American Eagle Bulk 55 gr. .223 American Eagle Ammo...

Hi everyone,

What are your thoughts on this ammo?

I have tried it in a Remington Sportsman 78, and found it to give me only 3" groups at 100 yards. Likewise, I have recently built an AR15 using a 20" Dominion 5.56 barrel with a 1:12 twist, and the AE ammo gave me at best 3 13/16". I was not super happy with either, and was blaming my not shooting enough on the 78's groups, and the rifle and low cost barrel on the AR's less than accurate groups.

I had a container with me of old varmint loads I made up about 25 years ago using someone's HPBT 55 Gr. bullets and figured I would give them a try; 5/8" in the Remington; 15/16" in the AR; Sub MOA in both rifles!!

What are the experiences of others?

I now have to start reloading .223 ammo again; near as I can figure. LOL
    AE in the AR:IMG_0352.jpg
    Home loads:IMG_0353.jpg

Have used bulk and boxed and had better luck than you did and I know some guns literally won't group with some ammo. Now more confusing the issue of both guns not grouping makes one wonder what is happening??

I am positive I was getting around 1MOA with it as have done more 3/400m shooting at clays with excellent results. I have used a Savage 10 and Thompson Center Venture with both types of ammo.

I never got good results from the federal bulk stuff, 3moa sounds right.
    Plinking ammo.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

I've shot a fair bit of this ammo through my AR15 (S&W M&P15T)... While I've never actually spent time to see how good groups I could get, it has always worked and the limited times I have checked to see what kind of accuracy I was getting it was acceptable to me. (Though I've only shot it at 25 yards with magpul flip up sights.)
    So it's probably just ammo for blasting rather than long range precision shooting.

I've tried some of my own handloaded .223 (campro 55gr projectile, ~25.5 grains of IMR 4895, Federal #205 primers, 1x fired American Eagle brass cases) and they seemed to do pretty well. (Though I never really patterned these either. I just shot those mostly to try out my XL650 and see what kind of results it would get.)

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Jay.ec

Neil Burke (10-25-2018)

I get better groups from Norinco yellow box than I do from federal, Winchester and umc bulk stuff. In both an AR and HB savage. Chinese quality control for the win,lol.

Thanks for your feed-back. I split a 1000 round box with a friend of mine who likes it, but he has only shot it and Remington bulk. The Remington bulk shows over pressure signs in both his rifles; printed and extruded primers, and the odd blown primer. He has a bolt action savage, and a Troy PAR. While the Barrel in the Troy is stamped .223, I understand that they are actually chambered 5.56. I think he is hooting around 3" groups as well. He is afraid of home-loads, and would not try them; but after seen the accuracy difference, I may be able to get him to try some next time out. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.ec View Post
    I've shot a fair bit of this ammo through my AR15 (S&W M&P15T)... While I've never actually spent time to see how good groups I could get, it has always worked and the limited times I have checked to see what kind of accuracy I was getting it was acceptable to me. (Though I've only shot it at 25 yards with magpul flip up sights.)
    So it's probably just ammo for blasting rather than long range precision shooting.

I've tried some of my own handloaded .223 (campro 55gr projectile, ~25.5 grains of IMR 4895, Federal #205 primers, 1x fired American Eagle brass cases) and they seemed to do pretty well. (Though I never really patterned these either. I just shot those mostly to try out my XL650 and see what kind of results it would get.)
    I'm only shooting paper now, so I too was considering giving campro a try. I have used their 9mm and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyreefer View Post
    I get better groups from Norinco yellow box than I do from federal, Winchester and umc bulk stuff. In both an AR and HB savage. Chinese quality control for the win,lol.
    I would love to try some, but the Norinco seems to be hard come by here in Ontario.