Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Mine was a tack driver. Replaced the lousy trigger with one from Rifle Basix for under $100 and it became the perfect beater coyote gun. Sad I traded mine away, but not sad I traded it for the 35 Whelen.... But I miss the 3/4” groups from crappy Winchester white box, which was $20/40 rounds with 45 grain hollow points at the time.
    I was in that phase where it wasn't bull barrel or tactical, I did not want it. Shame because it did shoot under an inch at 100Y. Using the same whitebox. Now that I'm older I kinda wish I still had it.

Rem 783 potential

Rifle I used at the BCPRL in Merritt: Rem 783, Shilen Select Match prefit in 223 Rem, 8 twist, EGW base, Burris Ring holding an Athlon Ares ETR, Boyds ProVarmint stock, CDI DBM - modified to work.

Conditions were really nice and the 223 Rem kept up nicely. But at distance, the Hornady 75gr BTHP's were hard to spot... so work will begin on another chambering.

22 Creedmoor...

Jerry
    rem783.jpg
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

3. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

Gunexpert007 (10-24-2018), kennymo (10-24-2018), LB303 (07-14-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    When an Axis is knocking on $500, there can't be too many frills there.
    Is there any chance of getting decent accuracy? I honestly don't know.
    I have had two of these rifles over the last ten years. I sold the first one thinking that I was done shooting the .223. I regretted selling it. I bought another in stainless.

In stock configuration, the best accuracy I could get out of both was half inch groups at a hundred yards.

I bought the second one so that I could put a heavy barrel on it. I picked up a Shilen heavy barrel for it in the beginning of this year from Jerry Teo at Mystic Precision.

I only had it out only once this spring. I had several loads made up for it, but only tested half of them. The best group was a half inch. With further load testing I know I can close that up some more.
    It is a single cylinder, single stroke internal combustion engine with a small diameter disposable free floating piston.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By MK Wheelie

Rory McCanuck (10-25-2018)

Delivered next day!

TC Compass 6.5 Creedmoor.jpg
    "One more time into the fray, to the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. LIVE and DIE on this day!"

7. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Mikthaniel

Drache (10-26-2018), Lee Enfield (10-26-2018), Rory McCanuck (10-26-2018)

I'm still waiting for mine to get here. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday. But checking the tracking information it hasn't moved in a couple days. (Last update was it was picked up by Canada Post... and that was 4 days ago.) Was kinda tempted to call them and ask what's up/why it hasn't moved in so long (surely the strike wouldn't affect it for 4 days right?) but not sure if that's really a good idea. Though I kinda regret not going with the more expensive shipping cost now. Would have gotten here by now.

Just for sht & giggles. Up to what size animal can you hunt with a 308?

I want a bolt gun & might be using it in the future. Right now probably use it for target.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissArmyMan View Post

I want a bolt gun & might be using it in the future. Right now probably use it for target.
    It will kill anything on the planet with the right bullet type and shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissArmyMan View Post

.308 Winchester will kill anything on this continent. Not saying I’d make it my choice for grizzly or polar bear, but it is pretty capable. My uncle and his hunting partner both used .308 with 180 grain hand loads moose hunting for many years. He bagged one across a swamp at 400 yards, as much as I enjoy my Weatherby magnum and 35 Whelen they’re not all that necessary here.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

12. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

lone-wolf (11-23-2018), Rory McCanuck (11-23-2018), SwissArmyMan (11-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    It will kill anything on the planet with the right bullet type and shot placement.
    Sounds good guys. But what I meant to say is "legally" hunt. I can kill anything with a 22 also, if I shoot it enough times, lol.

Another quick question, can I shoot 7.62x51 in a 308 gun? Probably not, right?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast