Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best Sports Car under $20K

So 2019 is going to be my year to buy a sports car, but I’m undecided. Living in Alberta, I am leaning strongly towards having AWD. And having kids, I need 4 seats. 2 doors is fine, but I need somewhere to stuff the munchkins. $20k is a pretty firm limit - this will be cash, not financed.

My ideal car is a Porsche Carerra 4S - but in my price range, I’m only going to find a 996 - and generally one in not the best shape. A Subaru WRX would fit the bill but seems a bit too “boy racer” for me. I could probably justify a few more dollars if it was a sports SUV like a BMW X5M or Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

Right now, I’m leaning towards a BMW 535xi with the M package. There seem to be a few around in my price range too.

What would you buy in this price range and why?

While you’re expressing a taste for the exotics, look at importing from Europe. Or older JDMand import it probably best bang for buck. And good chance to get really exotic. With your location, dealership work isn’t going to be that common anyways.

I have been a gearhead forever and a day and am always stoked when someone else is jumping in. A couple first hand experiences from me and please don't take this the wrong way..... My son has a very expensive Audi paperweight in his driveway after a timing chain event at only 112K and a good buddy got his fiancé a BMW X unit and it has been an absolute beast on parts. I just about passed out when they told me what they payed for a headlight unit. Just something to keep in mind, the cost of keeping it on the road.......

Personally I favour the domestics, find a 6.2L Camaro and let Davenports give it a little loving. I'm putting down over 510 to the rear wheels and the magneto rheological suspensions are superb. I get the appeal of import sports cars but at that price point I'd be very cautious.....

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By 2012Cvoguy

GottaBeKD (12-22-2018), Gunexpert007 (12-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 2012Cvoguy View Post
    I get the appeal of import sports cars but at that price point I'd be very cautious.....
    Yeah, I realize that I’m opening a can of worms, but I fully expect to have to pony up for some parts. This won’t be a daily driver, but more of a work in progress and a fun toy when time permits. That’s why I’m paying cash and buying what I can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Yeah, I realize that I’m opening a can of worms, but I fully expect to have to pony up for some parts. This won’t be a daily driver, but more of a work in progress and a fun toy when time permits. That’s why I’m paying cash and buying what I can afford.
    Watch the Old Top Gear and see what they were buying for 80s supercars and such. All in assorted states of running, but they pounded the hell out them and kept rolling. I’m thinking they spent $3-5K Canadian. Only have to pass inspection once (two at same time) for import and drive in Alberta. Not necessarily a good option for routine inspection places like NS though.

Maybe get a couple similar models, for parts or selling off. 2-8 cars per container, same shipping costs. Import isn’t too hard. And you can always fill the container with other stuff to sell as well. Remember, Audi, Mercedes, etc are like Kcars and sun fires here.

Maybe Joe in Poland can check them out even.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012Cvoguy View Post
    I have been a gearhead forever and a day and am always stoked when someone else is jumping in. A couple first hand experiences from me and please don't take this the wrong way..... My son has a very expensive Audi paperweight in his driveway after a timing chain event at only 112K and a good buddy got his fiancé a BMW X unit and it has been an absolute beast on parts. I just about passed out when they told me what they payed for a headlight unit. Just something to keep in mind, the cost of keeping it on the road.......

Personally I favour the domestics, find a 6.2L Camaro and let Davenports give it a little loving. I'm putting down over 510 to the rear wheels and the magneto rheological suspensions are superb. I get the appeal of import sports cars but at that price point I'd be very cautious.....
    Yep , I was thinking the exact same thing . At the OPs price point , he may end up with a little older car ; and when it comes time for service and parts , it is going to hurt . Buyer Beware....use caution !
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

What about Audi S4? AWD, Comfort, 4 doors, V8. And can be found for less than 20K. I know couple years ago I drove my buddy to grab a mint one.

My buddy upgraded to a 2018 Corvette. And he went head to head in a drag with a S4 with a DSG trans. And Lost BIG Time.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

335 with a tune and the M package. Smaller than a 535.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Smc

PrepperProcrastinator (04-24-2019)

You wish list exceeds your price point by a bundle if you want a reliable car that won't bankrupt you.

Sorry.

I'd personally say get something with a nice sounding engine like a Hemi. Lots out there and prices in and around your budget.

German cars while great will cost and arm and left testy in parts when they need them. At that price range, they're a little on the older side. BMW 335d or x5 35d is amazing btw... slight tune and it puts down 330hp and 600 tq.

I can give car experiences. Firmarm advice is the reason I'm here.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GottaBeKD; 12-22-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast