Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water pump advice, Honda vs others

I am in need of a water pump to move potable water from a 1200 gal tank into my well and probably other projects as the need arises, but I am torn on which way to go as far as brand. I am looking at a 2" pump since that is what I have for hoses and fittings already.

I already purchased a couple of used 2" Honda gx pumps with honda brand pump assemblies on them from a local helicopter outfit for cheap but they were used to transfer jet fuel into aircraft. I initially thought that I could tear them down, clean them out and replace the seals but have decided against that as the risk of contamination is too high for me. I am considering buying a new pump assembly for one and mating it to one of these engines but haven't been able to call and find out if that is cost effective or not yet.

So if I go the route of a whole new unit is it worth getting a Honda vs a powerfist at Princess Auto, or a Red Lion or BX at Peavy Mart. Has anyone looked at a Yamaha unit? Subaru is out of the small engine game so they are no longer an option. I want something that is always going to start reliably and has parts availability for the inevitable carb repairs when I forget to stabilize the fuel before storage. I'm not going to be putting a ton of hours on it but just hate to buy junk and regret it afterwards.
    Lifetime Member PAPRC, SHA
    Member NFA, NRA, SRAC, FMFG, SFC

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    First, if you tear a pump right down and replace all of the permeable components inside, theres nothing left to be contaminated. That said, I fully understand that there will be no convincing some people (wives) who just dont understand and dont want to understand.

My view on this is Honda, Honda, and Honda. Parts are available all over the planet. They're the most reliable by any standard. They're pretty easy to work on. I've had my hands into small engines for 45ish years. I've played with them all and fixed them all. None of my projects will ever get another manufacturers name put into them as far as engines go. They're usually the most expensive, and they're worth every dime extra you pay over a similar size small engine.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

chrisc (04-01-2019), Rory McCanuck (04-01-2019)

Since it’s from a tank into a well/cistern how about a white RV “water only” hose and gravity?

A siphon effect can deal with a small rise along the run as long as the bottom is lower than the tank water level. It’s time consuming, but is set it and forget it. The 2” hoses would probably do it as well, but to get them started could be tricky.

Guessing it’s a tote with 2” fittings already? Then the 2” hoses quicker payoff, but the white hose will work through the top.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By SIR VEYOR

chrisc (04-01-2019)

RobertMcC
    All waters pumps are is a metal housing, with a metal impeller attached to the crank. You could take it apart easy and clean it. And make it safe to transfer water.

Working in a small engine shop, Honda was the best motors.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

chrisc (04-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    First, if you tear a pump right down and replace all of the permeable components inside, theres nothing left to be contaminated. That said, I fully understand that there will be no convincing some people (wives) who just dont understand and dont want to understand.

My view on this is Honda, Honda, and Honda. Parts are available all over the planet. They're the most reliable by any standard. They're pretty easy to work on. I've had my hands into small engines for 45ish years. I've played with them all and fixed them all. None of my projects will ever get another manufacturers name put into them as far as engines go. They're usually the most expensive, and they're worth every dime extra you pay over a similar size small engine.
    What's a permeable pump part? I guess if you are calling all the parts that allow fluid to pass, just never heard it called that.

Corey

I'd go powerfist from princess auto. But look for the one that is the clone of the Honda engine. Think Norinco but for engines. Some will even take Honda parts.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By JustBen

chrisc (04-01-2019), Rory McCanuck (04-01-2019)

If the pump got gunked up with rust or something, you'd probably use something very similar to jet fuel to clean it out.
    And, the amount of water that goes through a pump like that compared to how much fuel residue could actually transfer into it should make it a non issue.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

blacksmithden (04-01-2019), chrisc (04-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Since it’s from a tank into a well/cistern how about a white RV “water only” hose and gravity?

A siphon effect can deal with a small rise along the run as long as the bottom is lower than the tank water level. It’s time consuming, but is set it and forget it. The 2” hoses would probably do it as well, but to get them started could be tricky.

Guessing it’s a tote with 2” fittings already? Then the 2” hoses quicker payoff, but the white hose will work through the top.
    I've been hauling all winter and I've been gravity draining up until now. It's a 1200 gallon tank that I load onto a single axle flatdeck towtruck that I have. In the winter or when it's dry enough I can back the truck up to the well and offload without issue but the well is surrounded by lawn and once the frost let's out until it's pretty dry (probably juneish) I won't be able to get that close with the truck as I'll be pushing 30,000lbs loaded. Our yard can be pretty soft when you get off the driveway. My plan for conditions like this is to park the truck in the driveway and run hose up a little bit of a hill to the well and pump the water up. It would probably still gravity drain most of the tank without a pump but I'm thinking it would be slower and it may or may not get the whole tank that way. Probably worth a try but a pump has been on my hit list for a while now anyway.

15. The Following User Liked This Post By chrisc

SIR VEYOR (04-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post

That was my thought as well, just replace any seal or part that isn't metal and scrub out all the metal parts, reassemble then run the pump circulating a bucket filled with spray nine or something similar followed by the running about 1000 gals of water through it into the field or something should have it pretty safe. I have a family member (not the wife) that is dead convinced that I will never get it all and will contaminate the well. I'll probably still tear one apart just to see what I see but it's probably worth getting a new pump housing for the task or difft pump altogether just to save the conversations in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast