Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Tagged

Quote Originally Posted by Steve MKII View Post
    I will add a bit to this. TRAINING! go take an OFA course. Not the 1 day one. Do the level 2 course (1 week). You might even be able to get your employer to pay for it if they are looking for more first aid attendants. Might just save somebody's life. Also survival training, weapons training, maybe take a basic mechanic course, the list goes on...
    I totally agree! I held up my hand to take OFA 2 when none of my co-workers wanted to. Within a month of completion I saved a co-workers life with knowledge I wouldn't have had without the course.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By 762shooter

chrisc (03-03-2019), Hidyn (06-28-2019)

Just along this line, and since I'm always pushing the idea, joining the local volunteer dept provides you with free training(initial medical training, plus the practice training within the fd) and first hand knowledge of emergency plans for the area.
    You can go from a position of waiting things out to actively helping the community at such times.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

5. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

SIR VEYOR (01-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Look at the 49ers. Guy didnít mine, but humped his grindstone over the pass. All those useless tools suddenly became a commodity again. I think he made out pretty good for the short time it lasted...
    Sort of like Trump's grand-daddy who made his fortune running a bar and brothel in the Yukon.

What about a couple grand cash? If the grid goes down, no debit/credit (happened to me once in Conklin, AB, but I had enough $ for my carton of smokes!).

Lots of good basics covered so far, but I highly recommend protein powder.

It lasts far longer (years) than anything you're going to get fresh, and it's obviously dehydrated so it doesn't weigh that much.

In a starvation-like scenario, protein is almost surely the thing that your body is going to need the most, and unless you're killing something every day, you're out of luck.

One relatively modest 5-pound tub of protein powder will keep your family going for a hell of a long time, though, when rationed properly.

I wouldn't get solid "Whey", though, which is great for post-workout drinks because it's the fastest to absorb, I would get a protein blend like Syntha-6, because it has six different types of proteins (egg, fish, soy, etc) that your body breaks down at different rates, so you'll stay full longer.

If you have access to water and some tubs of protein powder, you're laughing, really.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    ...but I highly recommend protein powder.
    Okay, I don't know anything about the subject and would love to hear from others who have experience using protein powder for prepping/survival. People that have actually used the stuff for purposes other than a workout regime. Can soy be avoided?
    We were told he wasn't ready, now we know he will never be!
    Rewarding 4 years of incompetence and corruption with 4 more years, says a lot about our electorate.

RobertMcC
    Lots of good basics covered so far, but I highly recommend protein powder.

It lasts far longer (years) than anything you're going to get fresh, and it's obviously dehydrated so it doesn't weigh that much.

In a starvation-like scenario, protein is almost surely the thing that your body is going to need the most, and unless you're killing something every day, you're out of luck.

One relatively modest 5-pound tub of protein powder will keep your family going for a hell of a long time, though, when rationed properly.

I wouldn't get solid "Whey", though, which is great for post-workout drinks because it's the fastest to absorb, I would get a protein blend like Syntha-6, because it has six different types of proteins (egg, fish, soy, etc) that your body breaks down at different rates, so you'll stay full longer.

If you have access to water and some tubs of protein powder, you're laughing, really.
    And you wonder why these body builders and such die at a young age ?

In early 2018, an independent, nonprofit organization, Clean Label Project, released the results of a study in which over 130 of the best-selling protein powders were tested for levels of pesticides, heavy metals, bisphenol A (BPA), and other unsafe contaminants.[9] About three-quarters of the powders tested contained detectable levels of lead and cadmium, both of which can cause permanent health concerns, including kidney and brain damage.[10] About half of the powders contained detectable levels of BPA, which disrupts hormones and is linked to numerous health issues. One product was found to contain over 25 times the regulatory limit of BPA in just one serving.[11]

Unfortunately, “organic” products were no better; in fact, products labeled “organic” contained on average over two times the levels of heavy metals of conventional products. Many Americans consume these sports nutrition powders as part of a healthy, exercise-filled lifestyle, not realizing that the contaminants have the potential to cause serious and, in some cases, irreversible damage to their bodies.

Robert,

I appreciate your efforts. Sources? There are some very reputable brands out there.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

RobertMcC
    Robert,

I appreciate your efforts. Sources? There are some very reputable brands out there.
    http://www.center4research.org/prote...arm-than-good/

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast