Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the right reticle for the right purpose.

yep, i'm lost close to 100%....

...and the fun part is, for close to 10 years,my job was zero'ing rifles for those who are not 100% confident in their skills. some days during the hunting season i could go through 40 rifles of all calibers-brand and all kind of scopes,new, used,antiques and whatnot ....anything was possible haha ; but all those years i've never paid much attention on the scopes and the reticules of the moment.just take it,shoot it,zero it, next.

now i'm building MY OWN long range rig one part at a time.

i picked the tikka T3X TAC A1 in 6.5 CM.

now i'm looking for a scope.either a nightforce NXS 5.5X25X56 -8X32X56 OR the sightron 6X24X50-8X32X50......

BTW,i was set on the nightforce because the old adage '''buy once cry once'''' ; but from the infos i'm gathering,seems like sightron Slll are riding over many,many FT-R race rigs,and they're quite less expensive than the NXS series or marsh or S&B ...however,i'm not completely set about my choice yet .

now,the reticles.OMFG!!!

with that MANY reticules available these days,you need to know your business to be 100% positive on what is the best choice for the purpose intended.

milrad
    mildot
    moa
    moa2
    NPP2(nightforce)
    milhash

MOA2

milhash

mil-dot

target dot

moa-H

pfffffft...the list goes on and on lol

my rig will be dedicated to long range action,from 200 to 1000 yards,and i'd like to get one scope for it all .i must point out that i'm not intimidated about having to work with a ''busy''' reticle.whatever i'll pick,i will learn to work with it 100%

of course, i want the reticle that would allows for very precise adjustments,so of course, a .125 moa like the BR nightforce series would be cool,but obviously, most scope are working with .250 moa increments.

so,for the use i intend to use this scope for,what would be your pick and why.
    Last edited by glockfan; 10-17-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

glockfan (10-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    LOL..ya,corrected.
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

5. The Following User Liked This Post By glockfan

Stew (10-17-2018)

I would pick the hash mark reticle and go with the Nightforce if you can afford it, it’s strickly better than the sightron (not saying sightron is bad but it is lower than Nightforce)

Pick either MOA or Mil, neither is better in any way than the other except to individuals preference. If you think in meters and centimetres then MIL. If yards and inches are your thing take the MOA.

I also like the MOA-H as my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmalis View Post
    I would pick the hash mark reticle and go with the Nightforce if you can afford it, it’s strickly better than the sightron (not saying sightron is bad but it is lower than Nightforce)

Pick either MOA or Mil, neither is better in any way than the other except to individuals preference. If you think in meters and centimetres then MIL. If yards and inches are your thing take the MOA.

I also like the MOA-H as my first choice.
    what it does on top ofn the regular moa?

also, assuming one is proefficient with the reticle ,which would be ''faster''' as in '''fast target aquisition'''' in such case where you don't know the exact distance your target is at?

this question is quite imprtant to me. we generally shoot at known distances in BR activities. but many fun shoots imply not knowing the diistance of the target .then, the telemeter might tells you at what distance you are aiming at, and it's then time to remove the turett's caps. there must be one of those busy reticles that does magics very accurately and fast ?

Well, the MOA-H seems to have a “shoot here” kinda arrow...

9. The Following User Liked This Post By SIR VEYOR

glockfan (10-18-2018)

The MOA-H has the grid. If you can spot your hits it is a much easier correction.

Let’s say you are shooting at 100 yards and I call your shot 3minutes low and 2 minutes left. You now line up the you crosshairs where you just shot then take the 3rd dot down 2nd to the left and that’s where you hit. Now to hit your target all you need to do is use that dot as your new reticle, put it where your crosshairs were and you should hit.

Here is a corny video to watch.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Magmalis

glockfan (10-18-2018)

"...zeroing rifles for those who are not..." You cannot sight in for somebody else even if you're paid. Best you can do is bore sight the thing.
    In any case, the reticle makes no difference. Most of the assorted pretend military reticles are about marketing and don't make any difference to anything. Some of 'em can be used for longer ranges, but most hunters have no need for that.
    And your 'space' bar doesn't work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmalis View Post
    The MOA-H has the grid. If you can spot your hits it is a much easier correction.

Let’s say you are shooting at 100 yards and I call your shot 3minutes low and 2 minutes left. You now line up the you crosshairs where you just shot then take the 3rd dot down 2nd to the left and that’s where you hit. Now to hit your target all you need to do is use that dot as your new reticle, put it where your crosshairs were and you should hit.

Here is a corny video to watch.

yes!!! thanks for this VALUABLE post and tip.

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    yes!!! thanks for this VALUABLE post and tip.
    I have 2 nightfirce scopes right now. I run a 4-14 SHV with FFP on my hunting rig in MOA with and MOART reticle. It is my favorite for hunting.
    I also have a B.E.A.S.T. on my 338 Lapu AI with the same reticle that I might send back to get a horus type reticle put into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast