same time and schedule. $45,000 of your city tax dollars at work.
    Oh and they were never installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast