Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    People have different definitions for "sport car". As far as AWD sport cars, you're limited in options. You could go with an AWD Volvo, but it's hardly a sport car. Sporty, perhaps.

Golf R32?

Having owned a WRX, I'd vouch for that. If it's too boyracer for you, try a BMW 3 series if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    People have different definitions for "sport car". As far as AWD sport cars, you're limited in options. You could go with an AWD Volvo, but it's hardly a sport car. Sporty, perhaps.

Golf R32?

Having owned a WRX, I'd vouch for that. If it's too boyracer for you, try a BMW 3 series if you can find one.
    100% agree on that sports car are different to different people. R32 might hit all his wants but they’re still pretty $$$ no?
    Please refer to me as Waynetheperson, I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    I’m looking for a car to drive. Probably not every day, but whenever I see fit. No racing involved.

I realize that parts are expensive and they break - I used to run a Jaguar as a daily driver, so I’m familiar with the game. I ran that car for a few years until the engine piled up, and then I parted it out.

Lots of skeptical people out there, I’m quite surprised.
    Did you run a Jag when Lucas the prince of darkness did the wiring harness? If not you have no idea just how expensive it was to attempt to fix wiring on a weekly if not more often basis. Why didn't you rebuild the motor? I'll speculate it would have cost multiple times more than the car was worth when you first got it. A buddy bought his daughters a BMW, serious head issue and the repair was 6 grand a couple decades ago. That is what is wrong with most high end cars, repairs will bankrupt you and they are never ending.

The biggest mistake many make is buying something they think they look good in and finding out they can't afford the cost of keeping it on the road. Buy a Audi/VW/Porsche and prepare to spend mega bucks keeping it on the road. Worked with a guy that had a Cayenne, wiper blades, there are three of them cost $400.00 and need to be replaced every year..

My son worked as a mechanic at a VW dealership. Great cars but would NEVER own one out of warranty as the never ending issues will bankrupt the average person. They drive great but are a nightmare to fix and are beyond complicated. When he worked there he told me VW Germany said Canada had high warranty claims because the mechanics were incompetent. So VW builds cars that continually break down under warranty and that is because the mechanics in Canada are incompetent. Only a arrogant Kraut (family, mothers side) could dream that one up.

Someone said buy a Dodge Hemi, do it as the wreckers are full of them and used parts are cheap and IF you take care of it they are pretty good in a straight line.

It is difficult to drink Champagne on a beer budget.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Lee Enfield

Waynetheman (12-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    I’m looking for a car to drive. Probably not every day, but whenever I see fit. No racing involved.

I realize that parts are expensive and they break - I used to run a Jaguar as a daily driver, so I’m familiar with the game. I ran that car for a few years until the engine piled up, and then I parted it out.

Lots of skeptical people out there, I’m quite surprised.
    Edmonton Mercedes dealer has several cars in your budget, all 2000+ for vintage, some poking should turn up f8ne deals.

I’ve found most “sporty” top branded vehicles are in much better shape than the lower brand ones. For example, an older Escalade with higher km is typically in way better condition than it’s chevy/gm clones.

If you’re willing to avoid the dealer as much as possible, you’re styling. And order most parts now, even pretty uncommon ones, for several online parts places. Rock Auto, Canadian wheels (AB based), etc come to mind.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By SIR VEYOR

JustBen (12-23-2018)

Toyota Supra
    Gun control is supported by an illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Curly1

Lee Enfield (12-23-2018)

an old nissan 350Z would be the way to go for me . easy to fix,parts are everywhere,and once fix'ed and in shape it,s fast enough for the kind of roads we have to face. the steering feel is go kart alike,which i love....i owned a 2002 back in 2006,and it was a reliable car.only thing for me is it's been a speeding ticket collector as i'm used to sport bikes. doin 200+ with this car was a joke. it is an accessible sport car that won't break the bank compared to beemers ,audis....and such....
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By glockfan

infidel29 (04-10-2019), Lee Enfield (12-23-2018)

I would agree with others on after warranty costs...it's up there. If AWD is a requirement most BMW are along that line and would suit you for tinkering. Lots of info on youtube. I would also suggest a hemi as they come in AWD also. If within the factory warranty then additional warranty can be had for a few dollars more.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly1 View Post
    Toyota Supra
    lmao which one? The $80k unicorn? Or the unloved head gasket blowing boat? (I actually have a soft spot for the unloved mk3 was soooo close to pulling the trigger on a 1jz swapped one about 10 years ago. )

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    an old nissan 350Z would be the way to go for me . easy to fix,parts are everywhere,and once fix'ed and in shape it,s fast enough for the kind of roads we have to face. the steering feel is go kart alike,which i love....i owned a 2002 back in 2006,and it was a reliable car.only thing for me is it's been a speeding ticket collector as i'm used to sport bikes. doin 200+ with this car was a joke. it is an accessible sport car that won't break the bank compared to beemers ,audis....and such....
    Z cars are extremely undervalued imo and one of the few real analog vehicles still around. A few years ago when they dropped the retail price on a brand new base model 370 under $30k that was a massive steal I see low mileage ones around all the time for a hair over 20 add an lsd and away you go! If you’re gonna get a 350 snatch one up quick as the value is low enough kids are starting to use them as drift cars and they’re making a come back (see the values of a rat trap 240sx these days?). Long run the CD transmissions in those cars are quickly becoming the go to for cheap strong stick in engine swaps I think so if you ever wanted something crazy to drop in there’s options. I’ve been eyeing 370 for a while now.
    Please refer to me as Waynetheperson, I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Waynetheman

glockfan (12-23-2018), Lee Enfield (12-23-2018)

[QUOTE=Waynetheman;657432]lmao which one? The $80k unicorn? Or the unloved head gasket blowing boat? (I actually have a soft spot for the unloved mk3 was soooo close to pulling the trigger on a 1jz swapped one about 10 years ago. )

Not sure which one it was, but, a couple of years back, read 10 or so, my buddy took me on a wild ride in his on the Sea to Sky. He had added a turbo to the car and I seen to remember it being a r35 engine. That thing just kept pulling and he claimed to have done it up cheap.
    Gun control is supported by an illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynetheman View Post
    lmao which one? The $80k unicorn? Or the unloved head gasket blowing boat? (I actually have a soft spot for the unloved mk3 was soooo close to pulling the trigger on a 1jz swapped one about 10 years ago. )

Z cars are extremely undervalued imo and one of the few real analog vehicles still around. A few years ago when they dropped the retail price on a brand new base model 370 under $30k that was a massive steal I see low mileage ones around all the time for a hair over 20 add an lsd and away you go! If you’re gonna get a 350 snatch one up quick as the value is low enough kids are starting to use them as drift cars and they’re making a come back (see the values of a rat trap 240sx these days?). Long run the CD transmissions in those cars are quickly becoming the go to for cheap strong stick in engine swaps I think so if you ever wanted something crazy to drop in there’s options. I’ve been eyeing 370 for a while now.
    My dream car is a 300 ZX. Not sure why.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast