Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    I'm half assed prepped. We are going to overhaul this spring, starting with the Mother of All Garage Sales that will equate to free for the right folks to make the physical space that is needed. I want to be able to take in my six kids, their spouses and the couple grandkids and do it in relative comfort. I have a rough draft and will continue to refine it over the next few months. A Tidy Tank for fuel and a couple other big ticket items will sting a little but so be it.......

During a conversation about prepping a single guy said 4 boxes of condoms. He didn't want to get all the sjw's pregnant while they stayed with him a while.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By tigrr

chrisc (01-07-2019), play.soccer (01-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.ec View Post
    A survival manual type book might be a good idea too. Not an ebook but an actual physical book. Something you can read to gain some knowledge, re-read later for a refresher or hand to another person so they can better themselves. (I'm not sure which book would be a good one... suggestions anyone?)
    The outdoor life series are not too bad. I have this one

There are tons of different editions, some may be more in depth than others and more specific or narrowly focused.

Canadian edition

There are dozens. Pick the one(s) you think are the best out of them or which ones cover things you don't already know.

ETA: Amazon has previews of the contents of a bunch of them so you can get an idea of what's inside. I think I might pick up the extreme edition and maybe one of the other ones too, to complement the one I already have.
    Last edited by Steve MKII; 01-06-2019 at 01:19 PM.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Steve MKII

Swampdonkey (01-06-2019)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Tools and mechanical skills Has anybody said tools and skills yet ? Have some basic tools on hand at all times. A set of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. You should at least have a selection of tools that covers your skill level. Theres no point in owning a 0-6" micrometer set if you dont know what they're for or how to use them. Everybody needs a selection of screwdrivers, wrenches, a couple of hammers, a pair of vise grips, etc. Develope your skills over time as well. You cant fix a roof if you dont know how shingles are laid down and secured. Even if you dont have the opportunity to actually practice a skill, at the very least, watch a video. The blacksmith (shameless plug. Lol) was one of the most valuable people in a village back in the day. If we ever get thrown back to a time before electricity, I plan on being the guy who makes and fixes things. Having a lathe and a knee mill, and a generator to run them will prove invaluable in a time when there hasn't been electricity for a few months.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 01-07-2019 at 05:09 AM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

7. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

chrisc (01-07-2019), ESnel (01-07-2019), Hidyn (01-08-2019), lone-wolf (01-07-2019), SIR VEYOR (01-07-2019), Swingerguy (01-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Tools and mechanical skills Has anybody said tools and skills yet ? Have some basic tools on hand at all times. A set of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. You should at least have a selection of tools that covers your skill level. Theres no point in owning a 0-6" micrometer set if you dont know what they're for or how to use them. Everybody needs a selection of screwdrivers, wrenches, a couple of hammers, a pair of vise grips, etc. Develope your skills over time as well. You cant fix a roof if you dont know how shingles are laid down and secured. Even if you dont have the opportunity to actually practice a skill, at the very least, watch a video. The blacksmith (shameless plug. Lol) was one of the most valuable people in a village back in the day. If we ever get thrown back to a time before electricity, I plan on being the guy who makes and fixes things. Having a lathe and a knee mill, and a generator to run them will prove invaluable in a time when there hasn't been electricity for a few months.

Thatís a great point that most probably donít think of, I didnít.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 01-07-2019 at 05:10 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Swingerguy

blacksmithden (01-07-2019), SIR VEYOR (01-07-2019)

The yellow pages and importantly, the white pages.

Yellow pages are initial shopping guides, with white pages catching the smaller ones of same type. If the hordes are out, look at the smaller listings of what you’re after. Most people don’t keep the newest, let alone previous ones.

And white pages may help you call the business owner at home and barter directly or get shop open for you. Especially if you still have gas in the 15-30 day range of the OP.

They used to be a wonderful resource, I’d hit a new town and use their coupons for big dinner discounts, pick seats at event, and use their indexed map. Sadly, they are trimming their non-ad information more and more.

If we ever get thrown back to a time before electricity, I plan on being the guy who makes and fixes things. Having a lathe and a knee mill, and a generator to run them will prove invaluable in a time when there hasn't been electricity for a few months.
    Look at the 49ers. Guy didn’t mine, but humped his grindstone over the pass. All those useless tools suddenly became a commodity again. I think he made out pretty good for the short time it lasted...

12. The Following User Liked This Post By SIR VEYOR

blacksmithden (01-07-2019)

#1 is fitness/health. The ability to quickly carry stuff when evacuating, and to walk and jog up a hill and a few km distance, carrying whatever's important.

There's no point in owning a ___ if you don't know what they're for or how to use them. ... a knee mill
    [humor]

There's no such thing as a 'knee mill', because the human knee can't be milled. It makes no sense owning one.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    [humor]

There's no such thing as a 'knee mill', because the human knee can't be milled. It makes no sense owning one.
    The human knee can in fact be milled. You never know when that could come in handy!
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps Ė each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast