Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

Things you never think of when prepping

We all know that water, food, and heat are essential preps. I want to hear about stuff that people never think of that will make life a lot easier in say a 30 day emergency. Stuff like tampons/pads - feminine hygiene products for the ladies in your house. A sump pump and hose to get water out of a basement. Stuff like that.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Swampdonkey (12-24-2018)

A bathtub full of water to use to flush the toilet, which won't last 30days, but nice to have for a few days.
    I always fill the tub up when bad weather coming. Standard practice around here but still surprised when people don't get it.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

4. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

Doug_M (12-23-2018), SIR VEYOR (12-23-2018), Swampdonkey (12-24-2018), SwissArmyMan (12-23-2018)

We actually bought our house on high ground of a decent hill but you’re absolutely right - we have a trash pump & hose, a ATS with load shedding capabilities for a 13KW natural gas powered genny along with the food dytrator, smoker etc.... My son blew up his Audi and has my hunting truck and although our LTZ is quite capable it does cause me some stress not to have the winch, air lockered Ol Faithful around..... The wife just looks at me like I’m a loon, even though she gets it to some degree.

Along with 3 cords of Fir and at least one of Bull Pine for the outdoor pit....

Medicine, this is probably my biggest one. It should be in your bug out bag too. If you have any kind of prescription make sure you're stocked up. My recommendation is one year's supply if you can convince your doctor to write you a big enough prescription to be able to stockpile it. Non prescription I'd definitely recommend having some Imodium on hand.

yeah I would say make sure you have all the toiletries. stock up on TP, soap, hand sanitizer, shampoo, razor blades, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, hand lotion, chap stick, tweezers, nail clippers, kleenex, all that little sh*t.

Money/gold and silver coins.

Extra cigarrettes if you smoke, or want something to barter with.

Coffee

A stockpile of Hard liquor, for drinkin', disinfectin' and barterin'. Maybe keep a couple extra six packs on hand.

Extra batteries, battery pack, lighters, duct tape, plastic and garbage bags, candles and lanterns, dusk masks, FA kits, all the stuff your house usually has, just make sure you have enough.

Water filter

Gas for your generator (Duh!)

Things to pass the time with. playing cards, board games, Rubik's cube, books... whatever floats your boat.

I dunno, a lot of these seem obvious but some folks might overlook it. Take a look at your bug out bag list, some of the things that are useful in the wilderness may also be good to have or have extra of at home.

Oh and of course, lots of BACON!

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    A bathtub full of water to use to flush the toilet, which won't last 30days, but nice to have for a few days.
    I always fill the tub up when bad weather coming. Standard practice around here but still surprised when people don't get it.
    Get a rain barrel. We have two. We also keep some of those big water cooler jugs in the garage. Costco sells them https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?...rd=rain+barrel

IMG_20181223_101742954.jpg
    IMG_20181223_101808612.jpg

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Steve MKII

lone-wolf (12-23-2018), Swampdonkey (12-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    My family does that too. A left over from when we had a well with an electric pump -- no electricity, or a frozen line, and no water. A handy bucket to fill the toilets with.

It's a little less needed in the city, where water is fed from a water tower. No electricity, there's still water pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve MKII View Post
    Extra cigarrettes if you smoke, or want something to barter with.
    Whenever I'm out for an extended period with someone who smokes, I always bring along tabacco and rolling papers, just in case they run out or lose theirs.
    Nothing worse than being with somebody with a nicotine fit. My GF dropped her smokes in the water one time while we were camping,
    so I gave her the tabacco and papers. She said she wouldn't even smoke one if I rolled it. Within a couple of hours, she was rolling like a pro.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By wolver

Hidyn (01-02-2019)

Pet food. Don't let the critters starve.

Extra propane tanks.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Steve MKII

Smc (12-23-2018)

I tell everyone to buy a tarp big enough to cover your house, such a simple thing, just over a 100 bucks for a 30x40. In an earthquake your roof may leak, if a tree falls, fire etc. House may be livable, but not for long if there's water coming in. Or if you need to leave your property, it will make a nice shelter.

14. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Greglc

blacksmithden (12-23-2018), Grain (01-04-2019), Swampdonkey (12-24-2018)

Since buying a house I prep a little.

I got a small kerosene heater. But I might upgrade to a diesel one. Be cheaper and diesel is easier to find. Just run it outside with a hose into the house.

I live way above a flood area, so I don't need to have power for the sump, or sand bags.

I always have tones of dog food and catfood. Always tones of Tampons and stuff for the wife.

Water I got a well in my basement and backup water supply is bucket and rope.

Maybe I should grab a extra propane tank, and I was thinking getting a small wood camp stove.

Only thing I really don't got anything other than candles, are lights and generator.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

16. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

Swampdonkey (12-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve MKII View Post
    Non prescription I'd definitely recommend having some Imodium on hand.
    Imodium, antacids, and ibuprofen are 3 things that must be where ever I am. Headaches, heartburn, and the runs will make working or just getting by a misery.
    Benadryl can be added to that, but I'm not really allergic to anything I know of.
    They're pretty common items to have in your house but I figured I'd go into detail since I find them so essential.

Butane single burner stoves and extra cans are my go to for cooking.
    Nescafe 3in1 for some instant coffee

Hard to think of much beyond the regular things, 30days for a lot of people won't be too crazy unless they just don't have the supplies stacked.
    ... currently at my own place, I do not...
    Unless I get snowed in, or transportation of goods to the island breaks down, venturing out to get more supplies shouldn't be a big issue.(have cash will travel)
    Drop by the amish or my parents for fresh eggs.
    Get that woodstove with a cook top so I don't even need to use the butane stove.
    Bottled water for personal use, jugs of grey water/tub/rain for flushing(or a bucket and a bag of sawdust for #2s)
    Single man, shouldn't be hard to stack enough bottled water for myself.

Kind of just rambled on there.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast