Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've had a few gooders but I think my all time favorite was helping my friend take down his buck. We saw it, got out and he fired. The thing jumped about 8 feet up and took off into the thicket. Yep, we hit him, but not enough to kill it (unfortunately) Anyways buddy goes into the thicket chasing after it, I went around back hoping to cut it off and I see it's already made it through and hopping along heading to the next tree line. I think sh!t, Rick is too old and out of shape to go chase after that boy guess I should. I go over to track it, there's no blood but I can still follow it's tracks in the snow. Followed them through the tree line to another field to see him hobbling along at about 400yds diagonal from me. I throw out the bipod and go prone, check him out in the scope. Yep he's definitely hit and I have to take him, it's now or never. Gave him a lead, gauged my drop and let him have it. He hunched up, walked another 10 yards and went to sleep.

After I caught up to him, I saw where my friend hit him and felt bad for him. Shot his foot off That boy would have survived it had I not taken him but would have lived in agonizing pain till the wolves got him.

I don't know about my "best shot", but I do know two of my most memorable. The first was when myself, the mrs. and Tikka, my Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever, went to the spot I was putting my blind. It's surrounded by cat tails and in 3' of water. I was adding another small section with a bench and railings. My waders were still on order so I had a stump I was standing on. Well the stump kicked out and I found my self with soaked from the waste down. I had thrown out a few decoys and handed my 870 to the mrs. While I worked on the blind she played with her call still learning to quack. I'm wet, cold and crotchety and she starts taping on my shoulder.
    "I see a duck coming" she whispered
    " cool." I said
    "What should I do?" She asked nervously
    "Shoot it if it gets close." I replied
    "No you shoot it." She said handing me my 12 gauge.

The mrs. gave a couple quacks and it was coming right into the decoys. Being my dogs first season at the time she wasn't completely steady and would creep once and a while if not corrected. Tikka broke and I verbally corrected her. The mallard having heard me flared at the last minute. I drew a bead on it and swung through the 870 barked and mallard crashed into the water. Tikka looked at me and I yelled "back". She made the retrieve and delivered to hand. Her first mallard retrieved flawlessly. Our training paid off. We have a picture of that day. My wife took it with her small canon camera and it is a beautiful photo that hangs up in our kitchen.

The second most memorable was Tikkas first flush and retrieve of a grouse. We seen a sharp tail run into a big patch of Labrador Tea bushes. I sent tikka into the tea, she caught the bird's scent. The sharptail burst out of the Labrador Tea. I shouldered my marrochi o/u and listened for the guns report. The sharptail folded in the air and disappeared back into the tea leaves. Tikka hasn't moved from the spot she was in when the sharptail took off. I released her with a "fetch it up". She deliverd the bird to hand. It was amazing. After that first flush and retrieve I learned a few things. Like the importance of having a dog to retrieve downed game, I'm color blind and probably never recovered the birds. I also learned that would the beginning of a battle to make Tikka steady to flush and fall. Lol This will be her forth season. I've already began training again. She's steady to shot. It's the falling dead birds that gets her excited.

Hope you enjoyed my post.
    Last edited by happykal; 03-29-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    KAL

Way back when I was just a kid, maybe 12 or 13 years old, I was out hunting with my dad. We came around a corner and my dad points out a grouse about 20 yards off, so I load up the BRNO .22 and pop it through the shoulders. Just as my dad goes over to grab it I notice another grouse 50 yards out. I take my time and aim carefully holding at the top of its head and squeezed the trigger. It went down where it stood; the shot had removed everything above its beak. I was even more impressed with myself since I was shooting from a standing position.

most memorable shot was when i was about 12. Dad was taking me out deer hunting for the first time. I had used firearms, first time hunting anything other then grouse. Anyway, being all excited, I was up waaaay before my Dad. Got everything ready, started coffee, went to load the truck up. As I went to take the rifles out, I happened to look out the door, and saw a sweet 8 point buck standing about 20 feet on the other side of the truck. Keeping in mind this was my first time, all I knew was that it had more then 2 points, and it was a whitetail. Up comes the 30-06, chamber a round, shaking really bad, scope seemed kinda fuzzy but oh well. BOOOOOOM! closely followed by a crash, and a mighty roar from my parents bedroom. Yes, in my excitement, I was still standing in the middle of the kitchen. shot right through the window in the door, and the screen door, and nailed the buck. Parents bedroom was on second floor above the kitchen. Dad alternated between being very proud of my buck, and totally pissed at the busted window.
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    My first (only) moose - I was quadding back to camp from an unsuccessful morning stalk on a beaut of a muley buck, whan I saw the back end of a moose disappear into the bush! Humph, thought I, another animal frightened away by my pure sexyness (day 6 at camp) but I will go take a boo anyway. I wandered into the trees, not thinking much of it, and low and behold about 300 yards in, the spiker is standing in the middle of a little meadow! I lined up the 100 yd shot, and it was like time stood still, Matrix style. I squeezed off the perfect shot, broadside through both lungs and the heart, and the rubbernose gently fell into what was not a meadow, but a swamp, with massive sinkholes in it. By dark we had my mud moose out, and to this day my buddies that ever so graciously helped me get him out have not failed to remind me about my perfect shot, and how much fun they had helping me.
    Ba ha ha, Ok, beer coming out of nose again!!!

Does this quailify me as a paper hunter?

Nice Grizz Asphalt Cowboy
    Still waiting for my black bear rug...
    And it's spring time

Quote Originally Posted by Edenchef View Post
    Ba ha ha, Ok, beer coming out of nose again!!!

I actually just got reminded of this again the other day by my good friend Colin. We don't see each other too much during the year these days, so he generally tries to bring up my moose when we do bump into each other. This time we were walking out to his truck, and I commented on how muddy the poor girl was....
    "Not as muddy as I got helping you with that ----- moose!" says he gleefully.
    Shake my head, look at the sky.......frick I wish he'd down something somewhere awkward.....
    CSSA CCFR

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire1 View Post
    most memorable shot was when i was about 12. Dad was taking me out deer hunting for the first time. I had used firearms, first time hunting anything other then grouse. Anyway, being all excited, I was up waaaay before my Dad. Got everything ready, started coffee, went to load the truck up. As I went to take the rifles out, I happened to look out the door, and saw a sweet 8 point buck standing about 20 feet on the other side of the truck. Keeping in mind this was my first time, all I knew was that it had more then 2 points, and it was a whitetail. Up comes the 30-06, chamber a round, shaking really bad, scope seemed kinda fuzzy but oh well. BOOOOOOM! closely followed by a crash, and a mighty roar from my parents bedroom. Yes, in my excitement, I was still standing in the middle of the kitchen. shot right through the window in the door, and the screen door, and nailed the buck. Parents bedroom was on second floor above the kitchen. Dad alternated between being very proud of my buck, and totally pissed at the busted window.
    LOL!!! If I had ever pulled that, Id expect dad to come down 'ready for war'!! But yea, the reaction after would be about the same. Epic!

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post

I actually just got reminded of this again the other day by my good friend Colin. We don't see each other too much during the year these days, so he generally tries to bring up my moose when we do bump into each other. This time we were walking out to his truck, and I commented on how muddy the poor girl was....
    "Not as muddy as I got helping you with that ----- moose!" says he gleefully.
    Shake my head, look at the sky.......frick I wish he'd down something somewhere awkward.....
    I can t even begin to think about how many times I've turned down a shot because it would take too much work to get an animal out. My dad threatened that if I ever shot something in a real hole, he'd just send me in with a fork and knife and not to come out until it was finished.

Banned
    Quad with a winch, trailer and chainsaw; will travel. If you had seen the places my dad goes to get firewood....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast