Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    If Air has to do the "cleanse" I'm thinking of it requires a bending over, a firehose, and a bucket
    You need to go sit in the corner and think about what you've done young man

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    This thread has gotten super bizarre. I'm curious to know how the OP made out, though.
    Have you noticed how that happens Mr. Peta?

Actually I was pulling on Mr. Harbl's chain a bit and don't have a prayer of one upping him as regards care and feeding of a wife goes. In fact I sold the only house my wife thought she owned and so she is now "houseless" and forced to live an unstable life in a trailer. I do prepare all her meals though and she thinks I'm close to perfect now which is a delusion I try not to shatter.

I do think there are good and better ways of introducing anyone to the gun game. I liked what you did. "Easy does it" is probably a good path is most cases. For example going to a high level IPSC match might be exciting for some but intimidating for others. Some gentle exposure at a quiet range would likely work for most at least the first time. I think new people need goals that are easily met. Big noisy guns and fools doing mag dumps beside the recruit won't likely impress.

I do think combining the outing with some social time has merit. With two or more converts, they will likely reinforce just how positive the experience was and most of all how much fun shooting is.

I've taken a few people to the range for the first time and don't know who benefited the most. There's an old saying that goes: " If you really want to learn something, try teaching it". I'm always the winner when I introduce newbies to our games.
    NightHawkCustom Pred II 45, NHC .22 upper, Stag Arms AR 15, Rem. Versa Max Tactical 12 Ga. Tanfoglio Ltd Custom Xtreme, an upgraded Tanfo Ltd Pro, Seraphim 1911 .45 ACP Archangel, Seraphim 9mm Warfighter, SIG P320 FS in 9mm with a .40 conversion and now a SIG P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by hercster View Post
    "For me personally, I KNOW if I ever lose my wife, I lose ALL my guns (and I have a lot of guns). As seriously as I take gun ownership - I take my marriage even more seriously."

Huh ????

I've been married 47 years to the same woman and have always hidden things from her.

Unless it's totally safe, everything I say or do is carefully packaged by the PR / HR expert who lives in the back of my head. I didn't survive 47 years by being stupid.

^^^ This we've been to the same school
    I'll do what I have to do and deal with the consequences of my actions later

Quote Originally Posted by hercster View Post
    Have you noticed how that happens Mr. Peta?

Actually I was pulling on Mr. Harbl's chain a bit and don't have a prayer of one upping him as regards care and feeding of a wife goes. In fact I sold the only house my wife thought she owned and so she is now "houseless" and forced to live an unstable life in a trailer. I do prepare all her meals though and she thinks I'm close to perfect now which is a delusion I try not to shatter.

I do think there are good and better ways of introducing anyone to the gun game. I liked what you did. "Easy does it" is probably a good path is most cases. For example going to a high level IPSC match might be exciting for some but intimidating for others. Some gentle exposure at a quiet range would likely work for most at least the first time. I think new people need goals that are easily met. Big noisy guns and fools doing mag dumps beside the recruit won't likely impress.

I do think combining the outing with some social time has merit. With two or more converts, they will likely reinforce just how positive the experience was and most of all how much fun shooting is.

I've taken a few people to the range for the first time and don't know who benefited the most. There's an old saying that goes: " If you really want to learn something, try teaching it". I'm always the winner when I introduce newbies to our games.
    Tee hee... "Mr. Peta"

One thing is my wife's not really into shooting, even though I constantly badger her to get her PAL. Without it, she can't qualify for Firearms Legal Defence insurance, and so I deny her access to all the family guns without me being present.

It's pretty nice - since it gives me the opportunity to build some pretty sweet man-caves where she just can't go into, hence the "hiding stuff" quip.

I realized this morning counting all my old registration certificates and receipts in the 8 years I've been shooting (7 years dating/engaged/married), I've gone through about 50 guns, bought, sold, traded and given away. I suspect if she regularly went into my man-cave/gun rooms, that number might be quite a bit lower.

Still, I do my best to keep her happy and while she KNOWS I've gone through that many guns she doesn't quite have a full understanding of the implications therein. She still accepts shooting as a part of me being who I am and loves me for it.

I'm a really lucky man.
    Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 04-01-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    "Father Time is undefeated. He's lost to nobody. Not even Mother Nature."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567