Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

What was your single best shot?

For me, no question - I was out quadding with an old family friend down an abandoned logging road. We rounded a corner, and the road made a long sweeping curve down the side of the mountain and back up. on the far side, I saw a lone grouse. I told the old guy to stop - he didnt believe I could SEE a bird at that distance - and went on one knee; adjusted my sight to 100 meters on my Tula TOZ 17-01; and let fly. The bird bounced up five feet and landed to the ground. I ran, rifle in hand, counting 127 paces - note I stand 6' on bare foot with long legs - and retrieved my dinner. One shot, through the spine atop the shoulders. Ive since scoped that Tula.

But anyway. Anyone else have sweet shots they care to share?

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    That's easy. I was looking at a 10 point mulie buck through my scope. he was looking right at me. Only about 75 yards. He was down in a bit of gully and I could only see from his nose up. I could have easily put one right between his eyes but I really didn't want to screw up his rack/skull. I knew there was about a foot of snow on the ground. I shot low, through the snow, and put the bullet in his chest/shoulder. There are 3 witnesses to this right here on the site, including one of the admins.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Shot a running deer, in the neck, right into the spine and it dropped dead. Luck & inexperience cause it wasn't a smart shot to take. First and only deer I killed so far.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

My first (only) moose - I was quadding back to camp from an unsuccessful morning stalk on a beaut of a muley buck, whan I saw the back end of a moose disappear into the bush! Humph, thought I, another animal frightened away by my pure sexyness (day 6 at camp) but I will go take a boo anyway. I wandered into the trees, not thinking much of it, and low and behold about 300 yards in, the spiker is standing in the middle of a little meadow! I lined up the 100 yd shot, and it was like time stood still, Matrix style. I squeezed off the perfect shot, broadside through both lungs and the heart, and the rubbernose gently fell into what was not a meadow, but a swamp, with massive sinkholes in it. By dark we had my mud moose out, and to this day my buddies that ever so graciously helped me get him out have not failed to remind me about my perfect shot, and how much fun they had helping me.
    CSSA CCFR

Two years ago while gopher hunting I took a shot at a magpie, off hand, sitting on a fence post about 250yrds away with my 17HMR. Poof, feathers.

When I was still a teenager, my buddy took a raven, on the wing, at 200+ yards with a beat-up, open sight cooey that had the stock held together with electrical tape.

My single best shot is mostly horse**** luck. Coyote running across one of our fields on the farm. I got out of the truck, headed to the fence line. Rested up on a fence post, and let one rip. Low - adjust my kentucky windage and fire again. Crumpled the coyote just before he crossed the quarter section line. Somewhere in the range of 800 to 880 yards. I was using a well tuned .300 WM; my old man has killed a few coyotes around the 1000 yard mark with the same rifle.

Certainly not my longest, but got a small 5x5 whitetail buck at 25 yards with #4 buckshot. He was running hellbent for leather down a coulee, came around a corner straight at me, before he knew what was happening it was over. Haven't used buckshot to hunt big game since.

Two whitetails, through bullrushes at about 50 yards. There was a little open spot in the reeds,
    and I saw three come though it. Shot the first in the neck, and she dropped like an anvil was dropped on her head. Cranked the lever like a 13 year old with his first girly book, and
    hammered the second one. It made it about 10 yards into the reeds. All told, I'm sure seeing, thumbing hammer back, sighting, shooting, reloading and shooting was less than two seconds. My buddy was suprised to see two deer down, he thought it was one shot.

The old Cooey repeater did some good work in the pasture when I was a kid.
    The front sight was bent over a bit, I'm sure it was so I could shoot around corners
    I got a lot of practice with it on gophers, and if I could see them, there was a pretty good chance they were going down.

When I was a boyI was only allowed to head shoot grouse with the .22, my best was probably about 80 yards with my single shot, lever action with open sights. I was ten, so it was a pretty big deal.
    Happiness is a Warm Gun

After missing my first shot (at an oh so easy) 30yds on a coyote I redeemed myself by reloading my 243 and giving him a 3' lead as he was bolting into the next county. The 75gr V-max smacked him right in the pumpkin..,at 184yds
    I love the smell of burning gun registrations in the morning.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast