Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vortex Spitfire 3X Not Magnified?

Iím out hunting this week, shotgun with a Vortex Spitfire 3X.

I used to have the smaller cheaper 1X, but I got this because I loved my ACOG and wanted something similar.

My problem, however, is that Iíd swear this is still not magnified even though itís supposed to be 3X, which is very confusing.

Iíve sat there staring at numerous things while waiting for a deer to come, scope up, scope down, scope up, scope down, and Iíd swear that things look the same size.

If they are larger, itís barely imperceptible, like 1.2-1.5X, but I honestly wouldnít even give it that much credit.

My TA11 ACOG is 3.5x and I have numerous conventional scopes that go down to 3X or 4X and when you look through those youíre looking at something thatís clearly larger.

Any ideas what it could be? Is this common? I almost think that it may be a knockoff, but I canít undersrand why that would happen for a cheaper brand, and it looks and feels legit (came with box and everything else).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, please. I should have just stuck with the 1X, because I basically have a 1X now thatís more expensive and heavier.
    I have no signature block.

Something is up if it's not a noticeable difference.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Not to be an ass, but are you sure it's a 3x?
    They also make a 1x, perhaps it got switched into another box?

Measure the length of it, if it's 4", it's a 1x, if it's 5 1/2", it's a 3x.
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/category...e_prism_scopes

I notice with my 2-7x, if it's at 2x things almost appear smaller than with the naked eye.
    Great for shooting both eyes open though.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Rory,

No hard feelings at all, man, you’re not being an ass.

Yes I’m sure it’s the 3x. I used to have the 1x and I got rid of it to get this.

“3x” is even stamped on the side.

Unless you’re telling me that 3x is a model line and not a magnification amount?

If 3x is a model line and they make a 1x magnification and 3x magnification version, then that would be a dick move on Votex’s part, but at least it would explain the issue.

For your second point, that’s rediculius that your 2x seems smaller than reality. That is the opposite of what is supposed to happen. As I stated, my ACOG is just over 3x and everything is noticeably bigger than reality. My Vortex 1x that I used to have looked normal.

No, I'm reasonably sure that 1x means 1 power and 3x means 3 power magnification, not model numbers.
    If not, I'm sure the internet would have raised the hue and cry caling for Vortex's collective heads.

The effect with my scope is weird.
    Where I'm hunting right now, I'm looking through oak and poplar bush, with those damn willows underneath.
    See a deer in the dark bit, raise the gun, and at 2x nothing is there.
    Turn the magnification up to 2.5, and suddenly there's a deer, clear as day.

Now, if that buck would stop hiding behind those 2 oaks and 2 poplars together (twice now, the bugger), and the damn crosshairs would stop wiggling around all over the place, I'd be done hunting this year.
    I may have to send the scope back for warranty with those jiggly crosshairs.
    Only seems to happen when there's a buck in them, does they're steady as could be...

Back to the subject at hand, have you ever looked at their flip over magnifier?
    Sits inline with everything, but flips off to the side when you don't want it.
    Seems like a nice option for tight dark places.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

It sucks but you might have to take it off and look through it under more controlled circumstances. Try setting it on the kitchen table, resting your head where you can see something, and slide the sight back and forth into your field of vision. If you hold super still and keep your focus on the object and it doesn't appear to change at all, then maybe they assembled it with the incorrect lense or case?

Can you send it in to vortex?
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps Ė each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidyn View Post
    Can you send it in to vortex?
    I’m definitely going to. Stopping at Cabela’s and Bass Pro tomorrow to see if they have a new one I can look through.

I confirmed that it’s not just mine, but all of them.

I went to Cabela’s and looked at their new one, and it was the same issue.

Looking through other 2-7x scopes at the lowest setting was noticeably more magnified than looking through the “3x” Spitfire.

I asked other people there including the guy behind the counter to see if they had the same experience, and they all agreed that there was no way it was actually magnified 3x, and not even as magnified as other scopes on 2x.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

Rory McCanuck (12-01-2018)

Well, I was thinking about getting one, not anymore.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    Well, I was thinking about getting one, not anymore.
    Don’t take my word on it, just know what to look for the next time you’re able to test it side-by-side with something else that’s 3x.

If you do take my word on it, just buy their 1x because that optic was great. Cabela’s still has them on sale through tomorrow for $200 and it’s fine as-is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast