Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Options for double optics? (Scope and irons).

After spending the last week hunting I've come to two conclusions:

1. The Benelli SuperNova is a great goose gun due to it being 3.5" and being a beefy heavy gun to eat up the recoil, but it's too heavy to bush bash with, so I'm selling mine and going with the Weatherby PA-459.

2. As per the other thread about not liking the Vortex Spitfire 3x, I'm wondering what my options are for double optics (scope and irons).

The PA-459 has a fairly short rail, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to swap it out with a longer one. It comes with ghost rings with a removable rear, and that rear would likely get in the way of a scope, even with high rings, so here are some options that I'd appreciate input on:

- Some form of super high mounted rings that you can see through. I'm not even sure if you can get rings high enough to get the rear of the scope up and over that rear iron.

- Some form of normal high mount really long cantilever see-through scope mount that lets you see through it to still use the irons because the scope is set up far enough forward that it's like a scout scope.

- Ditch the rear iron, go with a normal scope, and try to mount offset 45-degree irons if there is enough rail left.

- Is there any scope that has a decent iron set on top of it? Kind of like the Army's C79 that has a battle sight on the top in case the optic getting snowy or muddy, but that's more of a clumsy one instead of a good one.

- Is there a decent conventional scope that comes with rails on the top to put the irons on top of the scope? I've seen tactical scopes that had this but not conventional scopes. Or, rings with rails on top that I could mount irons on, but then they'd only be a few inches apart so not that accurate (?)

- Have the scope and mount something like a laser backup instead of irons, which can be mounted from any angle.

Thank you for any input or ideas.
    Last edited by Petamocto; 12-02-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    I have no signature block.

They make see through rings.
    You need a step ladder to be able to see through the scope, but they exist.
    Weaver makes them.
    They also used to make tip-off rings so you can just swing the scope off to the side, but I can't find them on their site.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

07CBEB36-C8DE-42E7-9988-7AE7F4CA4C1E.jpeg

The old timers used to use these on their hunting guns. Sold as ‘see through’ or ‘view through’ scope rings. There’s a couple different styles out there, all basically really high rings with a window of sorts in the lower portion. I never cared for the extremely high scope position, makes for lousy cheekweld, which will probably be made worse by the type of stock those tactical shotguns have. Personally, I’d look for a quality quick detachable ring/mount if I were attempting to do what you are. I have a 1-4x 30mm with a red and green illuminated reticle that would probably be damn near perfect for your setup though. I use it on my 45/70 guide gun, with the intentions of it being the ‘up close at the last second of legal light’ gun. Illuminated zero magnification for up close action, moderate zoom for longer shots, works with or without batteries. At that point, screw the irons.....
    Last edited by kennymo; 12-02-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Kennymo,

Thank you for posting those. I have seen rings with see-through portions before, but never that wide open. I'd ask you where you got that pic from, but it's not a picatinny base so I couldn't use them anyway. Ebay nor Amazon has anything with that large of a window.

I know the extra high cheek (chin?) position would make it awkward, but it's worth it for me to make sure I get the right shot placement if a deer is 100m away.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/6316/...see-thru-rings

Weaver makes a set that should work. (Yes out of stock, but for illustrative purposes)

I still think a 1-4x or 1-6x optic with illumination would give you everything you’re looking for with less hassle.

You could also add a set of 45* bases and mount the scope to the side. I have a similar set up on the AR, works well.
    Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push

Interesting. I’d thought of offset (45 degree), but not for the scope itself. I had thought of 45 degree iron sight but then I’d have a very small sight to sight distance.

I guess an offset scope would allow me to keep the irons the same, but wow that would be a challenge to have the angled scope match the angle of the gun.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it.

I guess I should clarify, I have a Vortex reflex on the 45. the scope is straight up.

Also, maybe a 1x-? variable with a dot might work for you. Just keep it @ 1x while walking and zoom when you need it.
    Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push

Quote Originally Posted by Run 'n' Gun View Post
    ...Also, maybe a 1x-? variable with a dot might work for you. Just keep it @ 1x while walking and zoom when you need it.
    Not after what I had happen last week. I don't want anything that has any potential to fog up or get covered in snow when going through snow-covered bushes.

I know that technically irons can fill up with snow, too, but obviously as soon as they're cleared you can shoot from them, as opposed to a wet piece of glass.

Whatever set up I go with will have to have a set of basic irons on it.

Since reading your first post I did look into 45 offset scope rings and they do exist, which would leave me my unimpeded irons as-is, but I'm worried that it would interfere with casings trying to be ejected.

I've got offset 45 flip-up irons on my AR now, but it's also a full rail so I have the room to play, the shotgun I'm buying just has the short rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Interesting. I’d thought of offset (45 degree), but not for the scope itself. I had thought of 45 degree iron sight but then I’d have a very small sight to sight distance.

I guess an offset scope would allow me to keep the irons the same, but wow that would be a challenge to have the angled scope match the angle of the gun.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it.
    A set of those little scope mounting levels are your best friend for that sort of thing.

See through spring loaded scope covers work well for your snow issue. I used to keep them on the objective end of a couple scopes (I found I don’t get too much debris in the eyepiece). You lose a little clarity, but still good for quick action up close. If you’ve got more time to aim or there’s snow/rain/ice/crap on the lens, tap a lever and it goes away.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Stew (12-03-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast