Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Buying a bolt gun

So I've been considering buying a more budget oriented bolt action rifle for a while but I'm not sure which to get. I'd like to have it for some hunting and maybe some distance shooting (or what passes for distance shooting here in Nova Scotia).

I've looked at:
    - Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 creedmoore (~$500)
    Not sold on the colour of the rifle (I like my rifles to be black/blued. Anything else just kinda doesn't look good to me.) The rifle doesn't come with any optic and has no iron signs so it means buying an optic. Though it does have a picatinny rail for mounting. I've also heard mixed reviews about the Patriot with people saying it's accuracy is not overly good.

- Mossberg Patriot Scope combo in 30-06 (~$550)
    I like the idea of having a scope come with the gun. Usually Vortex makes decent scopes. And the scope that this gun ships with is normally $230 +tax on it's own. So it makes this a bit better of a bargain (so it seems). I also like this gun because it comes in black. Though on the down side is the 30-06 has more recoil... Though I have no idea how much more. (I've only shot .308 a few times and it wasn't bad at all. But I'd imagine a 30-06 is a bit more than that.)

- Savage Axis XP in either 6.5 creedmoore or 30-06 (both are same price - ~$494)
    I've never really been impressed with the Savage line. It's just never struck me as one I needed to have. But with the price roughly in par with the others, it's not bad. Offers both 6.5 or 30-06 to boot so then it really comes down to cartridge selection.

- Remington 783 in 6.5 creedmoore (~$574)
    I don't overly trust the Remington line. Especially since they were looking like they were heading into bankruptcy. People have also stated that quality control in recent years has declined so I'm a bit wary to trust Remington. Plus the cost is a bit higher than the others. Like the Mossberg Patriot (6.5cm) it also has no scope but has a picatinny rail.

I've been kinda wavering on 6.5 creedmoore since I haven't really seen that calibre around here much. Meanwhile the 30-06 is a solid option though the rounds aren't exactly cheap, but they're likely in a lot more places. (If I had to I probably could buy them at Canadian Tire. Not sure if I can get 6.5cm there...)

So then...
    Thoughts on these rifles? Anyone own one/several of them or shot them? What did you think? Any you'd recommend or say to steer clear of?

As an aside... I know people will probably say it... "Get <gun> in .308" but I don't want to duplicate calibers (yet) and I'm holding out for a .308 rifle already (come on Non-Restricted FN Scar 17S). So I kinda don't want to get a .308 bolt rifle. I'd be open to other options though.

.243 or .270 Winchester are good all around calibres in those types of guns as well. The Creedmore is a neat little round, but they seem to want a premium for any ammunition I’ve seen. The price of trendiness I suppose, but I’ve shelled out over $50 a box for Weatherby ammo so I won’t judge....

I’ve handled a couple 783’s, they seem decent and are damn accurate (unless quality has taken a nose dive in the last year or so). My uncle possesses a pair of Axis rifles, also damn accurate, but I still can’t get over their appearance....

Most of the current bargain bolt actions seem to be built more or less in a similar fashion and perform more or less the same as far as I can tell, giving accuracy in the range of ‘pretty good for a hunting rifle’. I don’t suspect you’d be left feeling too put out by any of these guns.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A friend works occasionally at the LGS and tells me the Axis is a decent rifle for the price. I am a Savage fan and think they are OK. I also have a TC which was very reasonable and find it more than adequate.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Lee Enfield

glockfan (10-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    The Creedmore is a neat little round, but they seem to want a premium for any ammunition I’ve seen.
    Price wise it's on par with 308 now

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Drache

glockfan (10-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    Price wise it's on par with 308 now
    Where are you buying your .308? I haven’t seen Creedmore under $50 a box anywhere local. Though I suppose if you were buying match ammo the .308 costs go up. I was thinking more along the lines of some Federal blue box or some such for the possible deer hunting.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Gunexpert007 (10-19-2018)

Lee Enfield,
    A TC? Is that a Tikka?

Also, the Savage I was looking at (link is the rifle name in the original post) comes with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope, which even if it isn't a great scope itself is still good value. (The rifle is cheaper than some of the others plus has a scope, which the next cheapest... the Patriot 6.5cm doesn't have one.)

I guess the main problem is a wealth of choice making it tough to choose.

Though for scopes, when it comes to Bushnell's 3-9x40 and Vortex's crossfire II 3-9x40, are there aspects that make one better than the other?
    I know it's probably better to buy a nice high end scope (Leupold or something like that) though, but it's an extra/increased cost that'll have to wait for now.
    Last edited by Jay.ec; 10-19-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: wrote predator when meant to say patriot

If I had to buy one of those, it'd be the 783 as it can be tricked out and is a good base as Mystic Precision has shown.

T/C is Thompson/Center
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.ec View Post
    Lee Enfield,
    A TC? Is that a Tikka?

Also, the Savage I was looking at (link is the rifle name in the original post) comes with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope, which even if it isn't a great scope itself is still good value. (The rifle is cheaper than some of the others plus has a scope, which the next cheapest... the Predator 6.5cm doesn't have one.)

I guess the main problem is a wealth of choice making it tough to choose.

Though for scopes, when it comes to Bushnell's 3-9x40 and Vortex's crossfire II 3-9x40, are there aspects that make one better than the other?
    I know it's probably better to buy a nice high end scope (Leupold or something like that) though, but it's an extra/increased cost that'll have to wait for now.
    Sorry, no Thompson Center Venture, mine is .223 and my son has a .270. Both are very accurate and cost under 600.00. The Savage is probably a decent buy especially with a scope.

I think a Savage Axis in 308 is probably your best bet .
    Last edited by Gunexpert007; 10-19-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Lee Enfield,
    Ah, hadn't heard of that rifle. I may have to look into it now.

The quest for inexpensive ammo is always on... I can't say I've looked at the price of .308 around here but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't exactly cheap. Plus region matters a lot (Ontario or Alberta likely has cheaper ammo than here).

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast