Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have been around guns for over 50 years, My wife and I had been married for 27 years and had never really showed any interests in shooting. She had asked the odd question but that was about it. We have three children all shoot and hunt thanks to dear old Dad taking them along when they decided they wanted to go.
    One day I was off to the range by myself the kids had other things to do (teenagers) and for some strange reason I asked her to come to the range. Got the no right off the bat but by the time I got loaded up and ready to leave she had warmed up to the idea of coming along. I told her if she brought a book that if she didn't like it she could read and I would shoot for awhile. To shorten this up she loved it and She is one very, very good shot. She started with a 22 and has shot pretty much everything that I own up to the 50-90 Sharps.
    She doesn't like the Big Bore Mags but anything that has relative light recoil she will shoot.
    Moral of the story whom ever it is Man Woman or Child they have to want to try it and the one teaching them or showing them has to use a little savvy and start them on something that they will enjoy. Everyone of us on this forum and any other forum know that shooting a rifle and handgun is very addictive.
    The wife has been shooting for 8 years and has no inclining to get her Pal but she owns guns and will tell you that all day long. They are legal before I get static about that just not in her name.
    Good Luck and hopefully All that want to get someone to shoot with them can accomplish this with a little time and work.

Ken.

Tell her that this this the new girl at work who some help with her positions

Woohoo! Yesterday, the girlfriend came over to the range during our IDPA classifier match to see what this shooting thing is all about. At that point, she had never seen a gun being fired up close and personal. She hadn't even touched one. So, after the classifier was over, went to the car to get a few items out of the trunk: Savage Mark II BTVS, Browning Buck Mark Camper, CZ SP-01 Shadow, Winchester 1300 Defender, and Norinco M305.

I showed taught her everything she needed to know to shoot safely and then she got hooked. Naturally, she hit the bullseye on the first shot - just like every girl I've ever taken to the range for the first time. With the 12ga and the 308, she only needed two shots to hit her point of aim. A buddy was there with an M&P9, so he let her try it. In the end, she said she preferred shooting the Shadow. This morning, she sent me a good morning text message and said: "I totally want to go shooting again! Bullets are on me." I'm a happy camper.

P.S. Now I think I want to buy an M&P9. lol

When I first met my wife she was anti gun, she was raised anti gun (her Mom is terrified of them thanks to the media) but after a close encounter with some coyotes while walking her small dog, and a Savage model 24 passed down to her by her Grandfather, she has changed her mind. She is now an active member at the local range, proud owner of 2 rifles of her own and is soon taking the restricted firearms coarse.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    When I first met my wife she was anti gun, she was raised anti gun (her Mom is terrified of them thanks to the media) but after a close encounter with some coyotes while walking her small dog, and a Savage model 24 passed down to her by her Grandfather, she has changed her mind. She is now an active member at the local range, proud owner of 2 rifles of her own and is soon taking the restricted firearms coarse.
    Nice, that's what we like to hear! Also a first post, Welcome to the Forum!

Update to my previous happy story. Yesterday, the girlfriend sent me a note saying she wants to sign up for the next CFSC and Ontario hunting courses.

Just started seeing a woman who used to hunt with her grandfather. This was many many years ago and he's long since passed. Hoping to get her out with me as soon as the snow disappears to see how well she still shoots then out hunting this fall!

I admit to not reading every comment up to here so forgive me if it's been said...

But if you REALLY want to get your wife into shooting...

TELL HER YOU SLEPT WITH HER SISTER!
    "One more time into the fray, to the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. LIVE and DIE on this day!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikthaniel View Post
    I admit to not reading every comment up to here so forgive me if it's been said...

But if you REALLY want to get your wife into shooting...

TELL HER YOU SLEPT WITH HER SISTER!
    You would be her first and only target!

sorry if its been said...its still kinda early...but make sure you plan ahead for weather, drinks and food if your going in the bush...lol everything a girl needs pretty much...this is more if your going into the bush or a gravel pitt as most ive been too don't have flushing toilets and concession stands...my girlfriends actual words from last time " I cant wait for summer, this would be so much more fun if it wasn't cold "...
    NFA Member

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast