Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Senior Member RangeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    39,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    If for some reason something can't be cooked on a grill, it should be cooked on/in cast iron.
    I have Lodge cast iron in a half dozen types. The three I keep handy are {8" upper diameter, 10" upper diameter, 12" upper diameter}.
    For the sausage I used the 10 " upper diameter.

    I got them at Bass Pro Shop years ago. Not very expensive there, and they had a rack of nothing but Lodge cast iron things.

    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    My wifeís tendency to use a cast iron pan then leave it at the bottom of a sink full of water for extended periods of time means I keep my complete Cabelaís cast iron cookware set stashed away where she canít find it. It comes out on special occasions when I know Iíll be around to monitor itís status until clean and dry.
    Mine go into the sink when I'm done cooking, and it doesn't take more than an hour for the bottom to start to rust. They're so hot that I'm not really comfortable putting them anywhere else but under the hot water tap.
    I scrub them out, top and bottom, with a metal scrubber in the sink. No soap, just water and elbow grease. Then dry it on the stove and put some oil on the top, then store it when it cools off.

  2. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

    Rory McCanuck (12-22-2018)

  3. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    I have Lodge cast iron in a half dozen types. The three I keep handy are {8" upper diameter, 10" upper diameter, 12" upper diameter}.
    For the sausage I used the 10 " upper diameter.

    I got them at Bass Pro Shop years ago. Not very expensive there, and they had a rack of nothing but Lodge cast iron things.
    Despite the deceptive price, Lodge Logic is the best quality retail cast iron out there. Of course, I suspect RB already knows this from his usual extensive research.

    And finding cast iron in yard sales, value village, etc is hit or miss. Lots of it can be resurrected, but it’s not common.

  4. #13
    Senior Member RangeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    39,920
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    And finding cast iron in yard sales, value village, etc is hit or miss. Lots of it can be resurrected, but itís not common.
    Yep, Griswold's and Wagner's, are supposedly better -- but as you say it's hard to find stuff that hasn't been manufactured in 50 years, and a complete set forget it.
    Lodge you can actually go out and buy from any of a variety of places, and it's easily good enough. Just cast iron, nothing else (e.g. no enamel) -- and that's a very good thing.

  5. #14
    Super Moderator Rory McCanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Manitoba
    Posts
    11,941
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    My wife’s tendency to use a cast iron pan then leave it at the bottom of a sink full of water for extended periods of time ...
    And yet she seemed so nice.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

  6. #15
    One Mile Mentor tigrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Horsefly BC
    Posts
    1,984
    I sold my bbq. But I will build a smoke house to rival butcher shops. Just as soon as I finish my reno. Getting old and slower sucks. I now have an awesome sausage making setup. Only time will tell if I survive all the testing of smoking recipe's. Ask Dmay for smoking recipe's I think he is an expert at it after tasting some of his pork chops. Imho.
    Sorry Darrell the cats out of the bag.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Just left of Sask.
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Despite the deceptive price, Lodge Logic is the best quality retail cast iron out there. Of course, I suspect RB already knows this from his usual extensive research.

    And finding cast iron in yard sales, value village, etc is hit or miss. Lots of it can be resurrected, but it’s not common.
    If you hit the right garage sales there are deals to be had on cast iron, my wife sold my 12” pan to a cousin for $5.00.
    It was lovingly cared for and will be missed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •