Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    One year ago I was in the same position you were in, except with a wife of a decade. I was very much fighting a "Never going to happen in my house" mindset.

What worked for me was having a guy who knew a lot more about guns than I do come over and basically teach her a streamlined process of what we teach in the Army for an introduction to firearms. Same concepts to enforce an environment of safety, like first bringing up that there is no ammo present, first explaining how guns work with pictures only, designating a safe area, and then finally bringing some out.

Then it was on to getting comfortable holding them, and eventually the marksmanship principles of how to effectively shoot the things. That process was a whole evening on a Friday night, and Saturday we went to a proper range. She started off with a 22LR on a bipod from 25m, and by the afternoon she was shooting 9mm pistols, and an M14 from the standing.

She absolutely loved it, and for her what she loves is that it's a big stress reliever from the hours she spends every day in an office environment, and being annoyed at people over Excel and Powerpoint.

Because of that day, I got my PAL last summer, last fall I got three rifles (including a 22LR Remington 597 for her), and I just got my R-PAL, bought a Glock, and I'm about to buy an AR15 and a 22 revolver. The only real stipulation was that they had to be uuber secured when not in use (which is 99% of the time), and I wasn't going sit there in my chair hugging them while watching TV. And that they are, always unloaded, in redundant heavily locked cases, with ammo in a separate area, and the kids will never see where the keys are.

This has all happened in one year, and my wife started off very much as an anti. Not a fanatic about it, but definitely on the other side of the fence.
    Last edited by Petamocto; 03-31-2014 at 07:33 AM.