Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

How to get the fiance into shooting?

So, I'm looking at taking get my PAL/RPAL soon, most likely once school slows down a bit. Now I know that this is great way to get out and escape with the boys, but I thought that it would be nice if I could try and get my fiance into it as well. We don't really have many hobbies that we do together, and I think shooting might be a great way to have a common interest. I'm not saying she has to become a IPSC champion, but it would be nice to get her out to range every once and awhile to put some holes in paper. The only real problem is that she is terrified of guns, at no real fault of her own, as she never grew up around guns, and has only ever seen what our lovely media likes to show about them. She has agreed to take the course with me, I'm just wondering, do you think that having her take the course would ease her fears and make her more comfortable around firearms? Or would it be more beneficial for me to get the PAL, and the two of us take a beginner shooting class (after teaching her about basic firearm safety).

Thoughts?

I've got my wife booked for her PAL/RPAL after the New Year, she grew up actively discouraged from touching firearms. After a couple of trips out to the bush (zero pressure) with the .22, then the .410, Mini-14,etc. up to mild loads through a 12 gauge, we hit the range for fun with pistols! She shoots my .38 better than me, darn it.

I feel this way of showing new people is best, starting small, targets in close so everyone's a winner, and crown land if possible: reactive targets(clean up!) and "relaxed" range rules- still safe, but you can go at your own pace..heck, make a picnic out of it.

If neither of you have your licence yet? Sounds like a cool couples thing for her to brag about to her friends! Let her pick the next couples activity after you both pass? I r now swing dancer...

My 2¢.
    CSSA CCFR

Good advise Strewth!

Don't compromise on safety but emphasize the fun factor. Something you can do together is a good selling point. Assure that she feels comfortable, a firearm is only as dangerous as the person handling it.

Perhaps some good videos? Avoid the ones where some clusterf*ck gives a new shooter a .50 caliber to shoot for the first time.

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    I second the reactive targets and a 22 or 223 once she makes that first hit and sees that it's not an evil baby killing sport she will understand why we do the things we do with our hobby . If shooting center fire try to double up on the hearing protection as its mostly the sound that scares most people

My wife grew up around some not so 'gun safe' people, and she was in high school one county over from Columbine, so she was growing up with a not so good image of firearms.

When I met her I had only even been to 1 range ever, down in Florida, so my experience with firearms was severely limited, so I had a really hard time explaining to her why I eventually wanted to own a firearm. Eventually, after much convincing, I got her to come with me to Target Sports for, for my 2nd time shooting, and her 1st. Honestly, I didn't have to do much when we were there to convince her, the little safety briefing calmed her nerves, I shot first so she could watch, and then when she took her first shot... She was hooked, haha! We left with her going on about how much she loved the .357 and the 12 gauge!

Since then I got my RPAL, and she comes out with me almost every time I go out shooting. It's awesome. Hell, last time we were out, she wouldn't give me the Norc M305 back!

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    I've got my wife booked for her PAL/RPAL after the New Year, she grew up actively discouraged from touching firearms. After a couple of trips out to the bush (zero pressure) with the .22, then the .410, Mini-14,etc. up to mild loads through a 12 gauge, we hit the range for fun with pistols! She shoots my .38 better than me, darn it.

I feel this way of showing new people is best, starting small, targets in close so everyone's a winner, and crown land if possible: reactive targets(clean up!) and "relaxed" range rules- still safe, but you can go at your own pace..heck, make a picnic out of it.

If neither of you have your licence yet? Sounds like a cool couples thing for her to brag about to her friends! Let her pick the next couples activity after you both pass? I r now swing dancer...

My 2¢.
    Awesome, you might know my sister if you attend any big swing events...

My wife was very timid but I explained to her that I wanted her to understand the basics so she could be safe with firearms as they are in our home. I also hinted that I would enjoy having her with me when I spend time pursuing my hobby. We started with 22 close up and she has fun now. Always education and understanding first.

Great, thanks for info guys
    I'll hopefully have her come out and take the course with me in the new year. I'm looking to pick up an AR15 for my first purchase, so I'm fairly certain the recoil will be manageable for her. I'll probably pick up a RDS just so she doesn't have to worry about figuring out irons, and can just shoot for fun. Thanks again, and I appreciate the video posted, some really good info in there.

If you're both taking the course together, that seems like the best idea. AR15 with a red dot sounds ideal to me as well. Have fun.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

I battled my better halfs indifference to guns buy buying her some neat "low recoil" options. Rem 597VTR with A2 stock was first, and she doesn't mind it. Then a Walther P22, which was a great investment because its really small for her hands, runs on almost any 22LR I put in it and the single action pull is not to bad. Then I got a 6" GP-100 with full underlug and loaded her some 38 sp soft stuff and one of those reactive targets that rolls and she is HOOKED! That revolver is a recoil free dream and I can still work on my pistol skills with it.

I should state that my lady chooses not to shoot anything with recoil. So it has been a struggle.
    I <3 10mm auto

Well, thanks to this 's actions on Friday, my fiancé is dead set against me having a firearm in the house. I have tried to explain it, but nothing has worked so far. Looks like I'll have to wait until all of this dies down, and try again.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast