Poland/Netflix "1983"

A netflix backed drama from Poland, the trailer doesn't tell you much but here it is.
    Basically in 83 Poland had a terrorist attack which entrenched it's communist leadership into 2003(current setting for the movie)
    Follows a former homicide detective who 'asked too many questions' and was demoted to search and destroy missions on illegal media(books, movies, ect.)
    The other main character is a law student who's parents were killed during the 83 attacks, and was groomed by the governing "The Party"(as they're referred to) for largely propaganda purposes. A photo of him laying a lily on his parents coffin is as common as a crucifix in Polish homes.

Half way through, the series reminds me of Occupied, as it's a fairly solid foreign language show, and seems believable. I leave the audio to the original and read the subtitles, hard to say for sure but the actors seem pretty good.

the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Hmm had it on my watch list for the Orwellian aspect, now you've given it a slight Bradbury flavour too...

You can watch it in Polish with English subtitles? I started to watch it only to find it was dubbed. I turned it off after 5 minutes...I can't stand dubbing. I much prefer subtitles in foreign language movies.
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    You can watch it in Polish with English subtitles? I started to watch it only to find it was dubbed. I turned it off after 5 minutes...I can't stand dubbing. I much prefer subtitles in foreign language movies.
    Yea, you need to pause and go to the options(top left if it's like mine) to change it to the original polish

I can't stand dubbing either, it's like out of sync audio - drives me up the wall, it's all I can focus on.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Okay thanks. Good to know. I'll have to give it another try. When it comes to dubbing, all I can think of is the SNL skit with Bill Murray as Hercules in which they spoof the practice of dubbing. I think the skit is hilarious but for me it is an accurate representation of my impression of dubbing.
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

Watch "kung pow: enter the fist" for some (purposely) hilarious over dubbing action.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?