Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Run 'n' Gun View Post
    Also, maybe a 1x-? variable with a dot might work for you. Just keep it @ 1x while walking and zoom when you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    See through spring loaded scope covers work well for your snow issue. I used to keep them on the objective end of a couple scopes (I found I don’t get too much debris in the eyepiece). You lose a little clarity, but still good for quick action up close. If you’ve got more time to aim or there’s snow/rain/ice/crap on the lens, tap a lever and it goes away.
    Yes, and yes.
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/730/b...h-scope-covers

They really help to keep the kakah off your lenses, and they're instantly ready.
    If they're iced/fogged up, they pop open almost instantly, as your thumbs are already pretty much right there.
    It takes a special set of circumstances to be able to fog up both the covers and then the lenses underneath.
    I was able to accomplish it this year, but I'm kinda speshul...

I find the band around the clear lens blocks a bunch of light right at dusk or dawn, so I just pop them open as I'm bringing the rifle up.
    I have them on all the hunting rifles' scopes, and most of the others' too.
    Even just keeping the dust off is nice.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Rory,

Great option for someone who just focuses on those other issues, but I really want to keep irons.

Something happened to my scope last week (likely on the flight getting banged around) that knocked my scope completely out of alignment, not just by inches but by feet.

If that ever happens again, I want irons to be able to hit things at close range through irons, which allows the quickest possible target identification.

Great thing to have on my other guns, though, and I think I may pick some up for my conventional rifles.

Edit: that Cabela's page seems to have an awful lot of low ratings, with the main complaint being that they won't stay closed (?)
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

I'm still a fan of the old Tasco-type rings, with the slotted nut on the cross bolt.
    That way, if something happens to your scope, a quarter and some determination can pull it off and you can still use the sights.
    Not as convenient as flipping out of the way or see-though mounts, but more secure and more useable than either.
    And let's be honest, scopes are of such good quality nowadays they just don't fail like they used to.

For the lens covers, yes they pop open.
    That's because they bought the one a touch too small and it's stretched over the bell.
    I find it seems to work better if you get the next one up that is just a bit big, then a couple wraps of electrical tape to build up the diameter of the scope to hold the cover tightly.
    I need to do that to the rear cover on my 280 I was carrying this year, the cover would pop off putting it into the guncase.
    I also need to get one size bigger for the front, as it kept popping open.
    Even so, it just wasn't that much of an annoyance while pushing through the bush.
    Just click it closed again, certainly not worth writing a bad review because I forced on the wrong sized one.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    I'm still a fan of the old Tasco-type rings, with the slotted nut on the cross bolt.
    That way, if something happens to your scope, a quarter and some determination can pull it off and you can still use the sights.
    Not as convenient as flipping out of the way or see-though mounts, but more secure and more useable than either.
    And let's be honest, scopes are of such good quality nowadays they just don't fail like they used to.

For the lens covers, yes they pop open.
    That's because they bought the one a touch too small and it's stretched over the bell.
    I find it seems to work better if you get the next one up that is just a bit big, then a couple wraps of electrical tape to build up the diameter of the scope to hold the cover tightly.
    I need to do that to the rear cover on my 280 I was carrying this year, the cover would pop off putting it into the guncase.
    I also need to get one size bigger for the front, as it kept popping open.
    Even so, it just wasn't that much of an annoyance while pushing through the bush.
    Just click it closed again, certainly not worth writing a bad review because I forced on the wrong sized one.
    I personally like the old weaver tip off rings. Only 2 screws to deal with trying to align. And one thumb screw, anything flat, Can be used to take them off.

I’m not going with anything that requires installing or uninstalling.

I need something that I can walk through the woods with, and quickly make a snap shot with irons if I get a chance shot at a close deer, or make a quick shot with a scope if I see a deer at 75+

If you ever find such an animal, please let us know.
    I'd buy one or three.

You want a bicycle (reliable, slow) and a motorcycle (fast, runs out of gas) and are looking for the best moped. I'd choose one or the other and plan my travel accordingly. I wouldn't pursue the moped option, which does neither well.

No, I'm not talking about making your gun go fast...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I disagree. If anything, that’s closer to the 3x red dot I had before with the Vortex 3x.

A scope and irons at the same time can be the best of both worlds, I’m just looking for opinions on how to pull both off.

Super high see-through rings are the leading candidate so far.

best of both worlds
    Super high see-through rings
    We’re just trying to tell you there’s a reason not many people go this route anymore. It’s been done, and it sounds a lot better than the actual end result. One of those ‘great on paper’ kinda things.....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Rory McCanuck (12-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    I disagree. If anything, thatís closer to the 3x red dot I had before with the Vortex 3x.

A scope and irons at the same time can be the best of both worlds, Iím just looking for opinions on how to pull both off.

Super high see-through rings are the leading candidate so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Weíre just trying to tell you thereís a reason not many people go this route anymore. Itís been done, and it sounds a lot better than the actual end result. One of those Ďgreat on paperí kinda things.....
    Yep, that's my point. Super-high see-through = moped.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast